Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2016, 07:40 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

50 to 30 amp dogbone welded to power cable!

Anyone had a 50 to 30 amp dogbone weld itself to the motor home power cable?

I had it happen either Wednesday or Thursday last week. We were at a Radio Controlled helicopter event at AMA in Muncie, IN. There were power problems with site which showed itself with folks using the showers onsite feeling tingling of electricity during their shower. Nobody was hurt, but AMA shut down the showers and attempted to isolate the problem by turning off the power to stands one by one. They then went to measure voltage at ground (which was around 30volts). In so doing, I believe the load with my AC running (we weren't there to shut it off) and the resulting power surge perhaps caused the connectors to weld. Needless to say, we filled our water tank then disconnected water. Just a thought.

Scott
Old 08-07-2016, 09:02 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

yikes... that would take some heat....
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
2005 Fleetwood Revolution
'12 Chevy 2500HD
'15 Airstream International Signature 27FB
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 11:28 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Sorry to hear that. Now it's time to spend some money and get a Surge Protector installed, you will also need a new Power cord and Dogbone. I know you want to know why a new Power cord so I will explain.
1. The Dogbone is welded to the end, thus a massive current draw.
2. The integrity of the cable is compromised, Disconnect it from the Transfer Switch and perform an Ohm check between the various legs of the cable. You may even be able to feel soft spots in the cable where it has gotten hot and slightly melted.
3. You have to install a new end on the existing cable if you don't replace it and that is just asking for trouble due to making the connection anyway.
3. You need to inspect your Transfer switch and retighten all connections and install a Surge Protector anyway.

I would recommend one that installs in the Electrical bay just before the Transfer Switch. This keeps the connections out of the rain and out of sight of possible thieves. It also harder to misplace because it's Hardwired.
You may be able to use a 3 foot section of the old Power Cable to wire it in with.
Just my .01 worth of advice.
Old 08-08-2016, 08:37 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGewl View Post
Sorry to hear that. Now it's time to spend some money and get a Surge Protector installed, you will also need a new Power cord and Dogbone. I know you want to know why a new Power cord so I will explain.
1. The Dogbone is welded to the end, thus a massive current draw.
2. The integrity of the cable is compromised, Disconnect it from the Transfer Switch and perform an Ohm check between the various legs of the cable. You may even be able to feel soft spots in the cable where it has gotten hot and slightly melted.
3. You have to install a new end on the existing cable if you don't replace it and that is just asking for trouble due to making the connection anyway.
3. You need to inspect your Transfer switch and retighten all connections and install a Surge Protector anyway.

I would recommend one that installs in the Electrical bay just before the Transfer Switch. This keeps the connections out of the rain and out of sight of possible thieves. It also harder to misplace because it's Hardwired.
You may be able to use a 3 foot section of the old Power Cable to wire it in with.
Just my .01 worth of advice.
Thank you for the reply. I do have a wired-in surge suppressor just before the transfer switch. There was no error code on the surge suppressor's remote display--I don't rely on the transfer switch at all--I turn everything off before I connect or disconnect power.

Because there was no error code from the surge suppressor is very troubling to me. I am going to do as you state.

I filed a claim with AMA before I left stating the situation, so hopefully there will be some kind of relief that is not on my insurance.

The coincidence is this is the first time I ever used a dogbone. At AMA for this event, they over-book the camp ground and "stack" RV's. I get there early so I don't get stacked, but this year in addition to me, there were two other RV's using the same power stand as I. I used the dogbone by request and because I was leaving early due to a prior commitment and didn't want to "stick" anyone else. I've never liked that they stacked and used multiple connections on the stand, but I've never had a problem until this time around.

Scott

PS I was on a submarine, too. Greenling--SSN-614.
Old 08-08-2016, 08:39 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma800 View Post
yikes... that would take some heat....
Not so sure it was heat, but it may have been arcing. Either way, the only way the dogbone is coming off is by cutting it off.

