Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2008, 08:10 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Well,

The temp in Deadwood was 43dg last night. DW popped the heat pump on to take off the chill. About 5 minutes after it stopped I smelled the dreaded burnt electrical wiring smell. After shutting everything off and carefully bringing each system back on line I found: The furnace works fine. The AC works fine on one compressor. The second compressor cycles on and off every 8-10 seconds. I've secured the second compressor at the breaker and will not run AC/heat pump again until I can get it looked at and/or repaired. Anybody got a reccomendation in or near Rapid City? Thanks
Ol'Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 08:10 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Well,

The temp in Deadwood was 43dg last night. DW popped the heat pump on to take off the chill. About 5 minutes after it stopped I smelled the dreaded burnt electrical wiring smell. After shutting everything off and carefully bringing each system back on line I found: The furnace works fine. The AC works fine on one compressor. The second compressor cycles on and off every 8-10 seconds. I've secured the second compressor at the breaker and will not run AC/heat pump again until I can get it looked at and/or repaired. Anybody got a reccomendation in or near Rapid City? Thanks
Old 07-13-2008, 03:54 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Recommend you only use an RVP service center:

Company Name: Dakota RV Service
Address 1: 901 W. Hwy. 14 & 34
Address 2: P.O. Box 908
City, State: FT. PIERRE, SD
Zip Code: 57532
Additional Notes:
Telephone: (605) 223-2534
Services: a/c

Company Name: Jack's Campers
Address 1: West Exit I-90
Address 2: Box 944
City, State: MITCHELL, SD
Zip Code: 57301
Additional Notes:
Telephone: (605) 996-3268
Services: a/c

Company Name: Spader Camper Center
Address 1: 1601 E. Robur Dr.
Address 2: P.O. Box 963
City, State: SIOUX FALLS, SD
Zip Code: 57104
Additional Notes:
Telephone: (605) 339-3230
Services: ac/nr-uf

Here is the link from RVP's website for service search.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 04:01 AM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

You might try Jacks Campers just west of Rapid City or Northern Hills Homes and RVs ( a Winnebago dealer) in Whitewood, SD which is between Sturgis and Spearfish.
John 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 02:16 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">ac/nr-uf </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I asked RVP recently for a translation of these letters in reference to the service locations listed online. Following is the translation.

"a/c means they work on roof top units, a/c-uf means they work on roof top and basement models and ac/nr-uf means they work on both but cannot do any refrigerant work."

Sounds like it might be similar to the problem I had a few years ago. I turned on the breaker for #2 and ran it on #1 until we could get to a repair location. We had burned wiring and burned start capacitor on #2 circuit. That can be fixed without pulling the unit from your rig -- just open the access door and the metal panel that covers the electronics. Our tech believed our problem was due to low voltage in a RV park somewhere. Do you use a Surge Guard when connected to shore power???
Old 07-13-2008, 05:44 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Looks like they need to use the Sioux Falls service dealer.

Very nice to meet you this afternoon Paul

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 06:20 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Very nice to meet you this afternoon Paul </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Glad I figured out where you were!! ...but from your avatar, I was expecting a guy in a tux...
Old 07-14-2008, 04:52 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Morning all,

Played tourist all day long yesterday and didn't open up the computer untill coffee this morning. I'm waiting for the 8am opening time and then start the calls to try to get this ac looked at. Dakota rv appears to have opened another shop here in Rapid City and theres an Winnebago dealership in Whitewood 20 miles north of the city too. Unless it looks like a major project I'm going to try to get it done around here and Hopefully one of them can take me in quickly and it's only the same problem AFchap had. I've got a surgeguard installed but I guess that's no garranty. Thanks all we'll let you know.
Old 07-14-2008, 11:32 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

"<span class="ev_code_RED">Sounds like it might be similar to the problem I had a few years ago. I turned on the breaker for #2 and ran it on #1 until we could get to a repair location. We had burned wiring and burned start capacitor on #2 circuit. That can be fixed without pulling the unit from your rig -- just open the access door and the metal panel that covers the electronics. Our tech believed our problem was due to low voltage in a RV park somewhere. Do you use a Surge Guard when connected to shore power???</span>"

I'm having the same (almost) problem now. Scheduled to see a service dealer in Billings in 2 weeks. My slight difference is that #2 will run for a while and then pop the 20A breaker. Panel shows current draws a bit higher than I think they should be.

I will post my outcome here when appropriate.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 02:01 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Hi All,

Well no luck in Rapid City today. called several local service centers and to a man all reported no one trained on the basement air systems. You got to appreciate thier up front acknowledgement of thier limitations. The Whitewood folks said thier trained ac tech was the most popular guy in the shop and could'nt touch it until Friday at the earlyest not to mention the delay in getting parts shipped in if nessacary. Oh well, we'll live with the one compressor and keep checking with authorized service centers as we go. Thanks John Canfield for the RVP website and AFChap for the interpetions. They will both make it easier to pre-plan a service / repair stop. We'll let you know how it goes.
Old 07-14-2008, 02:53 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

You might consider a 'side trip' to Billings and Billings RV. Just don't try to get my slot on next Tuesday.

Old 07-18-2008, 05:09 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Hi All,

The good news, Everything is "Cool" again. On my way from the center of the USA, Stopped in Ottawa, KS and caught a little local rodeo. That was my first and fun. At the RV park I stopped at I mentioned my dilemma and the lady quickly asked me if I was going to "Z's" to get it fixed. So I asked for directions and toad'd over to Zzz's RV Ottawa, KS and Vester Gillette the owner / operator listened as I described the problem. He cautioned me that while it might be serious it probably wasn't. He said bring it by first thing in the morning and we'll go from there. Well at 7:30 am I rolled in to the lot and was directed right into one of his 10 (yes 10) full sized service bays. Within 10 minutes he showed me a burnt no.2 start capacitor, a RVP OEM replacement in hand and 20 minutes later I was "Chilling" again. $143.00 parts, labor.This is a two man shop that looks bigger, better stocked, cleaner and more personable than most of the service facilites I've ever used. 'nuff said. Hamguy you win kupie doll and I won't threaten your appointment. Hope your luck was as good as mine. 73 to ya. Thanks to all. The bad news....There is none. Later
Old 07-18-2008, 06:24 PM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Very good. Doncha love it when a plan comes together? I hope to be so lucky.

dean