Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-07-2006, 09:20 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

First, is it me or is the basement furnace system LOUD!. I know in our previous coach, the heater vents were like turbine driven hydroplanes, but I expected the basement air/furnace system to be much quieter. It sounds like a constant motor running underneath our bedroom. Is this common?

Second, I am about to embark on our LCD exterior TV adventure and it dawned on me that there is NO video selector option for the cable jack outside. Is it simply split off from the main input or split from the main front TV AFTER your SAT Box ? Not sure if I would need another Sat. receiver or not.

Thanks

2006 Itasca Horizon 40FD
BigTrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 09:20 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

First, is it me or is the basement furnace system LOUD!. I know in our previous coach, the heater vents were like turbine driven hydroplanes, but I expected the basement air/furnace system to be much quieter. It sounds like a constant motor running underneath our bedroom. Is this common?

Second, I am about to embark on our LCD exterior TV adventure and it dawned on me that there is NO video selector option for the cable jack outside. Is it simply split off from the main input or split from the main front TV AFTER your SAT Box ? Not sure if I would need another Sat. receiver or not.

Thanks

2006 Itasca Horizon 40FD
Old 03-07-2006, 10:06 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

First, are you talking about the LP furnace (I have two in the basement), and/or the heat pump/air conditioner unit? You no doubt have both, but I think you are talking about the heat pump unit so I'll answer from that perspective. Yes, you will hear a "motor" running underneath your bedroom when the unit is in opertation. That is where the unit/compressors are located (normally under the passenger side rear). It's just a low rumble in the background for us, and does not disturb us at all, even at night.

Second, our coach and the others I have looked at have a switch box in the upper right front cabinet where we can select Ant, Cable, Sat, Aux for each the two inside TVs and the VCR. (the TV in the outside compartment follows whatever the bedroom TV is set for.) Are you sure you don't have something similar??
Old 03-07-2006, 10:24 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Hi AFChap,

First off, yes I was refering to the LP furnaces not necessarily the heat pump, however, I may be confused. My main thermostat for the main living area is not in the same location as all of the "one place" items. It is black and exists next to the "one place" on the side of a kitchen upper cabinet (maybe like yours and everyone elses). Perhaps they should call it "two places". Anyhow, that thermostat is very clear about the heat pump (Elec) versus gas settings. I switched it to "Gas" and seems everything is OK, until the back bedroom kicks in. The rear bedroom thermostat is the little "white" thermostat located within the "one place" area. It only has a lever across the top. To activate it, you slide the lever forward until you reach the desired temperature. Simple, but no where does it say if it is in "Heat Pump or Gas" mode. Does it follow what the main thermostat is set for? If so, it still seems rather loud. I DO believe it does follow as I DO get warm air through the floor registers around the bed and not the upper air ducts.

On point 2, yes I do have the Video Selector just like you, but was curious on how the outdoor TV will react and how it was coupled to the system. If yours is coupled such that the exterior TV matches what the rear TV is doing, then there won't be a problem if someone is watching the main TV inside and others are watching TV outside. It should also work if there is an additional satellite receiver plugged into the rear TV (with the proper feeds of course!).

Thanks for the input!!!

2006 Itasca Horizon 40FD
Old 03-07-2006, 10:37 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Big Trace

You have the same thermostat setup we do. The little white rear 'stat in the bedroom is for the rear/secondary LP furnace ONLY. It operates totally independently from the front 'stat that you can switch between gas heat/elec heat/ac/off. My bedroom 'stat has an off/on switch on the bottom, and the temp setting lever on the top. I imagine the noise you hear when it is on is the return air rushing into the furnace. We hear it too, and also hear the same kind of "rush of a mighty wind" under our passenger side sofa when the front LP furnace is on, as that is where the return air duct is located. (recommend you check to insure the return air vent under the couch is uncovered ...ours still had the protective vinyl sheeting over it after delivery).
Old 03-07-2006, 10:38 AM   #6
Administrator Emeritus

Interesting....my main thermostat is located in the same line of stuff in the one place,in the hallway next to the door to the throne room.

The thermostat for the bedroom is just inside the bedroom on the left wall with all the bazillion light switches....Most likely some of this "placement" is floor-plan driven.
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 10:46 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Trace,

The outside TV is controlled by what the bedroom TV is switched to in my Ellipse so it should be the same as yours. I am assuming you have the factory installed Exterior TV in the forward curb side storage bay like mine is.

The thermostat you are talking about is kind of a mystery. I have only been able to make the gas heat come on with it. Like you, I thought it should be driven by what the primary controlis set on but it does not seem to work that way - at least for me and a friend that has a Vectra.

Yes, the electric heat is a little loud in the bedroom but it is like most other noises. You get used to in within a few days. My DW is very sensitive to noises at night and is a light sleeper. It took her about a week to get used to the noise so that it did not wake her up at night when it came on. As far as myself - I sleep the sleep of the innocent so nothing wakes me up. It took me about 1 night ot get used to it.

2006 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
AdrianLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 10:51 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Hey Bob,

I thought this was strange too. Why not locate it in the room you need it to sense? My bazillion light switches are located just outside the bedroom and to the left (as your walking in). The bedroom area thermostat is located in the "oneplace" (next to the shower) and the main thermostat is just outside of the "one place" in the kitchen area (more or less).

2006 Itasca Horizon 40FD
Old 03-07-2006, 10:52 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

The independent operation of the two thermostats is a blessing... Those combined thermostats we have up front (TrueAir Coleman Mach or whatever) do die. I've had to replace mine once, and know someone who also has a 2003 coach who has replaced his twice. When it dies, it does nothing, so you cannot use the front furnace or the heat pump units for heat or air. I am happy to know that if it dies during cold weather, I have the rear stat I can use to operate "the backup furnace" so we won't freeze up!!
Old 03-07-2006, 10:58 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AdrianLee:
Trace,

The outside TV is controlled by what the bedroom TV is switched to in my Ellipse so it should be the same as yours. I am assuming you have the factory installed Exterior TV in the forward curb side storage bay like mine is.

The thermostat you are talking about is kind of a mystery. I have only been able to make the gas heat come on with it. Like you, I thought it should be driven by what the primary controlis set on but it does not seem to work that way - at least for me and a friend that has a Vectra.

Yes, the electric heat is a little loud in the bedroom but it is like most other noises. You get used to in within a few days. My DW is very sensitive to noises at night and is a light sleeper. It took her about a week to get used to the noise so that it did not wake her up at night when it came on. As far as myself - I sleep the sleep of the innocent so nothing wakes me up. It took me about 1 night ot get used to it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey Adrian,

I do not have the factory installed TV, just the cable connector, a 12 volt connector and two outlets mounted to a box that also contains an exterior stereo and speakers (must be the door prize if you don't get the exterior TV).

The electric heat is what is in question. When I felt the heat come on, I felt it through the floor vents, not the roof vents, meaning that I believe the heat was driven from the LP side, not the electric side. The sound I'm hearing, though, sounds like a heat pump and not LP heat which by all means should be quieter. I'll test it again when I get home today. It isn't to a point that I can't "live" with it as I have gotten some good sleep in the rig, just hear it occasionally between the sheep counts.

Thanks

2006 Itasca Horizon 40FD
Old 03-07-2006, 10:58 AM   #11
Administrator Emeritus

At least in my case Paul,I'm not disagreeing with ya,as my switches are at least in the room they operate...One downside is the closeness of the hallway thermostat and the bedroom thermostat,would rather have a little more separation between the two. The front of the coach was cool last night,while I feel the heat from the bedroom was affecting the t-stat in the hall.
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 11:02 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AFChap:
The independent operation of the two thermostats is a blessing... Those combined thermostats we have up front (TrueAir Coleman Mach or whatever) do die. I've had to replace mine once, and know someone who also has a 2003 coach who has replaced his twice. When it dies, it does nothing, so you cannot use the front furnace or the heat pump units for heat or air. I am happy to know that if it dies during cold weather, I have the rear stat I can use to operate "the backup furnace" so we won't freeze up!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

We really lucked out when we ordered the fireplace. Having thought it was of no use, I was pleasantly surprised how warm it kept things in the rig with just it running. It needs about 11 amps to run, and has a blower unit which spreads the heat out nicely. Highly recommend it for anyone getting an FD..

2006 Itasca Horizon 40FD
Old 03-07-2006, 11:47 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Trace,

If you feel heat from the floor vents it is definitely from the gas (LP) system. If from the cieling vents, it is from the electric (heat pump) system.

It is possible that you heard both on at the same time. It is a little confusing to me but at some point (I believe a 3 - 5 degree difference between thermostat setting and interior temp) both systems will come on. Then at some point depending on the external temp, the electric system will not come on at all - only the gas system will come on.

Play with it a bit and you will get the hang of it and begin to know what to expect under different conditions. The last few mornings up here in Temecula have been in the low 30's (34 - 35). Only the gas heat would come on. I do not normally set the control for the bedroom - it gets too warm back there when we are sleeping.

2006 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
AdrianLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 11:58 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Thanks Adrian,

I agree with you and haven't checked whether "both" systems are functioning at the same time. Can you make the heat pump just stay off if you don't want it on? Is there a way to manually turn it off?

On another note, where abouts in Temecula are you? There a great place up there (Outdoor Resorts in Aguanga) I've been to. Can be pricey, but worth the money especially this time of year.

2006 Itasca Horizon 40FD
Old 03-07-2006, 12:45 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

The primary propane furnace sounds like a 747 on its takeoff roll.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 12:57 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

Bob

It does sound like your 'stats are rather close together. Our main 'stat is on a galley cabinet across from the fridge, which is just on the other side of the sliding door from the OnePlace center. The bedroom 'stat is fully in the bedroom under the TV. I wouldn't like our main 'stat behind the sliding door with the OnePlace center.
Old 03-07-2006, 12:59 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

I'm with you John, it does seem a bit noisy, especially compared to one in my stick house.

2006 Itasca Horizon 40FD
Old 03-07-2006, 01:00 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AFChap:
Bob

It does sound like your 'stats are rather close together. Our main 'stat is on a galley cabinet across from the fridge, which is just on the other side of the sliding door from the OnePlace center. The bedroom 'stat is fully in the bedroom under the TV. I wouldn't like our main 'stat behind the sliding door with the OnePlace center. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

AF,

Mine is the same as yours, except that my rear stat is on the one place which is right next to the galley cabinet!! Not a great place if you ask me..

2006 Itasca Horizon 40FD
Old 03-07-2006, 01:00 PM   #19
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">We really lucked out when we ordered the fireplace. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Trace

I thought those were just ornamental too. You're saying it is actually an electric heater??
Old 03-07-2006, 01:07 PM   #20
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">We really lucked out when we ordered the fireplace. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Trace

I thought those were just ornamental too. You're saying it is actually an electric heater?? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You betcha. Puts out a great deal of warmth too at only 11 amps of the RV parks power

2006 Itasca Horizon 40FD