Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2017, 05:10 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

3rd cracked windshield

Another cracked windshield

This is the third one and I know I am going to have a hard time getting the insurance company to pay for this one.

Do I have a problem with my coach? The windshield that is cracked was replaced several years ago.

Has anyone else had this problem with numerous windshield cracks?

Ron
Ron & Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 07:10 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron & Dee View Post

This is the third one and I know I am going to have a hard time getting the insurance company to pay for this one.

Do I have a problem with my coach? The windshield that is cracked was replaced several years ago.

Has anyone else had this problem with numerous windshield cracks?

Ron
You may have an issue with corrosion where the windshield mounts and is sealed.

If there is corrosion it will make a high spot that will crack your windshield.

Your RV dealer should inspect and fix this issue before installing new glass.
Forza Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 09:02 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

The windshield that is cracked again was supposed to have had the frame cleaned and sanded to remove the rust and painted.

If and when they replace the glass this time I will make sure the frame is not rusted.

Ron
Old 03-28-2017, 04:38 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
The windshield that is cracked again was supposed to have had the frame cleaned and sanded to remove the rust and painted.

If and when they replace the glass this time I will make sure the frame is not rusted.

Ron
I'd bet that your repair has failed, as others, including my self, have experienced. While it may not be as bad, I won't be surprised if you report that sections of your windshield have rusted and rotted yet again. Not that Winnebago will admit to it... -RT
RTegarini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 06:47 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Do you have auto levelers or not. I have read if you jack it up incorrectly you can crack your windshield. I know my friends auto level system levels the coach side to side with the rear levelers and then jacks the front up second. It lifts the front evenly so as not to twist the frame. Others might have an opinion. My coach I have to put them down myself, so I try to follow a similar procedure as my friends. I figure the auto leveler should follow the correct procedure.
Old 03-28-2017, 11:39 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by winniman View Post
Do you have auto levelers or not. I have read if you jack it up incorrectly you can crack your windshield. I know my friends auto level system levels the coach side to side with the rear levelers and then jacks the front up second. It lifts the front evenly so as not to twist the frame. Others might have an opinion. My coach I have to put them down myself, so I try to follow a similar procedure as my friends. I figure the auto leveler should follow the correct procedure.
You beat me to the punch. The big question is when does it seem to crack. Is it because you get a rock chip and then it spiders out from there or is it a crack from one side heading inward?
The latter of the 2 being caused by improper leveling of the coach. Basically twisting the frame when you level it.
Now watch me mess it up.
You should level side to side first, that's both low side jacks need lowering.
Then level front to back, at this time only one of the front or back jacks should actually deploy because the other one is already deployed. Once it hit ground and starts to lift, both should then lift until level front to back.
Finally deploy the last jack. The button you push depends on if the MH is no longer level side to side or front to back. If the MH is level all around then you only need to deploy it until it touches the ground and barely starts to lift the MH.
Doing it this way will ensure that you are not twisting the frame of the MH and possibly braking the windshield.
Just my .01 worth
Old 03-29-2017, 03:18 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

My levelers are front or back, or side.

I usually level what ever yellow light is on first and then put the other jacks down to stabilize the coach.

The first windshield I had replaced, I'm pretty sure it was caused by rust. The next one I thought was caused by a rock. Now this one is cracked well inside the window, no indication of crack caused by a rock.

The first window that cracked started out with a cloudy spot in the lower right hand corner. After several years, I don't remember how many, the window started cracking from the cloudy spot.

We have had the MH since 04, it seems like the cracked windshields started about 5 years ago. I can't remember how long we had the cloudy spot in the first window before it started cracking.

Thanks for the replies,

Ron
Old 03-29-2017, 03:16 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:

......Do I have a problem with my coach? .......
Ron
If you've had two caused by rocks and one by rusted frame, then I would say it's not a a problem with the motorhome. I would say it's mostly bad luck and/or the environment you drive in.

Good luck with the insurance company,
Bill
Old 04-02-2017, 12:47 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

cause of cracks

I'm not sure of the cause of the cracks, two may have been rust related.

In this image I thought it might have been caused by a rock

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5422+.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	126.9 KB
ID:	156909

Ron
Old 04-02-2017, 01:05 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTegarini View Post
I'd bet that your repair has failed, as others, including my self, have experienced. While it may not be as bad, I won't be surprised if you report that sections of your windshield have rusted and rotted yet again. Not that Winnebago will admit to it... -RT
Interesting, that I've read so many threads with water pooling at the bottom of the windshield, rust complaints and cracked windshields (all Winnebago).
ModestMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 01:18 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe

3 in how many years? Same ins. co. for all 3?
2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, GP, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with GSXR 1100T or KLR650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 02:12 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

First windshield replaced in 2013, second one last year, and now the latest one this year. Two different insurance Co. We are still with the insurance Co that replaced the one last year. The insurance that we have now said if it happened again they wouldn't pay for the replacement.

I think Florida's law says the insurance has to pay for windshield replacement. I don't know if they mean damage by rocks or by something else.

I hope if push comes to shove I can at least have the insurance pay for the replacement with my deductible.

Ron
Old 04-02-2017, 06:02 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTegarini View Post
I doubt it. OP stated they had the rust repaired. Highly unlikely the repair failed within 3 or 4 years.

I had mine repaired years back and suffered an cracked windshield from a rock, which is what the OP's picture looks like to me. Upon removal of the cracked glass, the frame was as good as when it was repaired a few years earlier.

Please be sure to inspect the frame when the glass is pulled out and report back.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 06:10 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

Quote:
My levelers are front or back, or side.

I usually level what ever yellow light is on first and then put the other jacks down to stabilize the coach.

The first windshield I had replaced, I'm pretty sure it was caused by rust. The next one I thought was caused by a rock. Now this one is cracked well inside the window, no indication of crack caused by a rock.

The first window that cracked started out with a cloudy spot in the lower right hand corner. After several years, I don't remember how many, the window started cracking from the cloudy spot.

We have had the MH since 04, it seems like the cracked windshields started about 5 years ago. I can't remember how long we had the cloudy spot in the first window before it started cracking.

Thanks for the replies,

Ron
Not sure I understand how you use your leveling system. Winnebago recommends leveling side to side first, then front to back. Not sure your broken windshield has anything to do with this but just thought I would mention it.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 06:30 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

When ever I get the windshield replace I will update this Thread.

Quote:
Not sure I understand how you use your leveling system. Winnebago recommends leveling side to side first, then front to back. Not sure your broken windshield has anything to do with this but just thought I would mention it.
My leveling system shows me which side, front or back is unlevel with a yellow indicator light. I always level which ever light is on first.

Ron
Old 04-05-2017, 08:57 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

I find it hard to believe that using your leveling system is cracking your windshield unless there is some other underlining cause. Leveling the MH doesn't seem anymore severe than driving in and out of some driveways. Also, if you get a flat, your tire guy is going to jack up that corner of the MH. He will not jack up the entire side.

So, with that said, I read my Winnebago manual. Winnebago had 6 "Do Not" listed. Lifting the sides first versus the front/back was not one of them.

My point is.... I would not blame myself for a cracked windshield.
Old 04-05-2017, 09:22 AM   #17
RKL
Winnebago Owner

Pull back the rubber trim at the bottom of the glass and see if the crack started at the metal or rusted clip that the glass rests on. This will solve the mystery of what is going on. Follow crack to the end and check that also. Rkl