Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-08-2007, 11:32 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

I have an '06 Vectra and while camping we noticed the air conditioning was'nt coming out very strong in the coach. While inspecting the duct from the basement air unit I noticed the "tape" had come undone and cold air was blowing out from the bottom. I used some duct tape to seal the duct but was wondering if others had this problem and what "fix" they used. It seems to be working now much better but I am sure the tape will eventually come off with the heat. Other fixes?
jtharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 11:32 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I have an '06 Vectra and while camping we noticed the air conditioning was'nt coming out very strong in the coach. While inspecting the duct from the basement air unit I noticed the "tape" had come undone and cold air was blowing out from the bottom. I used some duct tape to seal the duct but was wondering if others had this problem and what "fix" they used. It seems to be working now much better but I am sure the tape will eventually come off with the heat. Other fixes?
Old 06-08-2007, 12:45 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Jim

Winnebago had some problems in the '03 timeframe with the ac duct separating behind the rear cap. Owners could feel the right side of the rear cap on a hot day and find it cool due to the escaping air behind the cap. For some, the separation was where it could not be reached without removing the rear cap. Sounds like ours is where you can reach it.

Either way, I recommend you talk to Winnebago Owner Relations at 800-537-1885 or email to [email protected]. Be prepared to give them your coach s/n. I would imagine on an '06, they would be very likely to take some responsibility for the repair.

Now, if I can just get their $ assistance with my water leak problem ...
Old 06-08-2007, 01:15 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">was wondering if others had this problem and what "fix" they used </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jim,

This appears to be an ongoing problem with coaches build over several years.

We have a 2005 Horizon and had the same problem. The factory retaped the ducts running up to the roof in the back cab, but I am noticing some leakage of cold air developing again. (They must have a real skinny guy working in Forest City who is able to reach up into the cab and get at the duct work as they completed it in an hour).

The factory repair procedure according to my dealer is to remove the back cab and retape it. I think that short of taping all the way around the duct instead of just along the seam of the two duct halves the problem will not get resolved.

I will be addressing this problem again with Winnebago as I am sure that the leakage will be getting worse with time passing.
Harry B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 06:28 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

try the eternabond tape on the joints....it wont come loose again...
peter griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 08:17 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I will try the eternabond....I hate to think of my dealer having to take off the back cap for a fix.

thanks
Old 06-09-2007, 02:41 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

There is also a rotocast "Y" where the ducting splits into two legs about half-way up the back cap. Winnie had some problems with the part splitting and of course leaking air.

Probably a "touch test" or better yet a non-contact thermometer used on the cap (with the AC running full blast) will determine if you have problems in the ducting area.

I think the rear-cap ducting has been redesigned but I haven't had a factory tour in a quite a while to see the differences (if any.)

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 08:13 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

The eternabond works great!!! What a good product to have around for a host of reasons that might pop up.