Scott
Old 08-08-2016, 07:58 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

CG electrical system lost it's ground connection, that's why the folks showering felt the "tingle", they completed the circuit to earth. Lucky no-one showering had a pacemaker. I would pressure CG for a settlement that fixes everything damaged in your RV. They caused the problem with the "stacking" idea that overloaded the system, and insufficient grounding.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 08:57 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

50 to 30 amp dogbone welded to power cable!

Be sure you check EVERYTHING in your coach before you file with the campground. You should also evaluate the protection you are getting, a surge suppressor does NOT protect against all the things that can be wrong with incoming power. I recommend you look at the products from Progressive Industries http://www.progressiveindustries.net...ardwired/c1p4w. Along with monitoring the incoming power and saving error codes, it will shut it down if it is not right, protecting your coach.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 10:34 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

I don't "think" there is a problem with the coach AC system. I say "think" because I can't be sure until I actually plug in again and I had no indications of a power problem in the motor home prior to finding the welded dogbone. I will order a hard wired progressive surge suppressor as I have heard nothing but good things about them. I will install it before I plug in again.

Scott
Old 08-09-2016, 11:31 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Resistance welding?

I read what has been said, but I think the heat for welding may have been a result of a bad connection in your power cord and or dog bone. That poor connection raised the resistance at that connection and the draw of the A/C unit created enough heat to "weld" at that connection.
You mentioned this was the first time using the dog bone. Perhaps it was corroded inside from lack of use. An application of De-Ox on the dog bones should keep corrosion to a minimum.
A good idea in future is to feel for heat at the dog bone and at the site hook up after it has been under load for a bit. If heat is felt, turn off the load and check for loose connections.

The lack of ground I believe is another if not unrelated issue. Unless you find the "welded" connection was on your ground pin.

My $0.02
Grandpa19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 12:20 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa19 View Post
I read what has been said, but I think the heat for welding may have been a result of a bad connection in your power cord and or dog bone. That poor connection raised the resistance at that connection and the draw of the A/C unit created enough heat to "weld" at that connection.
You mentioned this was the first time using the dog bone. Perhaps it was corroded inside from lack of use. An application of De-Ox on the dog bones should keep corrosion to a minimum.
A good idea in future is to feel for heat at the dog bone and at the site hook up after it has been under load for a bit. If heat is felt, turn off the load and check for loose connections.

The lack of ground I believe is another if not unrelated issue. Unless you find the "welded" connection was on your ground pin.

My $0.02
I think you're right. I won't ever use a dogbone again. The dogbone was kept inside the motor home when we traveled and inside our house when we were at home.

Here are pictures of the dogbone. The pictures were taken by the site host.

Scott
Attached Images

Old 08-09-2016, 12:34 PM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:

My $0.02
I think this is exactly right. Resistance became heat, which resulted in the contacts fusing together. Having a full load at the CG probably caused some voltage drop, which exacerbated the resistance problem since for same power it needed more amps.

The ground issue is a separate problem, not part of the resistance heating issue.
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 12:41 PM   #12
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:

My $0.02
x 2 Yup, result of a bad connection in your power cord & adapter.
C&SL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 06:00 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

I don't think you should go as far as never using a dogbone adapter again, most of us have used them for years with no problems. As stated, most likely cause was the low voltage which increased amperage which in turn generated excessive heat and fused the connections.

Many [older] campgrounds don't have 50 amp service, especially State Parks. Always inspect the post female connector for cleanliness of connection, look for pitting and/or corrosion these make for a poor connection causing arcing and/or excessive amp draw. Get the Progessive model with the readout display, or remote, so you have immediate feedback. Also insure your cord connectors are "clean" as well.

I doubt, and I'm sure most concur, your dogbone alone did not cause this problem.
TarasParents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 02:31 AM   #14
Winnie-Wise

Thanks, everyone. I think I've learned a valuable lesson here.

Scott

Tags
power