Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-24-2016, 04:55 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Access Hole Cut Ready to Clean Radiator

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1175.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	404.2 KB
ID:	139877
My plan is to spray Simple Green the best I can on the engine side of both the CAC and Radiator. I hope to saturate the first rows and hope it trickles down... Then I will wait 30 minutes and spray from the outside and also saturate the best I can from the inside?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1176.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	259.7 KB
ID:	139878

How long should I wait until I start the engine?

Thanks LeeB
Old 09-24-2016, 04:59 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Interesting, subscribed.
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 05:32 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Owned a 2002 Journey for 8 years and cleaned radiator annually. A couple of suggestions:

1. Don't use regular Simple Green. It is hard on aluminum. Extreme Simple Green is aluminum-friendly. I mixed Extreme Simple Green with some Dawn in my sprayer.

2. I would soak the CAC from the inside as best I could. I would let it sit for about 10 minutes then start the engine and spray the CAC again... letting the fan blow the mix into the cooling pack.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 05:36 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
Owned a 2002 Journey for 8 years and cleaned radiator annually. A couple of suggestions:

1. Don't use regular Simple Green. It is hard on aluminum. Extreme Simple Green is aluminum-friendly. I mixed Extreme Simple Green with some Dawn in my sprayer.

2. I would soak the CAC from the inside as best I could. I would let it sit for about 10 minutes then start the engine and spray the CAC again... letting the fan blow the mix into the cooling pack.
? If I spray while the engine is running won't it blow like a mad dog OUT the access hole I cut???
Old 09-24-2016, 05:42 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I think I'd try Air Conditioner Coil Cleaner.
Old 09-24-2016, 06:40 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeB View Post
? If I spray while the engine is running won't it blow like a mad dog OUT the access hole I cut???

I don't remember if I had any spray out of the cut out hole - but why not cover it back up? After spraying both sides of the radiator and CAC I let it set for 15 or 20 minutes then rinse with a high pressure hose from the rear thinking I'll be pushing the dirt back out the way it came in. After that I start the engine and it blows a lot of water and dirt out the back. I also crawl under the engine when it is running and spray a garden hose into the lower portion of the fan from the passenger side and push a lot of water through the radiator and CAC - also appears to be a real good bubble making machine when blowing out the dawn soap/ simple green mixture. Using the garden hose underneath does spray water all around that part of the engine compartment so you may need to cover electrical wires, etc. I didn't cover them and have not had a problem. Works for me.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 06:58 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ciderdog View Post
I don't remember if I had any spray out of the cut out hole - but why not cover it back up? After spraying both sides of the radiator and CAC I let it set for 15 or 20 minutes then rinse with a high pressure hose from the rear thinking I'll be pushing the dirt back out the way it came in. After that I start the engine and it blows a lot of water and dirt out the back. I also crawl under the engine when it is running and spray a garden hose into the lower portion of the fan from the passenger side and push a lot of water through the radiator and CAC - also appears to be a real good bubble making machine when blowing out the dawn soap/ simple green mixture. Using the garden hose underneath does spray water all around that part of the engine compartment so you may need to cover electrical wires, etc. I didn't cover them and have not had a problem. Works for me.
I fully intend to cover the hole cut back up right after I spray with the simple green/dawn solution with duct tape. I am going to use a garden hose to spray water from the back (after about 15min) then I'll open the hole back up and spray into the hole with the garden hose and the sprayer filled with water so I can get in between the best I can. Then recover the hole and start the engine... This all will be done either Monday or Tuesday......

Thanks for the pointers........ LeeB
Old 09-25-2016, 07:07 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeB View Post
I fully intend to cover the hole cut back up right after I spray with the simple green/dawn solution with duct tape. I am going to use a garden hose to spray water from the back (after about 15min) then I'll open the hole back up and spray into the hole with the garden hose and the sprayer filled with water so I can get in between the best I can. Then recover the hole and start the engine... This all will be done either Monday or Tuesday......

Thanks for the pointers........ LeeB
As oily and dirty as your photo's show, I will be surprised if you don't have to pull them to clean them..........you would be surprised what they look like between them that you can't see. I washed and washed my side radiator set up, the decided to pull them out, after washing, I was shocked what they still looked like between them and the crud that was stuck in there.........and now the stuff that is on the outside of yours, is going to get washed inwards ...........
Hope it works well for you........
If you do a search on here, there is a member,fireup, that has a rear radiator,and after washing, he pulled his and posted photo's of what the inside of the radiator and CAC still looked like........
Found it: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f26/rear-...ng-163541.html

Tags
radiator