Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-23-2015, 07:52 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

2013 Sunova with Schwintek slides

I'm looking at a 2013 Sunova 33C. It's in great condition and has low mileage but it has Schwintek slideouts. The coach was built in March, 2013, which I think is during the prime trouble time with the Schwintek slides. I've never operated a Schwintek slide before, so are there any telltale signs of problems that I should look for? The salesman wants me to take the coach for a test drive & I've read that some owners have reported a slapping noise coming from the slide room while driving.

While we were looking at another coach with a Schwintek slide on the dealer's lot, my wife noticed the main slide room seemed to be crooked. She mentioned it to the salesman & he blamed it on the person who extended the slide & said proper procedure hadn't been followed while extending the slide. He said the operator had extended the slide without running the engine or the generator and the battery voltage had been too low, which caused the slide to operate improperly. Does Schwintek and/or Winnebago recommend that the engine be running while extending the slides?
ceemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 08:13 PM   #2

yes first level with engine running and park brake engaged then hold finger on switch to extend slide and don't let go till slide stops and count to 3 then let go of switch the unit will stop and turn off .do same when bring slide in
spanuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 08:26 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Our 2012 Sunova 33c never gave us any trouble
lrose44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 10:58 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

No Slide Problems

My coach was built in June 2013 with three slides. One is 17 feet long, with the kitchen drawers, a 6 drawer clothes dresser, and the refer, stove. microwave, pantry, an outdoor entertainment center, etc. and is fairly heavy, I think.

All slides work flawlessly so far. My sympathies are with those with slide problems, but it is possible to get a biased viewpoint, as perhaps only those whose slides fail seem to report it here. And if your slides are working great, you don't so much write in about that...

Just a theory. I was very concerned about slides and jacks before I bought, but have no concerns now. I do run them out and hold the switch for the three-count after everything stops. And I never stop halfway in or out.

Good luck finding the right coach for you!
danhannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 01:02 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Personally, I would caution anyone who buys a motorhome with a Schwintek slide or Lippert leveling jacks. Schwintek and Lippert are the same company (or owned by the same company).

I used to have a 2007 Itasca Cambria which I used to take out every four to six weeks. It had one slide (non-schwintek) and it always worked properly. Pleased with Itasca, I sold the Cambia and bought a 2013 Itasca Sunstar 26HE. It also has one slide (Schwintek) and leveling jacks (Lippert). I have only had the motorhome for 1 1/2 years and have had hydraulic line issues with the leveling jacks and a recent issue with the slide not functioning properly. The motorhome is currently at the dealership now. They are replacing all four return lines on the levelers and ordered $1,800 in parts for slide. One of the hydraulic lines had been previously replaced. Luckily, I have an extended warranty and I am only out the deductible.

Again, I use the word "caution". Just something to consider or keep in mind if you decide to buy the motorhome.

Good luck
Rossi6998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 07:00 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

We have three of the Schwintek slides. I had one problem but that was do to Winnebago chafing a wire to a motor. Other than that they have been trouble free. I do operate them as per the tech manual, engine running and opening them fully with the unit level on jacks. On mine you can see the rollers where the slides contact the floor and made sure all were making contact. I also make sure the floor in and around the slides where the rollers ride are kept clean. But to me this is just good practice.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
HerbZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 08:00 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Mike and Judy,
It is good that you are informed of the Swinteck's growing pains. If you have inklings towards purchasing one of the 2 coaches from that dealer, go back unannounced and see if the dealer has done any thing to the coach with the crooked slide. Ask if you can operate the slides and the jacks yourself. Cycle them completely 2-3 times. Check that the jacks fully extend and that the slides fully extend and retract. If all works well, you could proceed, to road tests. I would want a dealer paid extended warranty that covers the slides and jacks as well. As many have posted no problems, you have to proceed with caution. You could also look back a year or two for coaches that have different slide mechanisms. Be careful of dealers who sell coaches with known defects, in hopes of having the new owner pay for the repair after the sale.
Good Luck
ghutch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide