Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-20-2013, 06:36 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Adding weight in slide? Do we or don't we.

We have a 2005 Meridian with 3 slides. The 2 up front are opposing slides and 1 has the refrigerator. The fridge is a 4 door over size but not really residential. We took out the big tv the home came with (very heavy) and replaced with a flat screen. I want to put in my 70 pound sewing cabinet that hubby built for me. He is worried about weight. Our compartments are out when the slides are out as well. Should we or shouldn't we add weight on the slide? The compartments below only have my sewing containers and I don't think they add lots of weight, not like tools or something.
Y Roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 07:00 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Seems to me that if you could ride the slide while it's going out, it can handle a sewing cabinet. The slide works with the refrigerator full or empty doesn't it?

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 09:35 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Your owners manul should address this question, if not, phone Winnebago Owner Relations at: 800-537-1885 and ask them. Have your VIN and coach serial number in hand, they must have that information to answer. There is a weight limit for the basement compartments under the slide, can't remember the number right now.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 12:22 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

If I am correct, your basement is located on the slides. Our '05 Vectra was that way. We inadvertently overloaded the slide and had much trouble.

If you don't carry much heavy stuff in the basement or overhead cabinets you should be OK. Losing the weight of that old 'tube' is a good start.

My DW loves to sew but she uses folding tables for her hobby.
Old 11-22-2013, 11:49 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
Seems to me that if you could ride the slide while it's going out, it can handle a sewing cabinet. The slide works with the refrigerator full or empty doesn't it?
Ride the slides, NOT good. Depending on the owners manual it states NOT to have anyone in the slides while in motion.
Old 11-23-2013, 09:39 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGewl View Post
Ride the slides, NOT good. Depending on the owners manual it states NOT to have anyone in the slides while in motion.
I agree it's probably not SAFE to ride the slide. Does the manual explain why? I was just using riding the slide as an example. Seems to me it's probably a legal factor put in by lawyers rather than engineers. Pinching and crushing could be an issue company lawyers don't want for liability. Any slide that has built in compartments obviously must be designed to move more than empty weight. As I said earlier, they don't specify fridge must be empty, do they? Y Roadrunner said they replaced the CRT TV with a lighter flat screen, so they are aware of weights. I'd think that if they don't put a large tool box, canned goods, or other heavy items in the compartments below the slide a 70 lb sewing cabinet shouldn't dangerously overtax the slide.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 10:44 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

On that coach, which used the HWH hydraulic slides, you will not have a problem. When they were designed, with the compartments attached to the slideout, they were designed to handle quite a bit of weight. If memory serves, it was something like 800lbs. Go ahead and install the sewing cabinet, especially if you have already taken out the TV and replaced with a flat screen.
forest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 05:26 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

forest has it right. the no ride rule is for electric slides if its people or material, it still rides in and out with the slide. its more important to distribute the weight evenly on electric slides.
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 06:07 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I was told by a tech at GNR that each slide compartment was rated for 300lbs. You can figure out if you're within those limits by subtracting the TV weight and estimating the weight in the slides. I've moved the heavy stuff to the non-slide cargo bays and even with a 25 CF residential refer I haven't had any noticeable strain on the slides. If your stuff is in plastic tubs, you can remove them during in/out motion. I wouldn't worry too much, those slide rails and the HWH are pretty strong.

Our blog
Keith K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 06:29 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Keith has it right. When we owned our Journey with the 'Store More' slides, Winnebago advised there was a 300lb limit for those compartments.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 07:05 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Our 70lb dog rides in and out on the sofa that is on our store more slide. We did not learn about the 300lb limit for the storage cabinets until we had owned our MH for a few years. I had tools and other stuff that I really don't know the weight of in them. Now we are having a problem getting the slide in without it catching and ripping the carpet. Had it in for service and after three weeks and $2600 we have two plastic gadgets to stuff under it and they are becoming increasingly difficult to get under. Back to the dealer in the spring when we go north. They agree that the glides they gave us was not a $2600 fix so they say they will make it right. I hope so.

That was not to scare you into not putting your sewing cabinet on yours. The TV is a good start so I would just see what is in the storage compartments and decide if it is heavy. This is assuming it is a store more flat floor slide. Our opposing slide that just travels straight in and out and the bedroom slide have been no problem.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 06:12 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD4Mark View Post
Our 70lb dog rides in and out on the sofa that is on our store more slide. We did not learn about the 300lb limit for the storage cabinets until we had owned our MH for a few years. I had tools and other stuff that I really don't know the weight of in them. Now we are having a problem getting the slide in without it catching and ripping the carpet. Had it in for service and after three weeks and $2600 we have two plastic gadgets to stuff under it and they are becoming increasingly difficult to get under. Back to the dealer in the spring when we go north. They agree that the glides they gave us was not a $2600 fix so they say they will make it right. I hope so.

That was not to scare you into not putting your sewing cabinet on yours. The TV is a good start so I would just see what is in the storage compartments and decide if it is heavy. This is assuming it is a store more flat floor slide. Our opposing slide that just travels straight in and out and the bedroom slide have been no problem.
Have yourselves a merry little vacation and make an appointment with the factory in Forest City, IA. Most dealers don't know what they are doing and charge outrageous labor rates just to add insult to injury. If you don't belong to the WIT club join a couple of months before you go. You get a 10% discount on parts and in the store but it takes 30 days for your membership to become 'activated' in the system.

After several slide issues with our previous coach, an '05 Vectra 40FD, we went to the factory. The folks were great, the price reasonable (comparatively speaking) and the work was completed correctly and in a timely manner. Pedestals are provided on a first come first camp bases. In most cases you can stay in your coach each night.

I hope you get these issues corrected before things get worse.

Happy trails,
Rick
Old 11-25-2013, 07:56 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

We have the fridge on the side we wanted to add the sewing cabinet to. Glad to hear about the 300 pounds for the basement compartments. We weren't sure.
We just figured with the fridge already on that side, we didn't want to overload it, even though the cabinet is just a little more than that heavy tv.
We're leaving the cabinet in storage here at his parents. We can come back later if we decide to try it. I may call the number Ray,in gave me today.

Thanks everyone and happy thanksgiving!
Y Roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 04:53 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
Have yourselves a merry little vacation and make an appointment with the factory in Forest City, IA. Most dealers don't know what they are doing and charge outrageous labor rates just to add insult to injury. If you don't belong to the WIT club join a couple of months before you go. You get a 10% discount on parts and in the store but it takes 30 days for your membership to become 'activated' in the system.

After several slide issues with our previous coach, an '05 Vectra 40FD, we went to the factory. The folks were great, the price reasonable (comparatively speaking) and the work was completed correctly and in a timely manner. Pedestals are provided on a first come first camp bases. In most cases you can stay in your coach each night.

I hope you get these issues corrected before things get worse.

Happy trails,
Rick
Thanks fo the info Rick. We plan to give the dealer another shot at it but don't plan on paying any more. If that doesn't work the factory may be the only answer. The dealer we went to has very good reviews at rvservicereviews so we will see if they live uo to it.
Old 11-27-2013, 08:20 AM   #15
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Thanks fo the info Rick. We plan to give the dealer another shot at it but don't plan on paying any more. If that doesn't work the factory may be the only answer. The dealer we went to has very good reviews at rvservicereviews so we will see if they live uo to it.
We had a botched mess from a Winnebago dealer. The factory corrected the problem and charged the fix back to the dealer. Just let the factory know what Winne dealer failed to fix your problem, if it is not fixed. I hope you are not forced to go that route as we were.
Old 11-28-2013, 08:41 AM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
We had a botched mess from a Winnebago dealer. The factory corrected the problem and charged the fix back to the dealer. Just let the factory know what Winne dealer failed to fix your problem, if it is not fixed. I hope you are not forced to go that route as we were.
They are actually a former Winnebago dealer. A market thing not a problem with Winnebago. The nearest Winnebago dealer is much closer but our experience with them plus the terrible ratings at RV Service Reviews sent us to them even though they are two hours away. The next closest Winne dealer is more like three hours away and had so-so ratings.

They do sound willing to make it right but I hope they don't mean at added expense after all we have spent already.
Old 11-29-2013, 06:45 AM   #17
Winnebago Master

Quote:
They are actually a former Winnebago dealer. A market thing not a problem with Winnebago. The nearest Winnebago dealer is much closer but our experience with them plus the terrible ratings at RV Service Reviews sent us to them even though they are two hours away. The next closest Winne dealer is more like three hours away and had so-so ratings.

They do sound willing to make it right but I hope they don't mean at added expense after all we have spent already.
I remember a high school teacher often saying "The road to Hell is paved with good intentions." I know many of us have been on that road as we drive to the RV service shop.

I hope all is corrected to your satisfaction, and quickly in your time standards and not theirs.

Happy trails, long and trouble free.
Rick

Tags
slide, weight