Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2013, 06:17 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

2012 Meridian 42E Roof Air

I can't figure these things out. We are hooked up to 50 amp service. If I try to run all 3 units on cool/auto, they will run for a few seconds and quit. A msg comes up saying no service. Then a minute or two later, the power comes back on. Right now, I have Zone 2 and 3 running just fine.
I'm sure there is a fix/solution but right now I'm stuck!
Old 07-24-2013, 06:24 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Check for a loose wire at the breakers. It sounds like a loose electrical connection.

Might want to give Winny a call and ask them where to check.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
PDR John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 07:36 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

I would check your line voltage levels when you have all 3 on line.

I'm not sure if your transfer switch has under voltage protection.
Old 07-25-2013, 06:54 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

transfer switch does have low voltage protection
fla tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 07:21 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Check your shore power plug to see if it is warm to the touch. A bad service outlet (soft contacts) will cause a voltage drop. The heat can be so great that your plug will show signs of melting and burning.

The plug contacts will become tarnished over time. I clean mine with fine sandpaper or emery cloth and then apply a thin coat of electrical grease as sold in the electrical department of Lowe's or HD. I make certain that the excess is wiped off. The small amount of lubricant left on the plug will lubricate the receptacle contacts also.
Old 07-26-2013, 09:45 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Problem solved. Nothing to do with the RV. Line 2 incoming was 111 volts and 0 amps. So everything was trying to run off 12 amps on line 1. Didn't work!
So lesson learned for me. I'm glad I have a smart RV
Old 07-26-2013, 01:41 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Disregard my last post. The electrician said the load was probably too much for the Park electrical when everyone has the A/C's running. So i give up!
Old 07-27-2013, 09:39 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

It is true that some parks have underrated power. I have a autotransformer on my rig to help compensate for low voltage situations. It does help. Hughes is no longer making them but I know there are other choices still available. But as I stated previously, keep your shore power cord plug clean and lubricated. I carry spare 50A and 30A receptacle with me. Of course the majority of the parks I stay at are provided by the camp I am volunteering at. So, in many cases, we are the 'maintenance crew'.
Old 07-27-2013, 10:09 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

The final verdict is in. The 50 amp service was installed last Jan or Feb. The contractor used aluminum wire apparently to save money. It's about 300' from the panel box to my site. The distance and not using copper or the right size wire has caused a voltage/amperage drop. When the 4 guys in front of me are using their A/C's, my system shows 111 volts or less.
At least it's not a problem with my rig
Old 07-28-2013, 05:56 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Could be! That is brownout voltage. That is when my autotransformer really helps. It is interesting how many 'certified electricians' I have run into over the years don't understand this simple concept. Longer wire, more resistance. Aluminum must be oversized ALWAYS.

At 300' the AWG size is #1 for AL and #2 for CU. That is just for one 50A load. What is the actual load potential of the run you are on?

Yes. You are correct.
Old 07-28-2013, 03:18 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

6 rigs on that run so it's overload big time. I did get up to 118 volts on one leg yesterday----big deal!
Old 07-29-2013, 05:24 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

Finhawk it might be time to move! Have you approached the park about the problem? Is the park a old 'well established' one? I am always a bit leary of 'well used' older parks. Too often the pedestal is beyond it's useful life and overdue for refitting and upgrading.
Old 07-29-2013, 06:34 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
Finhawk it might be time to move! Have you approached the park about the problem? Is the park a old 'well established' one? I am always a bit leary of 'well used' older parks. Too often the pedestal is beyond it's useful life and overdue for refitting and upgrading.
It's a Washington National Guard Park The service was installed new with new boxes and the works last Jan/Feb by a contractor who apparently cut corners and got away with it.
Otherwise it's a great Park.
Old 07-30-2013, 04:05 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

Again, our tax dollars at work. My advice is still... time to move. Is there a loop with fewer rigs you can set on?

We hope to be in WA next summer. Our son has RV parking for us in Woodenville. Beautiful area. Good power. We installed it!
Old 07-31-2013, 09:48 PM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finhawk View Post
Disregard my last post. The electrician said the load was probably too much for the Park electrical when everyone has the A/C's running. So i give up!
I would try running all 3 units with the generator and if the run ok then the park's power is under 50 amps, does this sounds rigth?
Fvielledent is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof