Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-16-2007, 09:46 PM   #1

We recently took possession of our new (2006) Sightseer (29 feet) and love it...so far. But, coming from four other larger RV's over the past few years, we are missing having a hydraulic jack system. There are no jacks on this Sightseer. So far, that is the only disappointing thing we have experienced with this RV.

Does anyone have experience or information per aftermarket jack systems (preferably hydraulic) for a Class A "jackless" motorhome (especially the shorter Sightseer)? We can find no information on aftermarket hydraulic jack systems...even good ole Camping World doesn't get into this market.

Thanks for any information and/or opinions.
ejlcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 09:46 PM   #2

We recently took possession of our new (2006) Sightseer (29 feet) and love it...so far. But, coming from four other larger RV's over the past few years, we are missing having a hydraulic jack system. There are no jacks on this Sightseer. So far, that is the only disappointing thing we have experienced with this RV.

Does anyone have experience or information per aftermarket jack systems (preferably hydraulic) for a Class A "jackless" motorhome (especially the shorter Sightseer)? We can find no information on aftermarket hydraulic jack systems...even good ole Camping World doesn't get into this market.

Thanks for any information and/or opinions.
Old 03-17-2007, 02:54 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

ejlcom - Welcome to the forum! Glad you're enjoying your new Sightseer. When you say CW is not into hydraulic levelers, are you going by their web site or have you actually talked to them? I had previously noticed they had no jacks on their web page, but their printed catalog (2006) shows all the HWH varieties. I don't have a 2007 catalog yet, but they've been selling HWH for years. Give them a call and be prepared to spends lots of money.
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 04:45 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Take a look at the HWH site. They have a page called "Match Maker" which has software for matching a leveling system to your coach.

Here's a link to the page:
http://www.hwh.com/matchmaker4.html

They make several systems that are designed to be installed after market. I'm sure it's going to be time consuming, take some mechanical ability, and of course some tools, but it can be done.
Old 03-17-2007, 07:03 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

We had Camping World add HWH levelrs to our class c several years ago. As far as I know they still sell and install them.

Also look at Big Foot levelers.

Ken
Old 03-17-2007, 09:22 AM   #6

Thanks to all of you who have responded to my inquiry about aftermarket jacks. To answer the question about CW: no, I don't have a catalog. For some reason, CW doesn't send me catalogs, although I do receive the frequent newspaper-style flyers. I've been a President's Club member for several years, so guess I should pose this catalog issue with CW. Therefore, the information I had was via the CW website. I appreciate your letting me know that CW does, indeed, install hydraulic leveling jacks. Yes, I am aware I'll spend some serious bucks on this!

I did see the web information on the Big Foot jacks but wonder where one gets these installed. I can imagine the installation would be difficult for the nonprofessional (meaning, us), right?

I appreciate the promptness of your responses and for the great suggestions and very useful information provided to me from this forum's members. I previously participated in another owners' forum for a fifth wheel we had (less than a year because we decided fifth wheeling just wasn't for us...so we have returned to our beloved Class A style) and found that particular forum to be vastly helpful. Our conclusion is that these owner's forums are an essential part of owning an RV. And...this Winnebago owners' forum is right up there at the top!
Old 03-17-2007, 09:36 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

I had Big Foot Levelers on a class "C" a few years ago. They worked quite well. They are also a little easier for after-market install since each leveler leg has it's own pump so you don't have to run hydraulic lines. One caution - they use the pump to retract (no springs) - the pumps make a rather loud high pitched noise. If you're trying to make a quiet early morning getaway, when you hit the "All Up" button and lite off all 4 pumps it's not gonna be a quiet getaway.

That was about 6 years ago, so they may have changed by now. Just be sure to ask, if you consider using them. Except for the noise, I thought it was a very good system, fully automatic leveling and probably a lot less than HWH.
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote