Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-19-2016, 08:16 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

27N slide problems

Has anyone had any slide problems with the full wall slide on their 27N? Mine makes lots of noise, creaking and popping while running it in or out. It is also showing signs of wear on the teeth at the outer end of the slide rail. MH is a 2013 with approx 20,000 miles
Old 06-19-2016, 08:41 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Mine does not have uneven wear on the tracks but it did make a fair amount of noise when moving it in or out. I forgot the name of the recommended slide lubrication (it's something like Power Lube with PTFE). There are many threads that will give you the right name. It took care of the noise. By the way we have a 2013 27N too and love it.
Devilsquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 07:25 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

1. Look at the screws in the slide track and make sure they are all tight. Many of mine were not tight and that can't be good for slide operation.

2. You should level your coach before you operate the slides and put slides in before raising jacks. OK to operate slides if parked on level ground without jacks down.

3. You can call Winnebago customer service and see if your VIN is eligible for any free changes, be sure to tell them about the wear and the unacceptable noises. I would "hope" they want to be proactive and fix the mechanisms before they have a catastrophic failure.

They are on about the third or fourth version of the slide system, my 2015 Vista is on a version that seems to be working well, but I don't think they got it figured out at the time your coach was built.

This may require a factory visit, don't know that many dealers are trained and qualified to do the slide mechanism upgrades.

4. Do the slide alignment procedure quite often. This involves holding town the button for 3-5 seconds AFTER you hear the motors stop. This is how the slide controller resets the alignment of the two ends of the slides so it goes all the way in and out and stays straight.
powercat_ras is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 07:39 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

We love our 27N too, especially the storage space. It's the ideal MH for 2 people.

I used the lubricant with PTFE, it still makes a lot of noise. I have an appointment at the factory in Junction City next Mon., the 27th of June. When I called for the appt. I asked about the retrofit Power Gear system, was told that so far they don't have one for the 27N. May have the high torque motors and new slide rails put on while it's at the factory.

Randy, I always hold the switch for at least 5 seconds after the motors stop running. Thanks for the info about checking the screws, will check them tomorrow

Tom
Old 07-07-2016, 08:06 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Picked up MH from WB factory in Junction City, Or today. Below is a partial description of the problem listed on the service invoice.

OP#1- Customer states passenger side slide making a lot of noise. Ran PS slide room out and supported with jack stands, removed all screws holding mechanisms to side wall and slide wall, removed both slides, measured caps to square up room and found that the forward slide mechanism was too high and carrying partial weight of the room, rear slide mechanism was tilted out, installed both slides to slide room and flushed them with the side wall, drilled new holes for side wall mounts and secured slides, silicone tops, bottom and sides, ran motor wires and installed wire covers, test ran room, good at this time.

Talked to the tech that did the work, he said that several of the slide screws were broken off.

TOM
Old 07-09-2016, 08:01 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Tom

Not meaning to hijack the thread...

I also have a 2013 27N. I noticed you have Koni shocks. Did you replace the front only or all of them. How did it impact the ride quality? I find the coach ride to be a bit harsh...

Thanks
David
dwaugh10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 08:27 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

David,
I had all four shocks replaced, the ride was maybe a little softer with the Koni's. Don't know if it was really worth the expense or not.

Tom
Old 07-09-2016, 10:36 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for your feedback!

David
dwaugh10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 09:46 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

TOMFEN,

Can you say how much this all cost at the factory?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMFEN View Post
Picked up MH from WB factory in Junction City, Or today. Below is a partial description of the problem listed on the service invoice.

OP#1- Customer states passenger side slide making a lot of noise. Ran PS slide room out and supported with jack stands, removed all screws holding mechanisms to side wall and slide wall, removed both slides, measured caps to square up room and found that the forward slide mechanism was too high and carrying partial weight of the room, rear slide mechanism was tilted out, installed both slides to slide room and flushed them with the side wall, drilled new holes for side wall mounts and secured slides, silicone tops, bottom and sides, ran motor wires and installed wire covers, test ran room, good at this time.

Talked to the tech that did the work, he said that several of the slide screws were broken off.

TOM
Old 07-13-2016, 08:18 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Dan
The total cost for the slide mechanism with installation was $2476.01, the slide mechanism was $792.68, labor was $1,446.70, shipping and handling was $198.97 the rest of the cost was for shop supplies and hazardous waste removal.

Tom
Old 07-15-2016, 03:27 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Wow. I wish you many happy trails with the new system.

Tags
ems, problems, slide, slide problems