Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-07-2016, 05:13 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

2015 Itasca 35B - slideout seal question

This is my first post, so I hope I'm posting in the right section!

We just bought a new 2015 Itasca 35b a few weeks ago, and we went to pick it up from our storage lot today. When I backed up, I heard water gushing toward the floor. Turns out, water had leaked in and was sitting on top of the bunk bed slideout. When I backed up, the water moved forward and onto the floor. I then leveled it out, slide out the slideout, and noticed that the horizontal seal across the top of the slideout had slid backwards in its track about 9 inches, leaving the front part of the slideout exposed. So, I slide it forward so that it's as centered as I can get it, but while I was up on the ladder I noticed that at each corder (where the horizontal seal meets the vertical seal, there is a small gap (about 1/2") where you can see inside the wall, and the horizontal seal's track seems to be curving down like it's caught behind the vertical seal track. I wonder if I need to pry out the track and re-seal it to the side of the RV?

I looked at the other slides, and almost every corner has a gap around 1/2", where it looks like a blowing rain could get in there. Is this normal? I realize the awning that covers the slide should protect that area, but only if it's raining straight down. I will post some pics shortly to help explain. I'm tempted to fill the gaps with black silicone. I'm just surprised that every top corner of each slide has that gap in some shape or another. Also, do I need to silicone the horizontal seal in place? No idea how it slid 9" toward the rear unless the slide was not in all the way and freeway speeds pushed it backwards.

Thanks for any help! We are supposed to hit the road on a 12 hour trip Saturday and I'd like to seal the holes if that sounds like a logical plan.
grizzwalds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 05:33 PM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

Here are the pics.

This first one is where the leak was. Notice the seal's track curves downward and is pealing away from the body, like it was caught behind the vertical seal's track. I'm guessing I need to pry it out and re-seal it. The horizontal seal in this photo was about 9" toward the back of the coach...not sure how it got that way, but I re-centered it as best as I could:

Here are other upper corners of the slideouts. They all seem to have some kind of gap / hole where the seals meet. Is this normal?

Old 01-07-2016, 06:39 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

grizzwalds, here are a couple of cad shots of what it is suppose to look like. I would put some sealer in the holes and gaps. What is the duct tape looking stuff in the first two pictures?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	side seal 1.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	128.9 KB
ID:	115953   Click image for larger version

Name:	side seal 2.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	115954  

grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 07:02 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

thank you for the drawings (where the heck did you find those?)!! that helps a lot! I can definitely tell the track was installed incorrectly at the end where it's in a bind. What looks like duct tape is just how the camera flash was reflecting on the metallic paint that covers their sealant / silicone / whatever. Everything is either rubber or painted finish in that photo (amazing how a flash can show every spec of dirt!). I just finished putting silicone into the gaps. I could not pry the horizontal seal's track out of the bind it's in without the risk of damaging it, so I'm going to have to take it to the dealer to have that fixed. For now, I just siliconed the crud out of it in hopes it won't leak while we are traveling!

any idea how the horizontal seal moved backwards 9" in the track? Could wind do that if the slide was not completely in all the way?

Thanks again!
Old 01-07-2016, 08:36 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

grizzwalds here is the link to the 3D parts catalog, click on parts catalog. There is also 2D wiring and plumbing drawings. Read the "Click here for Viewer Requirements, Recommendations, and Guidelines". The viewer is a little tricky to get to work.
Winnebago Industries
Always do a good two count after the slide comes in before releasing the switch. Yes the wind could have moved the seal if the slide was not all the way in.
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 07:35 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the web site Grant!...I am sure it will come in handy.coopcolt
coopcolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 01:16 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

2015 Itasca Suncruiser Vertical Slide Seal

Hi -
I read this with great interest because of a minor issue I'm having with my 2015 Suncruiser slide out seals. In my case the vertical seal - which appear to fit into a small track slip down whenever the slides are extended/retracted. On one of the outside seals, it has slide all the way out (looked kind of like snake laying there - freaked the dog out).

I have not had any issues with the horizontal seal.

I was thinking I would slide it back (it is quite easy) and put a small screw or drop of adhesive on the top to hold it in.

I was wonder what the "right way" is to fix this.

Thanks,
Jerald Pendleton
2015 Itasca Suncruiser 37F

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizzwalds View Post
This is my first post, so I hope I'm posting in the right section!

We just bought a new 2015 Itasca 35b a few weeks ago, and we went to pick it up from our storage lot today. When I backed up, I heard water gushing toward the floor. Turns out, water had leaked in and was sitting on top of the bunk bed slideout. When I backed up, the water moved forward and onto the floor. I then leveled it out, slide out the slideout, and noticed that the horizontal seal across the top of the slideout had slid backwards in its track about 9 inches, leaving the front part of the slideout exposed. So, I slide it forward so that it's as centered as I can get it, but while I was up on the ladder I noticed that at each corder (where the horizontal seal meets the vertical seal, there is a small gap (about 1/2") where you can see inside the wall, and the horizontal seal's track seems to be curving down like it's caught behind the vertical seal track. I wonder if I need to pry out the track and re-seal it to the side of the RV?

I looked at the other slides, and almost every corner has a gap around 1/2", where it looks like a blowing rain could get in there. Is this normal? I realize the awning that covers the slide should protect that area, but only if it's raining straight down. I will post some pics shortly to help explain. I'm tempted to fill the gaps with black silicone. I'm just surprised that every top corner of each slide has that gap in some shape or another. Also, do I need to silicone the horizontal seal in place? No idea how it slid 9" toward the rear unless the slide was not in all the way and freeway speeds pushed it backwards.

Thanks for any help! We are supposed to hit the road on a 12 hour trip Saturday and I'd like to seal the holes if that sounds like a logical plan.
jrpend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 02:09 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Also, before retracting the slides it doesn't hurt to jack up the front of the motorhome after rain. It will drain any water up there
motohomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 07:51 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

hi coopcolt,

That site that Grant gave you is Winnebagos home site and then you click on resources and then answer the questions and then click on parts catalog. It will only work if you are using Internet Explorer as your browser.
As for your questions about gasket(s) I would call Winnebago at their 800 Number and ask the techs about it as they are very knowledgeable and helpful. I use them all the time.
Good luck with your problem.

Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
itasca, seal, slide, slideout