Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-05-2008, 08:44 AM   #21
I helped | retired moderator

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Does 303 Aerospace Protectant contain petroleum products?? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

From the 303 web site;

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Unlike other "protectant" products, 303 does not contain silicone oils, waxes, glycerin or petroleum distillates. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 02:46 PM   #22
Winnebago Camper

I use this exclusively for the last 5 year and it's great stuff. Best price I can find is $59.50 for a gallon and "FREE" shipping. Just search ebay for 303 protectant and you'll see the deal.
Old 09-05-2008, 04:38 PM   #23
Winnebago Camper

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">If it isn't obvious from the ingredients, spray it on a piece of glass and let it dry. The rule-of-thumb (according to Paul Smith of HWH) is if there is a visible film left behind, then it contains petroleum. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Then if it contains petroleum products why would you use it on rubber tires? It's my understanding that you should never use petroleum products on tires, or am I mistaken about that?

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 04:42 PM   #24
Winnebago Camper

Yup, straight from the 303 website:

"303 Aerospace Protectant
"SPF 40 SUNSCREEN" For Your Stuff
Developed for aerospace and aviation applications, 303 is the world's most effective UV screening product. Unlike other "protectant" products, 303 does not contain silicone oils, waxes, glycerin or petroleum distillates. 303 leaves a like-new, non-oily, anti-static finish that does not attract dust. Treated stay cleaner longer, reducing maintenance."

That pretty well sums it up, of course unless they're being less than truthful.

Old 09-06-2008, 03:26 AM   #25
Winnebago Master

303 has a great reputation, use and enjoy. Soon it will be like many other things we use, we will find out it isn't goof for anything. For now its good. Safe Miles
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 03:28 AM   #26
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LVJ58:
Then if it contains petroleum products why would you use it on rubber tires? It's my understanding that you should never use petroleum products on tires, or am I mistaken about that? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Just because a product is developed and marketed for a particular application, that in no way, shape, or form means that it is either effective, safe, or the best product for that particular application.

Lots of marketing dollars and creative advertising can make a marginal product very successful economically. Thompson's Water Seal is a good example. Consumer's Reports consistently rated it at or near the bottom of their sealer evaluations over the years yet the product continues to apparently be successful.

Caveat emptor.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 07:15 AM   #27
Winnebago Camper

Just because a product is developed and marketed for a particular application, that in no way, shape, or form means that it is either effective, safe, or the best product for that particular application.[/quote]

OK John, I wholeheartedly agree with your views on products & marketing, but then, why do you occasionally use it on your tires if you believe it contains petroleum products that's harmful to rubber?

Just trying to understand the rationale in your logic.

Best regards, Jim

Old 09-06-2008, 08:03 AM   #28
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">OK John, I wholeheartedly agree with your views on products & marketing, but then, why do you occasionally use it on your tires if you believe it contains petroleum products that's harmful to rubber?

Just trying to understand the rationale in your logic.

Best regards, Jim </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Jim - I'm not claiming that 303 has petroleum in the formulation. 303 may/may not be the best product out there if you need good looking tires

I have used tire care products on an occasional basis for many years (recently including 303) - my use is so occasional I can't imagine any harm coming to the tires even if there were potentially harmful ingredients. My opinion is that tires are replaced long before any harm could be done; now if you are the type that wants the gloss black look all the time and you spray stuff on the tires once a week - then who knows what would happen over a long-term basis.

I actually bought 303 to see if it would improve water/dew shedding of my King Dome since the RV store I was in didn't have King Dome spray. It didn't seem to make any difference, so I started using it on the tires once in a while (maybe 2x a year.) I tried it on some plastic on my truck, and after a while there was a milky white film everywhere I used the 303. My quart bottle is three years old and there's still plenty left!

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 08:14 AM   #29
Winnebago Master

Case in point, "Armor All" I have been told by local tire dealer, it is the worst thing you can do to rubber or vinyl.
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 08:47 AM   #30

I agree, I've heard that Armorall is bad too but the reason we started using 303 is because we read this old article (read last paragraph):

http://www.rvamerica.com/rvlife/buz2.htm

This article explains why Michellin does not recommend protectants in general because they want you to use their own propietary brand "Michelin/Pylon 3-in-1 Tire Shine.:

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2...08/006448.html

You can use this stuff once a week according to this:

http://www.michelinwiper.com/FAQ2.php

http://www.michelinman.com/tire-care...care-products/

I don't know if it's necessarily true that 303 will harm your tires ...it's just that Michellin would rather sell their own brand.
amanda_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 09:22 AM   #31
Winnebago Camper

John, thanks for the explanation, I've never used any type of tire dressing on my tires.

I only use the 303 on my tires for the UV protection they claim. So far it's worked pretty well.

I replaced the original GY G159 tires Jan 2007 with Bridgestones and sidewalls on the old tires were still smooth as a baby's bottom, no weather cracks.

At present I don't have tire covers which I'm sure would be far better for UV protection.

Perhaps in the near future I'll get some.

Thanks again and take care, Jim

Old 09-06-2008, 10:11 AM   #32

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by porscheracer:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by amanda_h: It's great stuff to use on the tire sidewall too as it is supposed to have great UV protectant properties. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't know about anyone else, or about this specific product, but Michelin specifically says DO NOT use any sort of protectant on their tires. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Norm, in addition to my post above, 303 says this on their website so we've always assumed that it's good for any tire:

"303 FOR TIRES: 303 contains no petrochemicals or silicone oils and does not remove the protective waxes. 303 is actually absorbed into tires, delivering its unique set of powerful UV stabilizers into the tire polymer, supplementing and surpassing the UV protective action of the carbon black, and leaving a long-lasting, flexible protective finish that is water repellent, detergent resistant and will not attract dust. Ozone must eat through the 303 before it can get to the wax. 303 is an extremely effective anti-oxidant and anti-ozonant. 303 is the longest lasting, most powerful protective and beautifying treatment for tires and all other synthetic and natural rubber."
amanda_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 06:36 PM   #33
Winnebago Master

A search on Tires and Ozone will get results that are mimicked in THIS ARTICLE, although it is provided by the 303 Protectant company.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 03:40 AM   #34
Winnebago Owner

We have used a product by Thetford called "Rubber Seal Conditioner" which is an aerosolized mineral oil. It doesn't contain petroleum distillates but does provide UV protection. The product says it can be used on all rubber seals (slides, doors, etc.) as well as tires.

Fran and David
Old 09-07-2008, 10:59 AM   #35
Winnebago Watcher

I have been using 303 protectant for about 4 years. Use it on my rubber seals and tires, don't wipe it off. just apply and let dry. Camping World and West Marine carry it in my area.
Steve

Alcoa Dura Bright rims
Steve & Betty is offline   Reply With Quote