Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2011, 08:08 PM   #1
wmw
Winnebago Camper

Ac works Heat pump not

I have a problem with my heat pump and hope someone here can give me some advice. When I select Electric heat, the heat pump starts to come on for a second or two. Then i hear a clicking in the thermostat and the heat pump shuts down and the LP furnace starts. The AC mode works fine. The heat pump will not operate no matter if temp is 3 deg. from room temp or higher. Is the Termostate my problem?

2007 38J Adventurer. Thanks in advance for advice. Woody
wmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 08:17 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Are the vents from the heat source blowing on to the thermostat?
What type of AC unit do you have?
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 12:52 PM   #3
wmw
Winnebago Camper

AC works Heat Pump not

The heat pump does not stay on long enough to blow air. The AC unit is a Coleman Mach Model 6535B871 (Basement Unit). The Thermostat is a Model 6535-335.
Woody
Old 08-31-2011, 03:32 PM   #4
KIX
Winnebago Master

Go to this site and find your model number. There should be a trouble shoot tree inside the service manual for your model. I think info you're looking for starts on page #21 of the manual for your unit (6535 series)

Airxcel | RV Products Tech Info
Old 09-01-2011, 07:18 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

I would jumper the outdoor coil thermister and see if the unit will run.
Old 09-01-2011, 07:47 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

The heat pump will only operate within a few degrees of the set point for heat. If the thermostat is set at 70 and the room temp is 68, no problem. If the room temp is 65 it will operate the gas heat. That is what I could decipher from the manual.

Try setting the thermostat to 2 degrees from the room temperature then see if it will continue to run.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 08:57 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmw View Post
I have a problem with my heat pump and hope someone here can give me some advice. When I select Electric heat, the heat pump starts to come on for a second or two. Then i hear a clicking in the thermostat and the heat pump shuts down and the LP furnace starts. The AC mode works fine. The heat pump will not operate no matter if temp is 3 deg. from room temp or higher. Is the Termostate my problem?

2007 38J Adventurer. Thanks in advance for advice. Woody

got my rig at the dealers as we speak for the same problem,talked to the makers rep at the GNR and he said most likely thermostat as long as the differential is within 2-3 degrees. Fortunately mine is still under warranty.
Old 09-01-2011, 08:59 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakewoodpaul View Post
got my rig at the dealers as we speak for the same problem,talked to the makers rep at the GNR and he said most likely thermostat as long as the differential is within 2-3 degrees. Fortunately mine is still under warranty.

forgot to add, soon as I know what the dealer did to fix it I will post it.
Old 09-01-2011, 09:45 AM   #9
wmw
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for all the replies. I think it may be my Thermostat, I took the cover off and placed the switch to Heat pump position and it came on and stayed on. The temp was set to a 2 deg difference. Where is the best place to order a Thermostat from? Like I said Thanks again for the inputs. I downloaded the manual, so now I have a better understanding on how it works. I'm up here in the mountains at 7500 feet, so the mornings are a bit chilly and my electricity is free so I want the heat pump to work.
Woody 2007 38J Adventurer.
Old 09-01-2011, 09:59 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmw View Post
Thanks for all the replies. I think it may be my Thermostat, I took the cover off and placed the switch to Heat pump position and it came on and stayed on. The temp was set to a 2 deg difference. Where is the best place to order a Thermostat from? Like I said Thanks again for the inputs. I downloaded the manual, so now I have a better understanding on how it works. I'm up here in the mountains at 7500 feet, so the mornings are a bit chilly and my electricity is free so I want the heat pump to work.
Woody 2007 38J Adventurer.
Here is the one we bought to replace ours. https://www.makariosrv.com/products/...-True-Air.html

Not sure if it is the one for your unit but Makarios was very helpful when I emailed and talked to them on the phone. The price was the best I could find too but there are not too many places to get the original Coleman stats. The model number will be on a sticker on the back.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 10:24 PM   #11
wmw
Winnebago Camper

Here is the one we bought to replace ours. https://www.makariosrv.com/products/...-True-Air.html

Thanks for the link, it seems to be the one I need. I will post the final outcome after I replace the Thermostat.
Woody