Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-20-2008, 04:14 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

On the front of my coach the film protection is cracking. This year there was alot of sun on the front of the coach. This cracks come up all at once. Have anybody had this problem.
Randy Chesnutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 07:31 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

How old is your rig?
Old 12-20-2008, 10:15 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

The 3m film on my '03 (I had it put on after purchase) has no cracking that I have noticed. It does have a few edges that are slightly lifted/dirty looking. I don't recall what the warranty is on the 3m film, but I would check with 3m or a 3m vendor to see what they could tell me about it.
Old 12-20-2008, 02:53 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Finhawk, it,s a 04 Journey. I just starting to work on the the 3M vender. I thought I would check and see if others had this problem.It would be my luck that am the one and only.Mine has the brown color around the edges.
Randy Chesnutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 07:06 AM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

I have a 2003 Airstream and it's dirty looking all over the front of the MH. I paid a body shop to get it off, they finished about a third of the job and refused to do the rest. They were afraid of doing damage and it was eating up too many man hours above their quote. If you get a good number or contact for 3M, I would appreciate your sharing with me. The front of my MH looks real tacky with that dirty looking 3M film on it. Thanks
BB501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 07:50 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

We have a guy here in Michigan who's been working with the 3M films for over 10 years. If anyone's local I'd definitely give him a buzz. He may still be worth a phone call from farther away, he may have some good advice.

He's Bob Reid. Here's his website:

CGM Detroit

(He changed locations recently, I sure hope his website is up to date...)

tderonne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 03:18 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

i have a 2004 meridian and the film is cracked, and the edges are all brown . looks terrible, any info would really help. thanks
marleygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 01:12 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I have a 2006 Tour and have the film flaking above the passenger seat and on the refrigerator vent panel. Took it to Lazydays here in Tampa. Not their problem. They said call Winnebago. Not their problem. They referred us to a subcontractor in Iowa. Wife is still pulling on his leg. Will let you know how it comes out.
airborne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 02:59 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
film flaking above the passenger seat and on the refrigerator vent panel.
That sounds like Clear Coat flaking off the paint rather than 3m film ...3m can crack, but not flake, and 3m will normally be only on the front of the coach. The sub-contractor probably is CDI. They are the paint place right across the road from the Winnebago plant. They do all the Winnebago full-body paint and have repaired many units with peeling/flaking Clear Coat. They may give you the option of having it repaired at a local paint place of your choice rather than having to take it to their plant in Iowa ...others have had that choice.
Old 01-15-2009, 10:40 AM   #10
Winnebago Watcher

The cracking and turning brown around the edges is only the beginning! My 01 is now brown all throughout and the cracking everywhere. Warranty is one year. Getting it off without destroying the paint is near impossible. Wish I had never put it on. Estimates to remove it and fix the paint will make your hair curl!!!!!!
Texas Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 06:53 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

My 06 choach has a couple of rock hits which caused small tares which look like a bug hit that you can,t get rid of. But what I,m hearing is that this product is just not providing the good looks and an long term benifit. May be 3m will have a cheap simple way to to undo some thing we all paid extra for.

06 Itasca 40' Horizon KD
Party Barge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 04:13 AM   #12
Winnebago Watcher

is the 3m film the same as diamond shield?
this came with our new coach and included a spray can of Plexus plastic cleaner protectant and polish.
wonder if the use of this product will prevent the discoloration etc.
they recommend apprication monthly and not washing for 48 hours after application.
bandmbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 11:45 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally posted by Randy Chesnutt:
Finhawk, it,s a 04 Journey. I just starting to work on the the 3M vender. I thought I would check and see if others had this problem.It would be my luck that am the one and only.Mine has the brown color around the edges.
rojodoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 12:56 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

Quote:
is the 3m film the same as diamond shield?
Diamond Shield film is a similar product, but not the "same" thing as 3m. I don't know if Diamond Shield has a layer of Clear Coat on like 3m film does. 3m recommends you use the same wax on the film that you would use on Clear Coat auto paint ...no recomendation for plastic cleaner, protectorant, etc. Seems I have heard more about Diamond Shield turning yellow than I have 3M ...just my impression from comments I've heard over the years.
Old 01-20-2009, 07:42 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

I have Diamond Shield on the front of my 2004 DSDP. The lowest part of the front, about 8" from the bottom up is dark brown. That portion has cracked real bad. The rest of the film hasn't cracked, but looks like crap. Numerous pits and bug spots. I thought I had kept it pretty clean and used 303 protectant on the film, per the DS techs recommendation.
My MH was made in August of 2003 and has always been in the brutal Florida sun.
I just put some pricey,Ice,synthetic paste polish on the film, after waxing the MH. It made the film look 10 times better. Now you have to get really close to the MH to see how bad the film is. This polish doesn't leave any white residue, so it helped blend in all the cracks at the bottom of the film.
A while back,I had tried to remove the film, with a heat gun and gave up. It is as if the film has permanently bonded with the paint. I am sure if I had anyone try and get the film off, a lot of paint would strip off with it.
If I were to order a new MH it would be without any film on the front. I would rather touch up the paint.
Tom

2004 DSDP 3807, 370HP Spartan
tmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote