Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-03-2014, 07:09 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Air chuck location

I know someone can help me with this. I just purchased a 2002 Ultimate Advantage 40J. I can't seem to find the air chuck that a tow truck driver would use to pressurize the air brakes. Would someone point me in the right direction.

Thanks!
Gezergonwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 07:14 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gezergonwild View Post
I know someone can help me with this. I just purchased a 2002 Ultimate Advantage 40J. I can't seem to find the air chuck that a tow truck driver would use to pressurize the air brakes. Would someone point me in the right direction.

Thanks!
Not familiar with your model but try looking in the front compartment around the generator. That's where mine is. I also keep a matching male end tied to the female connector just in case the hose from the tow truck does not match.
Old 02-03-2014, 08:24 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Air chuck location

Thanks, Dennis. That's the area that I was looking in. Maybe I just need a better flash light. Thanks too for the male end idea.

Paul
Old 02-04-2014, 06:23 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Paul...Mine is to the driver's side and a little above of the generator.....

Chiefbvfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 05:27 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Thanks, Terry. Indeed it was in the area you advised. However, it is not what I expected. I thought I would find a quick disconnect fitting like you have on air tools. Instead it is simply a Schrader valve like you find on tires. I guess it will work just fine, I was just hoping I would find a fitting I could use to air up my tires etc.
Old 02-04-2014, 06:29 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I have recently purchased a 2002 UA 40J and was told it was on the passenger side low on the fire wall by the generator.
I have not located it due to the miserable weather we have been having.
If there is only an air fitting I would look into installing a "T" fitting with a valve and quick connect.
Many happy miles ahead in your UA
"Everyone Goes Home"
depchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 06:47 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Mine was on a manifold block that had several air lines attached and a couple of plugs. I removed one of the plugs and installed a valve ahead of a quick disconnect fitting. Tow trucks use a small air hose with a chuck that will lock on the Schrader valve.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 06:56 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Just curious about what others have found, but when I attempted to use the air from my coach I found the tires needed 110 PSI and when I applied the chuck to the stem it actually drained out more air. The pressure from the coach's supply was less than the tires held.
Old 02-05-2014, 09:13 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by depchief View Post
I have recently purchased a 2002 UA 40J and was told it was on the passenger side low on the fire wall by the generator.
I have not located it due to the miserable weather we have been having.
If there is only an air fitting I would look into installing a "T" fitting with a valve and quick connect.
Many happy miles ahead in your UA
Larry,

I've been told that if you start the engine and pump the brakes a few times it will use up some air pressure and cause the compressor to kick in. Wait until the pressure indicator on your instrument panel is above the psi that you want to put into your tire then it will air up.
Old 02-05-2014, 09:50 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Had a few hours of decent weather this morning. Found the air connection. Located on the drivers side, above the generator and lined up with the windshield wiper penetration.
Easy to see if you pull the generator out.
"Everyone Goes Home"
depchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 10:01 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

The onboard chuck will air up your tires, but anything over 100psi will take a very long time. I bought a portable compressor at Sears that works much better, and also is useful for air tools. It is model# 919.153090. I added an in-line water filter to keep moisture out.
Old 02-05-2014, 01:54 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Sounds logical
Thanks
Old 02-05-2014, 01:59 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckiest Dreamer View Post
Just curious about what others have found, but when I attempted to use the air from my coach I found the tires needed 110 PSI and when I applied the chuck to the stem it actually drained out more air. The pressure from the coach's supply was less than the tires held.
There are a couple of ways to go. One is to carry a portable compressor or, if you're like me and need space for the golf clubs and fishing gear, you can use the on board compressor. I have this set up and have used it. It is a little slow but gets the job done and don't take up valuable space.

Tags
cat