Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-30-2019, 09:15 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

22m winterization help

How do you 22m owners add you antifreeze to your water lines? There is not enough room in front of my water pump to add a 3 way valve, I have been disconnecting line going into pump and doing it that way but I have to disconnect pump from mount to do have room, kind of a hassle, thought some one might have come up with better idea, thanks for imput.
kcscriv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 12:30 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

did you ever get an answer to your question?...I have a 22m and have the same question...what is the best way to winterize it?
wkfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 03:09 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

No answers yet, thanks
Old 11-01-2019, 03:31 PM   #4
2018 Minnie Winnie 22M

I'm afraid I won't be much help, as I live in the Sacramento area in northern California, and I don't go through a real comprehensive winterization because I don't have to. In my 22M, I drain all of the tanks, open the faucets, open the winterization valves in the water lines, use compressed air to blow out the lines with the valves open, drain the hot water tank, and when I'm convinced everything has drained about as much as it will, I shut all of the valves, remove and drain the water line filter at the water pump, pour a little bit of RV anti freeze down each of the traps and call it good. If I lived where I expected it to get seriously cold, I'd pump antifreeze throughout the water system. I have an external pump I got at Harbor Freight, and I'd just pump the antifreeze directly into the input water line and use the water pump to distribute it.
mcfflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 03:35 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

thank you

thanks for the info....I had a View and it was set up to winterize...this 22m I purchased last winter and it was already winterized...so this is my first go at this....sounds like I should blow it out...i have a small compressor.
wkfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 06:50 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I disconnect the line going into the pump, and replacing with a 90 degree elbow with a small piece of hose attached to it that i feed into the anti freeze bottles (I put the hose on after i screw the elbow on - its just a barbed connector that is tight enough on the hose that i do not need a hose clamp or anything for the small pumping). I did not have to take out the pump to attach the elbow.

my process -
1. drain all the lines, tanks, hot water heater, etc.
2. blow all the lines with compressed air
3. hook the pump up to the antifreeze and pump through all lines
4. open the bypass for a bit and let small amount of antifreeze pump into HW heater tank due to the lip that exists at the drain and the water that tends to sit in there at the bottom of the tank
5. I empty and blow all lines again to get the antifreeze out of the lines

I live in midwest and it gets extremely cold here.
trunk932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 09:01 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Thank for the info, like the elbow idea I use straight fitting and have to loosen pump to have room, when I drain my fresh water tank it shows 1/4 in yellow does yours? Can I ask why you blow antifreeze out. We are going to Texas in Jan,Feb, thanks again we are in Missouri
Old 11-07-2019, 11:32 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

22M Winterizing

I also have a 2019 22M Winnebago Spirit. Last week I got my Camco 36543 Pump Converter Winterizing Kit TRV874795 and had the same space problem when trying to install it. On mine the lines holding the pump are flexible, so I removed the 4 mounting screws from the pump. Then installed the brass valve along with the black adapter that connects the valve to the pump. Then moved the whole assembly to the right on the mounting board, marked and drilled 4 new holes and mounted it in the new spot. This allows everything to work okay.
millards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 05:04 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

That's a great idea, I'm looking into doing this to mine, I guess behind is clear of things you could drill into, lol if there is I would drill it, thanks again, does everything you need come in the kit? God bless.
Old 11-07-2019, 06:26 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

22M Winterization

On my 2019 model 22M my water pump is mounted on an metal panel with a winterization switch close to the bottom right of the panel. That switch would be below where you are mounting the water pump. You can reach down from the top of the metal panel and feel around before you drill. Mine has nothing in the way.
Old 11-07-2019, 06:26 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Yes everything you need is in the kit.
Old 11-07-2019, 06:31 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

I suppose I never looked at the tank level on the gauge after draining the tank but I will next time I run to check on it. I should have included a step 1a of that process: I run the pump with all valves open to remove any excess water from the tank until air is running through the valves.

As it relates to blowing the lines after running the antifreeze through - its something I have just always done and my dad used to do it. It seems to help get that "taste and smell" out of the water faster and it assists with not having to flush the lines through as much come Spring as the antifreeze isn't sitting in the lines all winter.
trunk932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 07:48 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Thanks guys
Old 11-17-2019, 11:37 PM   #14
Site Team

I just purchased the following to Winterize my Minnie Winnie 22M. As my shop compressor uses oil as a lubricant, and my hoses are contaminated with that oil residue, I purchased a new oil-free compressor and a new hose.
  1. BOSTITCH Pancake Air Compressor, Oil-Free, 6 Gallon
  2. Air Compressor Hose
  3. Blowout plug adapter
Here is the sequence I used:

Assured that the Black and Grey tanks are empty, and then close their valves.

Open the 45 gallon Fresh Water Tank Drain and leave it open.

Open up the pressurized system, which includes:
The 6 gallon Hot Water Plug
The 3 Winterizing Drains
The Hot & Cold of both sinks
The Hot & Cold of the shower, with the shower head lowered to the shower floor.
Pressed the toilet flush pedal.

Close all open valves and reinstall the Hot Water Plug with fresh Teflon tape.

Screw-in the Blowout plug to the City Water connection.

Plug into the Compressor, and set the regulator to about 30 psi

Open each valve, both hot & cold, one at a time, until the water is blown-out.
-- Don't forget the toilet flush pedal.
-- Don't forget the three winterizing drains.

Repeat until no more water comes out.

Remove the compressor and re-open all of the valves. I did not bother to re-open the hot water tank drain plug.

Add RV antifreeze to the sink and shower traps, and pour a little extra into one of the sinks so some gets into the grey water tank.
-- You only need add RV antifreeze to one of the kitchen sink drains, as they share the same trap.

Add RV antifreeze to the toilet, letting some wet the floor of the black tank, and leaving some to cover the flush ball valve.
Old 11-18-2019, 07:14 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Thank you eagle5, hope all is well your way.
Old 11-18-2019, 08:20 AM   #16
Site Team

Hi Kcscriv,
Everything is good except that I FORGOT one additional step that just occurred to me this morning:
  • Remove the Water Pump Filter and clean it, thus allowing the water to drain from the pump & feed lines.
Thanks, Eagle5
Old 11-20-2019, 05:40 PM   #17
Winnebago Owner

My 24M has a 3 way valve with a length of tubing laying in the compartment on the input line to the pump, By turning the valve with the tubing in the bottle of antifreeze then alternately turning on the faucets the lines fill with antifreeze.

I have twice forgotten to flush the toilet to allow the antifreeze to enter the toilet valves. I have just order my 3rd toilet pedestal assy, the temp dove to 6 degrees last week,
Shedboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter