Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2005, 05:27 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

The 2 electric condensor fan on our '03 Journey DL did not come on when the dash air was turned on. Dash air don't work so good then and we ended up running the cabin air to keep cool. We got this machine used in March of this year and the dealer has been anything but helpful when we turned down the extended warranty at the time of purchase. Looks like we are are our own on this but be assured we will never do business with these folks again.
Being electically and mechanically inclined I jumped right in there, down loaded the wiring diagrams and went at it. Circuit breakers, OK, Fan relay, OK, pressure switches, OK, fans, OK, now what. Got power to the relay but it is not getting power to the coil, find that is supplied by the blue and red wire in the dash. Off with the dash and what do we find here, lying there with nothing connected to it. Connect the blue and red wire to the yellow RH as per the wiring diagram and what the &#$*&@@ still no fans. Got power to the coil of the relay now, let's see where does it get it's ground, through another pressure switch. Ohm the switch and it is closed and then ohm to ground. 278K Ohms. OK, now where is that grounding bus. Too late and dark, I'll find it tomorrow and see where and why.
Bright side of this is that I should be able to do about anything on this machine when I get this figured out. By the way, Winnebago's wiring diagrams are way easier and better to follow and figure out than Onan's.
gunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 05:27 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

The 2 electric condensor fan on our '03 Journey DL did not come on when the dash air was turned on. Dash air don't work so good then and we ended up running the cabin air to keep cool. We got this machine used in March of this year and the dealer has been anything but helpful when we turned down the extended warranty at the time of purchase. Looks like we are are our own on this but be assured we will never do business with these folks again.
Being electically and mechanically inclined I jumped right in there, down loaded the wiring diagrams and went at it. Circuit breakers, OK, Fan relay, OK, pressure switches, OK, fans, OK, now what. Got power to the relay but it is not getting power to the coil, find that is supplied by the blue and red wire in the dash. Off with the dash and what do we find here, lying there with nothing connected to it. Connect the blue and red wire to the yellow RH as per the wiring diagram and what the &#$*&@@ still no fans. Got power to the coil of the relay now, let's see where does it get it's ground, through another pressure switch. Ohm the switch and it is closed and then ohm to ground. 278K Ohms. OK, now where is that grounding bus. Too late and dark, I'll find it tomorrow and see where and why.
Bright side of this is that I should be able to do about anything on this machine when I get this figured out. By the way, Winnebago's wiring diagrams are way easier and better to follow and figure out than Onan's.
gunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2005, 06:07 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Gunny,

Interested in what you finally find as the cause. On my 03 Horizon 39QD the fans have never come on and that includes this weekend coming back from seal Beach NWS across the desert at 117 degrees. Would be nice to help the dash air a bit with some fan action. Please keep us updated on your progress.

03 Horizon 39QD
Rick Buddrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 02:41 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

I am challenged when it comes to things on my coach. What and where is the 2 electrical condenser fans?
First time I have heard of these and would like to check mine. Thanks
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 02:49 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

gunny, good job! This is exactly the kind of thing we like to see on the forums (problems and no-nonsense solutions).
We look forward to your next recap.
Old 07-20-2005, 04:14 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

ichn,

Talking about the two electric fans that are mounted driver side , aft. All the way back. They are the fans that pull air over the condenser fins for the dash air unit.

Hope this helps.

03 Horizon 39QD
Old 07-20-2005, 04:47 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

Rick, thanks for the reply. Don't want to hijack the thread. But when I start the coach, turn on the dash air full open, these fans should start? Or is there a delay or what? When should they come on? Thanks for your help
Old 07-20-2005, 05:35 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

ichn,

Actually, I am not sure but I would suspect that they are thermostatically controlled and when they reach a designated temp setting they should kick on. Or,perhaps they should be on anytime the AC (dash) is on but since I have never seem mine work I am at a loss. I am questioning mine not coming on after a day in Yuma at 117 degrees and they never did come on. Perhaps Gunny could jump in here and give us both a bit of working knowledge.

03 Horizon 39QD
Old 07-20-2005, 05:47 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

GUNNY!!!!!HELP PLEASE.
The reason for the questions is I don't believe i've seen mine work either.
This would be a Freightliner problem tho, Right?
Learn something new everyday thanks to the forum .
Only had the coach 18 months and still learning.
Old 07-20-2005, 10:14 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

On my older p-30, I think the fans were controlled by a HIGH HEAD PRESSURE SW.
TENN.VOL.
Old 07-20-2005, 10:20 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Hi Ho: Perhaps some confusion exists because it is the evaporator fans that actually blow cold air. The condensor can also be fan cooled but this is just to cool the compressor for better operation.
dirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 10:34 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Dick,

I don't think any of us are confused. We are all talking about the cooling fans located at the driver side rear on DP's. They are for the dash air system.

03 Horizon 39QD
Old 07-20-2005, 06:01 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

On my side radiator setup,,,I have the radiator,,,aftercooler and evaporator for the dash air,,,,attached outside is twin fans for cooling the evaporator...these do not operate until the unit is not being properly cooled by the engine fan on the inside,,,then they come on and pull air thru in greater volumn...

Malibu Toad
Okie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 07:23 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

My 2002 Journey condensor fans come on with the dash switch. Took about 14 man hours to make them work simply by plugging in a blade connector under the dash. It was on the wire that goes from the switch to the relay in the fuse panel. Factory replaced the left side wall of my coach and I figured they unplugged it. I did notice it runs on for a very short time after the air is turned off so must be a thermostat somwhere. Wiring diagrams Winnebago sent did not resemble my actual conditions.
imgoin4it2 is offline   Reply With Quote