Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-22-2017, 06:11 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

AC & Heating thermostat

I started having intermittent problems with the thermostat for the AC, when I push the thermostat to electric heat it doesn't want to start unless I bump it pretty hard or slide it a couple of times. Same thing happens when I slide the switch to cooling.

Is it possible for the contacts to be dirty, and if so is it possible to clean them with contact cleaner.

Thanks,

Ron
Ron & Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 09:51 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Using contact cleaner probably couldn't hurt. Use the make and model of your present thermostat to Google manuals and troubleshooting guides. If you decide to go with a new thermostat, make sure it will be compatible with your A/C and furnace models.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 10:28 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I'm on my 5th thermostat since 2004 and I'm changing to a residential when we get back to Indiana. There are several people that have done that and all rave about how much better they are. A search will find diagrams and usually one toggle switch has to be added for the fan.

Good luck,
Dave
Old 02-23-2017, 04:25 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Thanks

Ours has been pretty much trouble free since we purchased in 04. The only problem was finding the exact spot for the off position, but other than that, the thermostat has worked good until now

Ron
Old 02-23-2017, 06:50 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

The switch

Be very careful moving the switch with the cover off as the switch can be moved far enough to come apart. Ask me how I know! It's a real trick to reassemble.
Old 02-23-2017, 08:11 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron & Dee View Post
Thanks

Ours has been pretty much trouble free since we purchased in 04. The only problem was finding the exact spot for the off position, but other than that, the thermostat has worked good until now

Ron
Use two hands and sloooowy move switch where you want it. Jiggle it. Better yet, trash it and install a residential t-stat. Search threads for that. When I finish my change, I will try to post it around here somewhere.

2006 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 2004 Honda CR-V
NoMoreAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 08:18 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

It would help to know exactly which brand and model of RV thermostat you have, can you post a picture
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 05:34 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Think mines working fine

I have always had a delay. Thought this was/is normal. Figure it's cycling through some kind of timing mechanism. Always works - just have to wait momentarily.
Old 02-24-2017, 06:08 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Yes, I have noticed a delay when going from cooling to heating, or heating to cooling.

Here is what my thermostat looks like

https://www.makariosrv.com/coleman-d...air-6535-3442/

Ron
Old 03-02-2017, 05:58 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Poor switch

Yes that's the one I have also.
There is a delay. But also this is a very poor switch. One day I will replace mine but for now I'll keep it....... I have pulled mine apart when it quit working. Been awhile. As I recall there are 2 small slide contractors. They need to make the correct connection at the correct time. If out of align one end will not make contact.

When I use mine I put a finger on each side of the slide switch to support it while I push it and move it to where it needs to be. Problem is indicator doesn't line up with function exactly, some play left and right as well as up and down. Then when I got it where I think it should be I end up waiting for function to kick in after the delay. Wait and wait then decide it must be slightly off position so I wiggle while feeling for the position. and then it works. Frustrating.
Old 03-05-2017, 07:27 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezdavie View Post
I have always had a delay. Thought this was/is normal. Figure it's cycling through some kind of timing mechanism. Always works - just have to wait momentarily.
The delay is that the thermostat is still in "set" mode. Example: you use the temp setting buttons and set the temp to 72. The room is 74. As long as the new set temp is displaying the unit will not come on. After a few seconds the last set temp will switch back to the ambient room temp of 74 then the thermostat will turn on the AC.

This is to prevent the unit from being switched on and off instantly while you adjust the desired temp.

Tags
heat, heating, thermostat