Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2018, 09:58 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

26RBSS Minnie Plus Model is Leaking

Hello Colleagues,

I have a new 2018 26RBSS Minnie Plus towable travel trailer I purchased last summer. I did a lot of research before purchasing and because I am a tall guy, I was looking for a trailer with a tall ceiling. The Minnie Plus, with it's domed ceiling, was a perfect fit for me.

Unfortunately, three months after we took delivery of the unit we had a MAJOR water leak from the rain that destroyed the two nightstands in the bedroom, damaged the material below the bed and in the storage basement beneath, and stained the ceiling. We also found mold growing in the closets and in the basement. The storage compartment doors were also leaking.

After some wrangling on the phone with the Winnebago warranty department and after taking the trailer to two different Winnebago Dealers, we finally were approved for a warranty repair. We are going on week 8 without a trailer. Evidently the sealant they used to join the walls of the trailer to the roof was faulty or missing in all four corners of the trailer. In addition, the seals around the basement storage compartment doors were also leaking.

After waiting 5 weeks for Winnebago to ship the parts to the Dealership for repair, they arrived broken so we are back at square one again. I thought I would post this just in case there are other owners of the Minnie Plus models out there with water leaks. The first dealership I took the trailer to for repair told me he had 3 units ahead of me in line with the same issue and told me it would be several months before he could repair it since he would have to open up the entire front of the trailer to do the repairs.

We are very disappointed since we waited so long to purchase this RV and we thought Winnebago was a good and reliable brand. I am going to remain hopeful and think positive for a good outcome. I really like the trailer and we love the dark Navy Blue color of the exterior.

I will keep this board posted on the outcome but I wanted to warn other owners to be careful about leaving anything they don't want water damaged stored in the trailer. It destroyed several items in our bedroom and ruined a comforter that was on the bed. I don't even know how bad the mold was when they opened the trailer for repair. The service technician said there was "quite a bit" of mold growing inside the walls of the bedroom due to the leaking roof. I live in Washington State near Seattle and we get a LOT of rain so we cannot have a trailer that leaks.

Onward and upward! If anyone out there has had a similar experience with the 26RBSS Minnie Plus model I'd like to hear from you. This same problem could occur with other Minnie Plus models also, I'm not sure.

Thank you for reading my post and happy trails to all of you.

John
Old 05-10-2018, 04:03 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Send a message via Yahoo to rk911
do yourself a favor and call Winnebago customer service and see if indeed the parts have been ordered by the repairing dealer. Winnebago is usually pretty good about filling parts orders and I'm betting the problem is on the dealer end. let us know.

2016 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 02:12 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Will do. Thank you.
John
Old 06-07-2018, 06:26 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Update - After 8 weeks at the dealership (most of that time was the dealership waiting to receive parts from Winnebago) my unit is repaired and back home. They did an exceptional job. They had to replace panels and use a different sealant on the 4 corners. Evidently, Winnebago has a problem with the sealant and/or the QA process for sealing the roofs on their products. It's an issue with 2018 and 2019 units but it's easily corrected by using the correct sealant. So, happy ending!

Side note - Winnebago steadfastly denies there is any problem yet both dealerships I took it to said they had several new units on the lot that had water leaks due to the same issue. (interesting.................)
Old 06-07-2018, 10:25 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcolang View Post
Update - After 8 weeks at the dealership (most of that time was the dealership waiting to receive parts from Winnebago) my unit is repaired and back home. They did an exceptional job. They had to replace panels and use a different sealant on the 4 corners. Evidently, Winnebago has a problem with the sealant and/or the QA process for sealing the roofs on their products. It's an issue with 2018 and 2019 units but it's easily corrected by using the correct sealant. So, happy ending!

Side note - Winnebago steadfastly denies there is any problem yet both dealerships I took it to said they had several new units on the lot that had water leaks due to the same issue. (interesting.................)
Thanks for the update; I'm glad they got it fixed for you.
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak