Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-24-2008, 06:09 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

I have a 2003 Itasca Sunrise 32ft. It has been in storage for about a year - although I regularly start and run it every month. However, this time I noticed the airconditioner does not emit cold air - is it possible I could have lost freon, or what other possible mechanical hangup could it be?
ljelinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 06:09 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I have a 2003 Itasca Sunrise 32ft. It has been in storage for about a year - although I regularly start and run it every month. However, this time I noticed the airconditioner does not emit cold air - is it possible I could have lost freon, or what other possible mechanical hangup could it be?
Old 05-24-2008, 06:16 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

The air conditioner I am speaking of is the one on the engine, not the roof mounted acs.
Old 05-24-2008, 06:55 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

You sure could have lost some of the charge. Go to pep boys and buy the 134-
a recharge kit and read the directions and fill R up. I just did mine.
2001 32-V Suncruiser,Ford V-10, 310 HP, 4 Koni FSD's, KVH Tracvision,trickle charge, awning travel lock, 1 dinning room slide; no roof leaks, 03malibu toad sometimes, Blackhawk all terrain towbar, Roadmaster brake Pro,1 wife,1 westy, life is good!
bobpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 06:15 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

As a quick test, feel the suction side of the compressor - it should be very cold and condensing moisture (if you aren't at 5% ambient humidity!) If you don't know what side is the suction side, feel both lines on the compressor - one should be very hot, and one very cold (or at least not hot if you have lost Freon.)

All of this assumes the compressor clutch is actually energizing and the compressor is rotating/pumping.

If the clutch is engaged and the compressor is operating and the suction side is not really cold, then you have most likely lost Freon. The best way to add is by using a gauge set and monitoring suction/discharge pressures, but you can get away with adding a can or three by:

Hook up one can and keep it upright - open the valve and let the Freon into the system while holding with your hand the suction side line. When this line starts to get really cold, add a few seconds more of Freon and you should be about at the right charge.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 06:27 PM   #6

What is the brand of Chassis? It makes a difference in the correct answer you will get.
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 11:00 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I have a Ford chassis. V-10 engine
Old 05-25-2008, 11:03 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

I cannot understand what difference the brand of chassis would make. AC is independent of chassis.

John C. has given the best answer for the question. Else, take it to a pro.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 04:24 PM   #9

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by hamguy:
I cannot understand what difference the brand of chassis would make. AC is independent of chassis.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It makes a BIG difference what type of chassis you have.

The Workhorse Chassis Condenser air is part of the Chassis, and before 2007, was located in FRONT of the radiator, now it has been relocated and called a "cool pack" by Workhorse, and the dash air is MUCH more effecient.

Also, the preceding year model Workhorse Chassis' dash air will blow warm air when your motorhome is stopped and idleing, and has been the subject of many posts in the Workhorse Forum.

Also, if he had a Workhorse Chassis, I would have him install an Evans Valve in the heater line as most of us have done with our Workhorse Chassis Dash Air.

The Ford Chassis Air will be a different system.
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 05:47 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Oh, yes. The hot air blast, but I was referring to the basic operation of a freon based AC unit. Was the OP referring to the hot air at rest?

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote