Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2008, 01:12 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

I have reviewed the user guide/manual for the A&E awning and I seem to have an issue. My power indicator light is flashing rapidly and it states in the guide the following:

"Flashing Yellow at the rate of 3 times per second, indicates a fault has been detected in the wind sensor or the wind sensor cable."

Ok, but the manual doesn't mention how to trouble-shoot the problem. I have tried resetting the awning by removing the power, waiting 5 minutes and plugging it back in. Still the same problem. Anyone out there had something similar? I have read a lot of posts on awnings but couldn't find this exact problem.

And I also removed the wind sensor connection as well but that didn't help.

Thanks,
Kyle

W24 8.1 Vortec
Kyle241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 01:12 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I have reviewed the user guide/manual for the A&E awning and I seem to have an issue. My power indicator light is flashing rapidly and it states in the guide the following:

"Flashing Yellow at the rate of 3 times per second, indicates a fault has been detected in the wind sensor or the wind sensor cable."

Ok, but the manual doesn't mention how to trouble-shoot the problem. I have tried resetting the awning by removing the power, waiting 5 minutes and plugging it back in. Still the same problem. Anyone out there had something similar? I have read a lot of posts on awnings but couldn't find this exact problem.

And I also removed the wind sensor connection as well but that didn't help.

Thanks,
Kyle

W24 8.1 Vortec
Old 04-19-2008, 05:07 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Kyle,

A call to A&E (Dometic) Customer Support should get you some assistance, I would think.

Let us know what you find out.
Ding-a-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 06:54 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Hi Kyle,
Since the awning last functioned correctly, has it rained? I don't mean a sprinke, but a real downpour rain. Have you driven, the coach, while it was raining since the awning last functioned correctly?
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 11:59 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Reply </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tks. for the link Frank. Unfortunately when one calls, they have a recording to list their dealers.

Gary - Yes it's rained, I don't recall driving last when it was raining but then again I might have forgotten. Last time we had it out was in Dec. 07 and it's been in since then. A lot of rain has come down, very heavy downpours as a matter of fact. Are you thinking water in the motor?

Tks.
Kyle

W24 8.1 Vortec
Old 04-20-2008, 01:27 PM   #6
paz
Winnebago Camper

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kyle241:
Tks. for the link Frank. Unfortunately when one calls, they have a recording to list their dealers. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
My experience is that A&E will do very little to help you fix the awning yourself, only help you find the nearest dealer. They say it is because of safety reasons. I thought I was having a motor problem a few months ago and they wouldn't tell me a thing except to call a dealer. They may be more helpful with the sensor, however, than they would be for other parts such as the motor, arms, roll tube, etc.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kyle241:
Gary - Yes it's rained, I don't recall driving last when it was raining but then again I might have forgotten. Last time we had it out was in Dec. 07 and it's been in since then. A lot of rain has come down, very heavy downpours as a matter of fact. Are you thinking water in the motor? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
More likely it's water in the sensor. This has happened to me, but it usually just causes the awning to roll up without any error codes, then the awning works OK again when the sensor dries out.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 03:26 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Water may be the reason the awning is broke, on auto. I have the 9000 model. There are two water related things that have repeatedly happened to me.

1. When Newmar built the coach they drilled a 1/2" hole in the roof to feed the signal cable from the roof sensor to the control box. Newmar never closed the hole! When water got into the sensor housing it ran down the signal wire and into the connection at the control box. This resulted in repeated control box replacements.

Once I found the hole in the roof, I caulked it closed. Then the following happened:

2. The roof mounted sensor fills with water enough to cause something to permenantly go wrong. The solution was to drill a 3/16" hole at the bottom of the sensor housing (at the rear of the sensor). The hole should be facing the rear of the coach. This allows for water to drain out.

So far, I have had no repeat of this problem.

In all instances, the awning would work, by turning off the auto retract feature. Auto retract is one of those features I didn't realize how much I depended on it, until I didn't have it.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-22-2008, 01:23 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Thanks Paz and Gary. I had a feeling it might be water as well but just didn't know what I could do to address it. And Gary, that is unbelievable the two issues you have had. One would think the manufacturers would get it right because water is the enemy of all things electric.

I have opened the control box, removed it and nothing appears corroded with it. The wires however are difficult to do much about and I can't open the awning...is there a manual method to opening the awning??? I looked it up in their manual and they made it sound like I need to disconnect the motor to do this but obviously cannot get at it because it's closed.

Unless I can trouble-shoot it this week with all your ideas, looks like I will have to make a pit stop at a dealer who can fix the problem - yippee...

Thanks,
Kyle

W24 8.1 Vortec
Old 04-22-2008, 10:28 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

If your awning is a 9000 model, the awning should open by moving the auto retract switch (on the control box) to the off position. If the awning will still not deploy there is another problem, besides the sensor or control box. I've had bad sensors and totally fried control boxes and the awning would still deploy, when I turned off the auto retract feature. Consider starting at the switch you use to deploy the awning and see if there is power. If the switch has power, the next point would be the motor. If there is no power at the switch, you'll need to trace back to where the switch gets its' power from.

On edit, my awning came with an opperational jumper cable. I think this is for retracting the awning, but I am not sure. So far, I have not needed it.