Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2006, 04:21 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Well we have been across the country and back so I guess it is time for things to start acting up.

We have an A&E Electric awning over the door and patio. 3 days ago it was out when it started raining. We pulled the awnings in. Later we could not get the awnings to come back out. Then we drove a couple hundred miles and the awnings worked fine. Last night the awnings were our when it started raining so we pulled them in. This morning they will not go out.

When I press the "OUT" button there is no sound or movement. If I press the "IN" button (the awnings are in) there is a clicking sound up at the awning itself.

We are going to drive about 164 miles today. It will be real intersting to see if the awnings work when we get where we are going.

I will try calling Winnebago later today but in the meanwhile, any thoughts out there.

2006 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
AdrianLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 04:21 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Well we have been across the country and back so I guess it is time for things to start acting up.

We have an A&E Electric awning over the door and patio. 3 days ago it was out when it started raining. We pulled the awnings in. Later we could not get the awnings to come back out. Then we drove a couple hundred miles and the awnings worked fine. Last night the awnings were our when it started raining so we pulled them in. This morning they will not go out.

When I press the "OUT" button there is no sound or movement. If I press the "IN" button (the awnings are in) there is a clicking sound up at the awning itself.

We are going to drive about 164 miles today. It will be real intersting to see if the awnings work when we get where we are going.

I will try calling Winnebago later today but in the meanwhile, any thoughts out there.

2006 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 06-16-2006, 04:33 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Adrian, just checked to be sure, but if the ignition key is in any position except off, my awning won't work. It will work with the emergency brake off, but my slide won't go out unless the emergency brake is on. Lots of safety quirks...Good Luck,,,JIM
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 04:35 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I was having a problem with my power awning and finally found that a storage container in the storage area was sometimes sliding up against the awning switch that is located in that area. I doubt this is your problem but you might check to make sure nothing is touching that switch.
Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 05:43 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

You awnings operate off your engine starting batteries. Sounds like your batteries are low. When this happens I would immediately check the voltage on your engine batteries without starting the engine.
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 06:43 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

If the ignition is on the awnings will only go in, but not out, by design. I'm guessing that's the problem.

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 08:47 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Everyone,

Great suggestions but so far no joy.

Ignition off, jacks down, 13v+ on both house and chassie batteries, nothing pressing up against the control box in the bay, etc.

Tried awning once more before leaving Natchitoches, LA. - Nothing - Drove 139 miles, set up and immediately extended both patio and door awnings - grrrrrrrrrrrrr -happy it is working but I REALLY HATE things like this.

2006 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 06-16-2006, 09:12 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Adrian, I feel your frustration. Only thing I can think of is to turn the key on , then off and see if that helps. Call A&E and or it must be a loose connection. Wish I could come up with the magic answer. Jim
Old 06-16-2006, 12:16 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Go to this thread. It may answer your question.

http://irv2.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9486094452/m/...611040061#4611040061

In summary, your awning is operating as designed. If the wind sensor is wet, the awning will not deploy

Annapolis, MD
JamesOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 07:29 PM   #10
Winnebago Master

Adrian & Barbara

Our Carefree patio and door awnings will NOT go in with the key on ...have at last twice wished they would

You mentioned rain ... we had an in-op door awning (just clicked like yours) and found that the motor housing up on one end of the awning was full of rain water. The dealer dried out the electric motor, drilled a hole in the bottom of the motor housing so water would go right through rather than collect, and we have had no other problems since they did that 18 months ago.
Old 06-17-2006, 01:57 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

JamesOne may have your answer Adrian,, its worth a try..Just flip the switch on the little black box in the compartment toward the rear and see if it works at all times then...
Old 06-17-2006, 02:51 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

The thread JamesOne indicated is probably right on the money. I think the next time this happens I will try the suggestion and turn the sensor off and / or try to dry the wind sensor off.

Thanks a lot everyone. I believe we have an answer.

2006 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
Old 06-17-2006, 09:13 AM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Wecome to the world of the electric awning. Ours either goes in slowly. Doesn't go out. Goes out slowly or works perfectly since hubby worked on connections up at the roll. Now it hasn't been out in a wind lately. Last winter a south wind would deploy it at 6 mile per hour. A west wind wouldn't deploy it at all. We are always waiting to see what it will do next.lol