Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 07-07-2011, 07:48 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Red face 39K Coolant Surge Tank Replacement

I mentioned before, my surge tank is not leaking, but the middle seam at the rear seems to be separating. I'm taking this as a sign that it is on its way out. I purchased a new one for $100 and yesterday, began the process. Using both rear interior access panels and with the rear exterior access, I was able to remove 3 of the 4 bolts that hold this thing down. The last one was a bearcat. All bolts have self-locking(tempered) nuts so you must wrench them all the way off and access is limited. I could not get enough leverage to break loose(some were rusted) the curb side, front bolt. I didn't want to strip the nut so I gave up. I could have it replaced by the dealer with my $200 deductible warranty but I figured I could save $100 by doing it myself. Soooo, I re-installed everything I took out and called the shop. The service manager said they are a problem but his guys have somehow figured it out. I take it in Monday and let the warranty pay for it. I was also trying to save the 100 mile round trip fuel costs, but with what I know now, I'll be happy to absorb it.

I am attending the Camp Freightliner class 3-4 Aug in OR. Looking forward to more learing opportunites. One cannot have enough knowlege about diesel chassis. The "Journey" continues. My next project is to replace the original sat. automatic dish which is not automatic anymore. It will rise and search but not stop at the signal; I have to stop it when it reaches optimum signal; time wasted when I could be pouring a cocktail. The software is shot and there is no replacement. Going to replace it with a new-to-market Wingard Mission dome. Used my Android Phone Barcode scanner at Camping World display and found several on-line dealers that offer it for a very good price.

Barry
04 Journey 39K(the first year of this model)
02 Dakota 4X w/124K mi., 4.7 V-8(going strong)
One wife of 42 yrs who just shakes her head most of the time
doorguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 08:34 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

When I replaced the surge tank on my 39 K I cut the old tank apart while it was still in place witch allowed me access to the hard to get at bolt on the passenger side. Putting the new tank in was not as hard to do as getting the old one out.

I will be interested in how the sat dish replacement works out for you.
Bob
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 11:11 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Good advice, Bob. Question, what did you use to cut the tank up and when the new one went in, how did you get the rear passenger side nut on the bolt? Fingers won't get in there.

Barry
Old 07-08-2011, 03:10 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

When I changed the coolant recovery tank on our rig, I had the same problem of not being able to get one of the bolts loose. It came out very easily when I cut the tank apart with my sawzall, helped to get rid of some frustration also.
Old 07-08-2011, 07:30 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

39K Coolant Surge Tank Replacement

Bob and martind4, thank you for the tips. I hate to admit defeat, so after your inputs and a good nights sleep, me being a remodeling contractor, I drug my Sawsall out of the truck, removed the shoe so I could get in further and started cutting. I even managed to cut the bolt between the tank flange and the metal brace. You were correct, the new tank went in MUCH easier. To install that same pain-in-the-butt bolt, I had to cut a piece of plywood to straddle the access opening, crawl in the closet feet first so I could get my left arm down there to punch it thru the hole and set the nut. It was still tricky wrenching both holding a wrench on the bolt head and wrenching the nut. Since my head was facing down and it was hot, the sweat kept dripping in my eyes from my face and stinging. Geez. All is reconnected, fluid replaced, I just now have to install the air dam that holds the electrical pin test connector. The plastic flanges on that broke from heat and age, so I am making an aluminum flange to fit the backside of that connector to hold it onto the air dam.

The next time I have to access that closet trap door, I had better remove ALL the wifes clothes hanging above it; I managed to get a grease spot on her favorite sweater Now she is not quite understanding that I saved $100 by doing all this work myself in 2.5 days. She may have a point there, but I consider it a learning experience. I faxed the service center and cancelled my Monday appt. and explained the entire process to him.

Thank you again, your advice was invaluable.

Barry
04 Journey 39K
Old 07-09-2011, 09:43 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Barry - I've been off line for a couple of days - I'm happy that worked for you. I don't specifically remember but think I used a wrench with a "socket" in it - don't know what it's called but it is kind of like a box end wrench that ratchets so once it's on you can keep the bolt turning without removing the wrench. I couldn't seen the bolt but was able to get the wrench on by feel and move it or turn it with finger tips.
Bob
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 07:13 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Bob, thanx, I did figure it out. I came in from the far left side of the tank with two 3/8" extensions and a socket on the end. I could line up the socket with the bolt and tighten it that way. In the opening directly under the tank on the right side, I couldn't get a socket wrench in there, too narrow. Barry

Tags
replacement, tank