Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2013, 08:00 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

air bag pressure

how much air in 2005 29' sightseer air bags.

How does uneven or low pressure effect tire wear and ride?

Thanks
Eric27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:58 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

I just replaced mine last November. I am currently running with 70 psi in them. I found out mine had lost all their air when I noticed my three year old front tires had seriously abnormal wear on the inside tread. Don't think the airbags were flat very long but honestly I had never checked them. Had to replace tie rod and control arm components that were damaged plus two new tires. The new airbags have air lines I routed to the front of the rig in the head light area. Now I check the pressure whenever I check the tires.
Old 04-20-2013, 01:44 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

In my previous motor home, a Coachman 35' , my owners manual stated to park the mh on a flat level surface and measure the distance from the rear bumper area (did not have an actual bumper). Both sides should be even, each rear air bag may or may not have the same pressure. The coach should be fairly close to level front to rear also with out jacks lowered. I preferred to have a slight rake towards the front, the rear was about 2" higher than the front. I never had any abnormal wear on any of my tires or any steering problems. My pressure just happened to be the same for both rear air bags at 65 psi.
dsbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 03:53 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsbike View Post
In my previous motor home, a Coachman 35' , my owners manual stated to park the mh on a flat level surface and measure the distance from the rear bumper area (did not have an actual bumper). Both sides should be even, each rear air bag may or may not have the same pressure. The coach should be fairly close to level front to rear also with out jacks lowered. I preferred to have a slight rake towards the front, the rear was about 2" higher than the front. I never had any abnormal wear on any of my tires or any steering problems. My pressure just happened to be the same for both rear air bags at 65 psi.
Hope this isn't stealing the thread but are you supposed to have ride level checked with mh fully loaded and toad attached. Mine seems kinda down in the back when ready to go. Could (should ) this be corrected by air bag pressure? Yes I have checked weight and I am right on the maximum for the rear axle.
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 07:41 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I do believe you should be fully loaded and ready to hit the highway. In my train of thought the air bag psi should be set the way you want the motor home to travel. Hope this answers your question.
dsbike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:30 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Great help
Eric27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 11:38 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Problem with setting ride heights according to personal preference is the suspension may not be in its optimum position for specified suspension travel.

Yes, ideally the MH needs to be loaded for a trip and then the airbag pressures individually adjusted to give the specified ride height. Height is what is being controlled, not pressure.
Once you have done it once or twice you will know what pressure corresponds to the right height so can set it and check it using pressure rather than a ruler - but that only applies if the loadings are fairly similar and if the MH ever looks to be not sitting right, then you need to check heights and adjust pressures accordingly.
Old 04-22-2013, 05:39 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

I experimented with air bag pressure at 10 lb increments stating at 30 psi. I finally found the optimum pressure for my coach and load was 55 psi. It rode and handled like a dream at that pressure. Checked A/B pressure before every trip. Anything that makes that much difference in the ride and handling of the coach is worth the effort.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:15 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric27 View Post
how much air in 2005 29' sightseer air bags.

How does uneven or low pressure effect tire wear and ride?

Thanks
The minimum recommended pressure is #50. Pressures should be the same in both bags. There is a minimum ride hight specified by Workhorse that mut be maintained also. Failure to do so will result in excessive tread wear and possible failure of the springs.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:22 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Where are the air lines/intakes located? We have a new to us 2000 Adventurer Workhorse chassis. Original owner left a note that his optimal pressure was 70 lbs on all 4 bags. Coach sat unused for a year and a half and I would like to check the pressures & seals. A Pace Arrow i was looking at had the valves located inside some of the cargo hatches but I can't locate mine yet. Thanks
Old 04-30-2013, 05:24 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

I am not familiar with what Winnebage may have done. The easiest way to locate the fill valves would be to follow the lines from the bags.
If there are bags on the rear axle they are aftermatket, not installed by Workhorse.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:53 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Yes no rear airbags installed. Went by the coach after work and found the Workhorse Chassis Manuals from the previous owner and saw that there are only the 2 front suspension air cylinders. One was at 40#'s and the other a little less. Brought them up to 70#'s as that was what was recommended in the manual for my GVWR. Will check again after getting it out for a drive this weekend. May have to have rear bags installed as I am looking at putting an Overbilt Motorcycle Lift on the rear. The shop is only a few hours away in NY state & hope to stop by one day next week.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:11 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemcgin View Post
Yes no rear airbags installed. Went by the coach after work and found the Workhorse Chassis Manuals from the previous owner and saw that there are only the 2 front suspension air cylinders. One was at 40#'s and the other a little less. Brought them up to 70#'s as that was what was recommended in the manual for my GVWR. Will check again after getting it out for a drive this weekend. May have to have rear bags installed as I am looking at putting an Overbilt Motorcycle Lift on the rear. The shop is only a few hours away in NY state & hope to stop by one day next week.
If you added air pressure without first fully extending the front suspension, it was not done properly and the bags will not fully expand and morte than likely the ride height is not what it should be.
The information on how to do it right and check the ride hight should be in the manual.
Failure to maintain the ride hight will cause excessive tire wear.
Old 05-01-2013, 03:51 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Had the front jacks deployed & the springs/bags fully extended. Couldn't measure the height afterward as it is stored on an unpaved & uneven lot but will put that on the list of things to go thru this weekend.
Old 05-01-2013, 04:16 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Sounds good Joe. Enjoy your RV.