Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-20-2016, 08:34 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Adding Antifreeze

So, I am asking this out of lazyness sitting in my recliner. My check engine light warning came on telling me the water level is low. When I attempted to add water to the expansion tank I could not get the cap off because it has tabs that prevent that. I know the warning is on because the fluid just needs topped off and the sensor is at the add line. How do I get that cap off? or is there a better option?
Old 01-20-2016, 09:10 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckiest Dreamer View Post
So, I am asking this out of lazyness sitting in my recliner. My check engine light warning came on telling me the water level is low. When I attempted to add water to the expansion tank I could not get the cap off because it has tabs that prevent that. I know the warning is on because the fluid just needs topped off and the sensor is at the add line. How do I get that cap off? or is there a better option?
First, make sure you have the right tools for the job; beer, a rag and some premixed 50/50 coolant. In my coach, you also need a funnel that goes uphill, defying gravity, or you can flip the coach over on its top. Next, check around the ground under the engine and radiator for signs of leaking fluid; you'll likely spill some while adding, and this would dilute your evidence. If you find leakage, figure out where it is coming from before you add good to bad. Then, you need to press DOWN fairly hard on the cap before you turn it COUNTERCLOCKWISE. (HINT: turn it clockwise before you press down to ensure it is not against the removal stops.) There is likely a safety stop betwen full on tight and fully off, you'll have to press down again here while you continue to turn CCW. Make sure the engine (and the beer) is cold.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 09:22 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMac View Post
First, make sure you have the right tools for the job; beer, a rag and some premixed 50/50 coolant. In my coach, you also need a funnel that goes uphill, defying gravity, or you can flip the coach over on its top. Next, check around the ground under the engine and radiator for signs of leaking fluid; you'll likely spill some while adding, and this would dilute your evidence. If you find leakage, figure out where it is coming from before you add good to bad. Then, you need to press DOWN fairly hard on the cap before you turn it COUNTERCLOCKWISE. (HINT: turn it clockwise before you press down to ensure it is not against the removal stops.) There is likely a safety stop betwen full on tight and fully off, you'll have to press down again here while you continue to turn CCW. Make sure the engine (and the beer) is cold.
I did attempt to push down hard and was unable to get past the stops. It must be that I did not have the beer close enuf. However I wonder if anyone with a 2012 era Winnebago Journey and a 380 Cummins may have an answer as it may have the same set up that I Have?
Old 01-20-2016, 08:07 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

You should - read need to - check your Freightliner owners guide and determine the correct antifreeze. You MUST add the correct fluid or you will have problems. It is not the same type as you would use in your car. Call freightliner with your VIN number if you are having troube getting the type that is used on your coach.
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 10:11 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmac View Post
You should - read need to - check your Freightliner owners guide and determine the correct antifreeze. You MUST add the correct fluid or you will have problems. It is not the same type as you would use in your car. Call freightliner with your VIN number if you are having troube getting the type that is used on your coach.
Excellent point!
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 01:47 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Bob,

Just a thought as I attended the Freightliner service school in Gaffney SC and am now a verified "Know it all" .

Seriously, ask Freightliner about the test strips to check the effectiveness and corrosion parameters of the existing coolant. At best you may need to put in additives, or at 7 years need to flush and change.

You don't want to buy a radiator!!!!

One more thought, how long since the outside has been cleaned? Wow, too much knowledge really is dangerous.

The above is all my own .02.

John
TarasParents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 02:16 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

John
I carry the same credentials but it is Luckiest Dreamer who asked the question. You and I know it all from Camp Freightliner ....... we really just know enough to be dangerous!!!!
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 02:29 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Now for the 5Million dollar question............Why is it low?
Old 01-23-2016, 02:45 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Sorry Bob,

My advanced age shows from time to time!

Knew I liked you for some reason, Now I know why. While I was lax in digesting all the info provided, sure had no problem digesting the food.

I know you know what I mean! Had to adjust up the left front tire pressure when we left there.

Best regards fellow "gradjenat".
TarasParents is offline   Reply With Quote