Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-15-2010, 07:17 PM   #41
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBK394 View Post
Not surprising that this tread is getting so much activity. I have purchased 3 new Winnebagos. While I am not dissatisfied, I have had some dismaying moments dealing with things that I thought should never have gotten out the door. I now have 47,000 miles on my 07 Vectra. While I have had a lot of fun, I feel that I just now have our rig the way we want it and operating at peak performance in all systems. But, bringing it up to and keeping at a high performance level is turning out to be my hobby. What I think I have finally learned is that my next purchase will be a higher milage used one. I know that this opens up a whole set of new problems, e.g. has it been maintained as it should even if there is a maintenance log. But, aside from the running gear which should stand up for a long time, I think I can deal with most other items. My whole point is that even with the milage on my coach, I know that the next person will be getting at least as good and maybe even a more trouble free coach than I purchased when new. I know there will be many opinions on my obversation, but just my opinion.

By the way, brand new to the forum as a poster. But, I have been reading and searching posts ever since I learned about it two years ago. It has helped me with my "hobby".
Welcome to the forum. I think many of us have accepted that owning a motorhome involves tweaking and fixing.....not unlike my stick house. We looked at new rigs but decided to buy gently used for the reasons you mention.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 09:02 PM   #42
Winnebago Watcher

This kind of info is exactly what makes this forum so useful. Seeing a negative comment or review for a manufacturer won't necessarily deter me from buying their product, but it must be taken into context with other reviews, other comments, etc. If I had bought a product with those kinds of problems, I certainly use a megaphone to share my experience with others. Again, that's what makes this forum useful.
classact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 06:44 PM   #43
Winnebago Watcher

I'm brand new here...first post. We own a 2001 Adventurer 32V. Before that an old Class C Mallard, then a '99 Class C Safari, the one with the huge and beautiful bathroom. Bought it from Bates in Tampa...(world's worst RV dealer award holder, several years running). The Safari had lots of issues, leaks, road stability, plumbing problems, and this was before Monaco took them over. The dealer would do absolutely nothing, but at the time Safari had the best service center, with the most courteous people, located in Brandon, and they fixed everything while we waited. During the Mallard and Safari years, I learned a good deal about RV systems and do most of our own maintenance. A gas coach is pretty easy compared to a more complicated deisel...for the DIY'er that is.

We bought the Winnebago in late 2000 and it had a few issues, all of which we had fixed by taking it directly to the factory during their annual rally. After lots of research, we decided the Winn brand was the best quality, with the most features we could get in our price range. I look at Winnebago as being one of the pioneers, an industry leader, a manufacturer that is very careful not to introduce new, unproven items or systems, also I have noticed they use top of the line component subcontractors like the HWH hydraulics, etc. We are extremely hapy with our 2001, Ford F53, gas unit. I did add the big, red steering stabilizer to help with side winds.

Each year for fun, when we visit Florida, we spend a day browsing the lot at LazyDays, just to see what is new out there, and to look over the used line-up to see how they wore over the years. One can tell by the lack of inventory this year that the economy has affected everyone.

After entering nearly every unit that interested us in our 8 hour" busybody" tour, we just couldn't fall in love with any unit that gave us a reason to trade ours. Then after talking to several newer model Winn owners, from '08 to present, we knocked on wood that ours has performed so well. We heard horror stories about radiators, fan clutches, TV's that fell out of the wall, major plumbing and electrical issues, cabinets and fittings that were left loose, assemblies that appeared to be partially completed, tire wear issues, driveshaft vibration, etc. Truthfully, most of the problems seemed to be related to the Workhorse and 8.1 liter GM combination.And most folks were happy with their local dealers when fixing things.

We weren't so lucky with our local dealer in Madison, WI...they refused to let us in because we did not buy the unit from them. They are now out of business, and we did not shed a tear. Winn told us to bring our rig to them and they would get-r-done.

I look to Winnebago to fix everything to most owner's satisfaction, eventually...but it must be a pain for these new owners when they have to fix things themselves, or worse yet wait for a long time to get some satisfaction. It can feel real lonely when your "home on wheels" is sick.

Too bad these ailing manufacturers can't keep the quality up to their original standards while waiting for things to improve. As a small business owner for almost fourty years, I can feel for them, but it is the poor customer who really suffers.

Maybe it's just not a good time to buy a new expensive motorhome. We have 45,000 miles on ours, it has been well maintained, and stored inside. It really needs nothing except some help in converting our TVs to digital signal, but that is another topic. I think when the time comes, we plan to re-floor ours, re-caulk, re-tire, etc.Thank goodness ours must have been built in a good era. After working out the original bugs, we have enjoyed many worry-free miles.
beaunaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 10:21 AM   #44
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by archtop1 View Post
Being on the road i decided i had to do something to get us home so I took the floor up from under the sink and found the drain had not been connected and all our dish water has poured under the buffet.
We had the exact same thing happen to our 2009 Itasca Suncruiser. The dealership repaired it and said the drain pipe had not been glued to the grey tank! Now, how do you not glue the pipe to the tank during assembly! We must have had the same technician on the assembly line!
Gotta_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 02:04 PM   #45
Winnie-Wise

Not a new one!

This is our 3rd Winnebago, but each one had a former owner. Each one was also in the 7K to 8K mile range. We won't buy a new one because we want some of the bugs fixed by the first owner. We also don't want to take a big $$$ hit as we drive it off the dealer's lot. It's a shame that everyone has to take a shake-down trip and make a list of everything that doesn't work. Don't they at least try each system after the coach is built? Apparently not! Joe
Old 03-28-2010, 04:06 PM   #46
Winnebago Camper

2010 Itasca Ellipse

I too have had problems in our 2010 Itasca Ellipse. Spent 3 weeks at Lazy Days working on our "puch list" (1 week on parts). A couple of these were water related and are the list of things the local dealer is trying to fix. I discoevered these items on our first trip from home to the Texas beaches in Galveston and Corpus Cristi.

After reading the other posts here and the number and types of water related issues (sinks, drains, hoses, etc) I too wonder about the assembly line process. I wonder about labor issues. About 80% of my punch list / problems have been water related. AND I really hate that. Water leaking can really destroy a motor home. I have talked to the Winne regional rep. If the local dealer cant fix the problems (under warrenty) or I discover more water related issues we're going to have a heart to hear to talk kind of like my did and I had years ago...
philbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 05:00 PM   #47
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by azloafer View Post
This is our 3rd Winnebago, but each one had a former owner. Each one was also in the 7K to 8K mile range. We won't buy a new one because we want some of the bugs fixed by the first owner. We also don't want to take a big $$$ hit as we drive it off the dealer's lot. It's a shame that everyone has to take a shake-down trip and make a list of everything that doesn't work. Don't they at least try each system after the coach is built? Apparently not! Joe
My washer/dryer leaked in two different places the first time we used it when the coach was new. Knew it was built in the winter time but undoubtedly Winnebago didn't winterize the washer after testing it during initial installation. Someone in quality control must not pay any attention to the very final end, just let the dealer handle any problems the customer can find and the rest will just go on by unnoticed.
Real good business tactics, surprised more coach builders haven't failed by now but guess us dumb purchasers have more money than we know what to do with so will buy anything on wheels. At least top management must think so.

Wagonmaster2
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 06:04 PM   #48
Winnebago Camper

So I am looking at buying a Winnebago (on order) so very interested in this.

I guess I am a bit torn here. There is absolutely no excuse for Winnebago to just let products out to the customers if they haven't been properly built and inspected.

NOW on the other hand every kind of larger project like a house etc has an inspection process. I guess I don't understand the "didn't have time to do it". What other item are you spending $60-100K for that you don't have time to inspect before you take it.....

I just got my last punch list item fixed for my house.......after living there for about 2 years. They tried fixing it three times but looks like they got it now. It was noted since day one.

So some issues are expected. Also remember some issues are not related to the manufacturer as they put 3rd party products into theirs.

Not making an excuse for not connecting pipes -- I am just saying that it is a 3 party transaction and the fault lies a little bit with all three parties. If every new owner took their unit through a huge inspection do you think the dealer would do a better job upfront? YES - do you think the dealer has a better way to communicate with the manufacturer so that maybe they would start building a better product - YES

Now somebody mentioned something else that does piss me off. This whole business about Winnebago dealer not treating customers the same just because they didn't buy the unit there. That ticks me off. It did take part in why I didn't fly down to lower 48 to buy a unit. IF I had and had been treated differently at the dealer you bet you that it would have been a lawsuit.

I am very much against the lawsuits in this country as they are ruining society, but this is not arguable as frivolous. This is consumer protection and under the Uniform Commercial Code there is implied and expressed warranty. That Warranty should not in anyway be used preferentially against some customers. Winnebago should do a better job enforcing this. I suspect that they don't want to since price wars don't help their bottom line....
mikeak is offline   Reply With Quote