Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-21-2012, 08:20 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

2011 42AD rain gutter question

We are really enjoying our 2011 42AD Ellipse but I have a question about its poorly designed gutter termination at the front of the coach. They end above each front wheel and when it rains the water runs right down the side and onto the newly polished wheels. I've looked at the extenders but they don't seem fit at all with the gutter.

Any solutions for this problem??

Thanks!
loonie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 12:10 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Pack a whole bunch of sealant at the front gutter termination and make the water drain out the back? Just thinking out loud . . .
f14av8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 12:55 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

I have noticed the same problem on ours.....I had a couple of gutter extensions left over from our 5th wheel but as you have found, they don't fit
Old 04-24-2012, 01:00 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by f14av8r View Post
Pack a whole bunch of sealant at the front gutter termination and make the water drain out the back? Just thinking out loud . . .

I never thought of that...thanks! BTW, another cheap and easy fix is to put clothes line clips at the ends...water will trail off the ends.

On the other hand, by seeing what a nice coach you have, it would probably make sense to paint-to-match some gutter termination spouts.
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:06 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the responses. My wife's idea is to cover the wheels and to tell you the truth that seems the simplest. Its one of those problems that wouldn't be all that bad if the end of the gutter wasn't right where you see the dribbles every time you walk in the door. Seeing roof junk drain down the side of that nice paint is irritating!
loonie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 12:09 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I have a 2010 Tour 42AD and I put the gutter extenders on and they work just fine. There are different kinds available I think I bought mine at campers world and with a little persuasion they went on just fine. I'll try and post a picture when I get home.
Tpflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 04:04 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Seriously though, I've used gutter extenders and they really don't help all that much. If there is ANY wind at all the runoff still ends up down the side of the coach. I'll admit they help with condensation runoff on those quiet, peaceful mornings but they don't cut the mustard for rain.

So, we need a better solution. There is a reason why the downspouts on your house run all the way to the ground. Why can't we have a similar system for our coaches?

As an aside, I notice that several manufacturers now use condensate pumps to move the water created by the roof-top air conditioners to ground level. So, they understand the need but still haven't arrived at a solution for rain water.
f14av8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 04:14 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I'm wondering if these are awning rails or gutters.