Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-07-2013, 08:58 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

add freon to dash ac

I have a 2001 Winnebago 35U with Ford chassis and my dash AC isn't very cold. When we get back home, I will take my rig in for service, however until then I bought some Freon to charge my AC and I want to make sure I add it correctly. I tried looking on the Winnebago site for a service manual, with no luck. I have charged the AC on my Tahoe before and it was a very simple process. I am assuming it is the same on my rig, however I thought I would ask you guys if you had any expert advice or manuals.
paulyzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 09:04 AM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

Should be the same, all systems charge on the suction side if engine is running.
ltfishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 12:30 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

I have to do this about once a year ... just follow the directions on the refrigerant can ...

I always wear goggles ... I have been told that this stuff can cause severe vision problems if it gets in your eyes ...
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 01:48 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I add every year with 134A with a Wally World kit to the Low pressure side.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 10:09 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

If at all possible, fill your charging hose before hooking onto the low side port. Just open the valve on the can (a little bit is enough)till you get some 134A flowing out. Close valve, attach charging hose, turn on the engine, and slowly allow the 134A to enter the system. I recommend shutting the flow off after a minute, and feel the outlet air temperature. If it's cold (45-50 degF, give or take) you're done. If not add more. It's never a good idea to dump a whole can in one shot. You might overpressurize the system and blow an expensive hose.
Old 07-08-2013, 12:57 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbounder View Post
If at all possible, fill your charging hose before hooking onto the low side port. Just open the valve on the can (a little bit is enough)till you get some 134A flowing out. Close valve, attach charging hose, turn on the engine, and slowly allow the 134A to enter the system. I recommend shutting the flow off after a minute, and feel the outlet air temperature. If it's cold (45-50 degF, give or take) you're done. If not add more. It's never a good idea to dump a whole can in one shot. You might overpressurize the system and blow an expensive hose.
Get a recharge kit that comes with a gauge that tells you when enough is in. Problem solved.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 01:11 PM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

Under the front cap hood, along the passengers side of the radiator core, you should see a fitting that looks like an "high pressure" service station air line, or it may be covered with something that looks like a tire valve cap.... (I just did this about 2 weeks ago on my Ford Gas Chassis) Unscrew the cap and place your connector over the fitting. I should snap into place and stay on. Don't worry about mixing up high vs low pressure side.... if it doesnt fit, it wont connect. Try the other connection

Start your chassis engine, AC on MAX recirculate, and thermostat on full cold. The gauge on the 134a bottle should start to register pressure within the system. Open the valve on the refrigerant and watch the gauge. The cycling of the compressor should be an indication that its pulling the refrigerant into the system.

There is a zone of proper pressure in the system and you should stay within that zone even when the compressor isn't active in its cycle..... (comp turning = 35p.s.i. - comp not turning = 25 p.s.i but should pop right back up to 35 p.s.i when comp starts its cycle again)

Once the system is blowing cold, close the bottle valve, and release the quick connect on the low side of the AC line. You should be able to see condensation on the metal compression fitting components of the AC lines. That's all there is to it.

Good Luck!
jnp_macklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:06 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I fill mine once every summer. Just follow the advice already posted and you will be fine.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:12 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Thank you everyone for the advice. I was very low on freon, less than 10 psi and I was able to fill it to 35 psi, however the dash AC was still not very cold. When idling the air coming out wasn't cold at all. When driving the air was was cool but not cold and if I went up a hill while on max AC, the air would almost turn off. I'm back home now so I will make an appointment to get it fixed.
paulyzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 11:18 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Ours takes something like 4.5 lbs, not very economical to use the small cans at Wal*Mart. To get the good stuff is about $33 for 18 oz. If my system is empty it'll take $132 not including tax.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 02:21 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Hi paulyzx!

I'm wondering if your A/C is actually working fine but the heater controls are letting warm air from the heater core mix with the cold air. I mention this since you say that when you go uphill the air would almost shut off. Sounds like you may have a vacuum leak to your heater controls. Check all the small vacuum lines going to the heater controls for cracks or loose fittings. Hopefully it is a simple problem like that.

You can also temporarily pinch off the coolant hose to the heater core so there is no hot coolant getting to the heater box.

Best of luck!
Nick-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 02:36 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

I just had to replace the expansion valve on our Journey. When that goes bad no matter how much freon you put in it won't cool very much.
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dash