Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-01-2018, 07:54 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

2012 Tour 42QD gauge cluster problem

Like to know if anyone with the listed coach has any problems with a gauge cluster leaking air from one of the pressure gauges. Mine has developed a hair line crack in the housing and do not understand how this could occur. The gauge is over $600 bucks to replace. Any suggestions?
slp5345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 08:11 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

No experience with that type item but I do work on things that might be somewhat the same and I might throw in a really lowball idea for you to consider. Not necessarily recommended but a way to get by, perhaps?
I am involved in shipboard repairs at times and they have some of the same problems as RV. Lots of full time stress on things that a stationary unit don't have and that can make plastic develop stress cracks where things attach, even with the best tie downs and design. We have a saying about stuff happens?
So some of it is not practical to replace right then due to no parts, etc. and we make due until we can do better.
So some thoughts on how vital, how practical, and how important the item may be will lead you to a better decision. Is a low ball and maybe temporary fix, a practical idea or just not at all good, so that the $600 is a better move? Is the $600 for the part of 200 and $400 for labor to take it all apart again?
There are some wonderful sealers and some plastic can be melted back together. You know the loud mouth ads for "Flex-Seal" products? There are times when it is worth the try. If it is a less critical part, time important, and low labor cost, I might give it a shot to seal the old unit.
Decisions, Decisions? The work is easy but the decisions can kill you.
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 06:29 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

The part from frieghtliner is actually over 700 bucks. I did attempt to seal the crack but to no success. Its actually a simple process to replace, I am able to do the work myself so the answer the price does not include labor. Thanks for responding.
slp5345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 08:51 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Trouble and expense seem to just be part of what we buy into on RV.
I have not tried the Flex-seal idea yet but then I know it's going to come up for some weird item that can't be sealed any other way. I did have a pump with a plastic housing crack and we were able to melt the plastic and "reshape" it enough to make it work for long enough but a tape that would actually seal and stay would be great!
I'm hoping to talk somebody else into trying it and telling me if it worked. That way I'm not out the money on a pile of junk that I bought due to falling for an ad???
Not you, not this time?
Morich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 10:44 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by slp5345 View Post
Like to know if anyone with the listed coach has any problems with a gauge cluster leaking air from one of the pressure gauges. Mine has developed a hair line crack in the housing and do not understand how this could occur. The gauge is over $600 bucks to replace. Any suggestions?
Do you suppose you might find the gauge at an RV salvage yard? I know some people have success going that route for parts. Good luck.
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 05:43 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Gauge replacement

Had the exact same problem with mine about two years ago. Yes, I tried the epoxy sealant too but no luck. Googled the FL part number and was led to a FL dealer in the Midwest, darned if I can remember the name, but a new factory sealed gauge cluster was in the $350 range. Was nervous at first but it was a genuine FL part in original box and the dealership was excellent to deal with. Good Luck!
bertman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 07:04 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
In 2010 we had ours replaced at Gaffney. The service man said it was a common problem. Maybe from overtightening the line on the back of the gauge. Of course, it surely couldn't be the plastic housing was designed to weak. Ours was done under warranty. I wonder if it is a known problem, they might extend the warranty? Sounds as if you may have had it out and accessible. If you can determine exactly what type plastic it is made of, You might try what was successful for us on another broken plastic air conditioner drain pan. Our tractor dealer wanted around 1800.00 for our drain pan. We purchased a plastic weld kit from Harbor Freight for around 30.00 and repaired our pan with it. It was pretty easy and I think stronger when we finished, than when new.
ns09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 06:07 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

RV salvage yards

Quote:
I just did a web search and found a few places:
https://colawrvsalvage.com/
https://www.azrvsalvage.com/
https://usedrvparts.visonerv.com/cgi...-partingout.pl
One of these may be able to help you out.
Old 12-10-2018, 11:34 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Sam

I would call Freightliner. I had mine replaced under warranty. They can advise you on the best course of action, possibility of refurbished parts, etc

good luck

Sam
SamFye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 12:25 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

I did the same, and it worked great. Pretty easy to install.
Habit 7 is offline   Reply With Quote