Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2011, 07:33 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

2010 Winnebago journey (New) Roof Issue

Just wanted to post this, Bought my 2010 Winnebago Journey 40L 1 month ago, going over it I found were the roof meets the front end cap, it appears the seal is comming apart, this really disturbs me, I love the Coach, but as everyone knows water leaks are the kiss of death for a coach, and this is brand new.. it was on the lot for 365 day waiting for a new home, still had the plastic in it...

I've attached photo's of the condition, any thoughts on the issue ?

Thanks for your help in advacne ...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	journey 002.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	221.8 KB
ID:	10149   Click image for larger version

Name:	journey 003.jpg
Views:	320
Size:	220.9 KB
ID:	10150  

tonyg01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 02:21 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

From the photos, it is hard to tell if you have separation and cracks, or just a sloppy caulking job. In my opinion, if there are no cracks or separations, it may not look the greatest, but it won't leak. If there are gaps where water can penetrate, it will be under warranty, and your dealer should fix it.

This joint is designed to move slightly, and uses a special 3M caulking compound. Although it is on the annual maintenance/inspection list, they do hold for a long time, assuming a good caulking job to begin with.

I redid one on my 2003 Horizon, the joint looked orginal, and the coach was 4 years old at the time. I cleaned out the loose caulking, cleaned the joint throughly, and applied new caulking, took me, an old guy, working slowly, about two hours. Not that difficult, I'm just particular. Most of the joint was fairly tight, but on one side, there was actually about 1/2" gap between the front cap and the roof sheet. I just cleaned it out throughly, and filled with caulking. The caulking acts as an adhesive and filler, cures to be very similar to the rubber you might see on the sole of a thick white tennis shoe. After I was done, I had no doubts it would last. Even parking with the front of the coach down hill a bit, and the Seattle rains, there was no leaking.

I have read some people use eternabond tape with good results, but the caulking is much cheaper. I would also check the side edges of the roof where it tucks into the drip rail. All should be completely caulked with no separation.

2010 Journey 39n - 2010 Jeep Wrangler - just waiting to really hit the road big time
Journey39n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 04:38 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the reply. This appears to be a seam that's bonded if you click on the photo you can Zoom in on the area. It just bothers me it's a new coach with this issue caulking is and option but again it's NEW
I would be more understanding if it was 5 years old or more. I'm sure the remedy will be caulking .

Just wanted to see if anyone else had the same issues, like many on these forums I've scraped and saved just so that I could buy new not to have these issues

TonyG
Old 05-10-2011, 05:39 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Since your coach is new and under warranty, probably best to have the dealer re-do the job. Or, if you might be traveling in or near Iowa, a trip to the factory in Forest City will certainly get it fixed correctly.

I have long since switched to Eternabond tape for any repair/re-do on the roof. It is an easy and permanent fix. I taped that seam on my '02 several years ago and it still looks like new. Had to replace one of the roof vents and used the tape on that....never have to recaulk it.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 05:43 AM   #5
GG1
Winnie-Wise

If that is the only issue you have on a new coach you are very fortunate. Go for the eternabond and be done with it!
Old 05-10-2011, 10:29 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

I appear to be having a similar issue with the same seam. My coach is considerably older and I develop a slight leak it the cabinet above and to the left of the drivers seat. This only occurs in a blowing rain. I am considering going the eternabond route but can't make up my mind on the type and/or with of the tape. To accomplish this I may have to redo the caulk on my air horns. Maybe someone here can help us both.
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 05:06 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
It just bothers me it's a new coach with this issue
It is new to YOU, but as you said, it sat on the dealer's lot for 365 days. The roof caulk needs to be checked/R&R'ed I believe twice yearly for the roof warranty. This is a dealer warranty item for your coach at this point.

I check my roof caulk (especially side seams) once a year, and most of the time there are places that require some minor repair. The roof to side seam is the most frequent in need, followed by the corner cove/curves. My seams across the top on front and rear cap are still original though the front has had some minor repair/recaulking done.

I did have a significant leak at apx 4 yr at the front cap corner over the driver seat. It pulled clear apart before I noticed it. I cleaned it all up and recaulked it ...that was 4 yr ago now and it is still in great shape.
Old 05-10-2011, 07:59 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

AFChap, Just curious what caulking you use for your roof seams.

Thanks, Sammie
USAF !966-!970
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 01:31 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Hi Sammy,
I'm not sure about AFChap, but on my 2003 Horizon, I used 3M marine adhesive/sealant 4200 fast cure. It cures in 24 hours.

Shop 3M: Marine Adhesives, Sealants & Fasteners

I believe there was also another part number that was a 7 day cure. I seem to remember getting that product number from a winnebago post. I think I got it at Home Depot, but can't remember, it was three years ago.
USAF 71-75 & 80-84
Old 05-11-2011, 06:55 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Our new one did the same thing. But the caulk didn't split it just lost it's bond to the fiberglass cap and roof. I blamed it on poor prep at the factory before the caulk was applied. Sort of like the unit had dust on the area when they applied the caulk. Eternabond it the way to go. If your close to your dealer and your still under warranty you might take it in. For me we were under warranty but an hours drive to the dealer so I just removed the old caulk cleaned the surface and applied new caulk. That was over a year ago and the caulk is still good. If mine opens again I will put Eternabond on the joint.
zippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 12:11 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Different areas require different caulk, according to Winnebago specs. They gave me a tube of what they used on the roof to side seams at the factory once, basically thermoplastic rubber made in Canada. I've found a couple of Geocel products with very similar formula, one labeled ProFlexRV and one Geocel construction sealant. I've used the ProflexRV on the roof cove to cap areas, and that's what the last Winnie dealer who did my roof side seams used. I can't deal with the side seams myself due to finger & thumb pain. I used a cheap self-leveling caulk from an rv store on the roof to cap seam but am not impressed with it less than a year later.

My big violation of all the rules was using black silicone caulk to fill the gap and seal up the leak we had on the driver side roof cove to front cap. I used what I had to stop the leak before the next rain. My "temporary" repair has been inspected by the factory, and is still in great shape almost 4 years later...

I WOULD like to know what sealant Winnebago used on my roof to cap seams, and around the antennas ... It is still pliable, stuck good, and looks great after 9 years !!!
Old 05-11-2011, 04:51 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Thanks Guys!

Sammie
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 04:58 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFChap View Post
Different areas require different caulk, according to Winnebago specs. They gave me a tube of what they used on the roof to side seams at the factory once, basically thermoplastic rubber made in Canada. I've found a couple of Geocel products with very similar formula, one labeled ProFlexRV and one Geocel construction sealant. I've used the ProflexRV on the roof cove to cap areas, and that's what the last Winnie dealer who did my roof side seams used. I can't deal with the side seams myself due to finger & thumb pain. I used a cheap self-leveling caulk from an rv store on the roof to cap seam but am not impressed with it less than a year later.

My big violation of all the rules was using black silicone caulk to fill the gap and seal up the leak we had on the driver side roof cove to front cap. I used what I had to stop the leak before the next rain. My "temporary" repair has been inspected by the factory, and is still in great shape almost 4 years later...

I WOULD like to know what sealant Winnebago used on my roof to cap seams, and around the antennas ... It is still pliable, stuck good, and looks great after 9 years !!!
Paul,

That is probably Dicor self levelling sealant. It is good stuff.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 05:19 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
Since your coach is new and under warranty, probably best to have the dealer re-do the job. Or, if you might be traveling in or near Iowa, a trip to the factory in Forest City will certainly get it fixed correctly.

I have long since switched to Eternabond tape for any repair/re-do on the roof. It is an easy and permanent fix. I taped that seam on my '02 several years ago and it still looks like new. Had to replace one of the roof vents and used the tape on that....never have to recaulk it.

Eternabond is the way to go.
Tim&Paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 06:01 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

To OP tonygo1: You have a warranty issue here with Winnebago and your dealer. Do not use eternabond tape on this repair yourself as you may void any warranty claim you might make to Winnebago. According to your post you have only owned your coach for 1 month.

It's under warranty. Go back to your dealer, or if you can, go to Forest City, IA to the Winnebago factory and have it repaired. But do not delay, as it looks in the pics as if you may have a water infiltration problem.

As folks have said above, roof seams should be checked 2X/year. Once out of warranty, use what ever you like, eternabond tape, or caulk. But WAIT until your warranty period is over to use a non-recomended product from Winnebago.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 06:20 PM   #16
Winnebago Camper

That would bug the heck out of me every day.............take it back to the dealer or winni and have them make it right. You spent way too much money not to feel good about your coach.
Old 05-11-2011, 07:57 PM   #17
Winnebago Camper

once again , thanks for your great response's. I have taken the coach to my Dealer. I had a list of 20 "resonable" items that needed to be repaired including the roof, they informed me yesterday they are in touch with Winnebago over the roof. The roof to cap seal is a "bonded seal", and not caulk, and the failure has been seen before, looks like caulk is the fix.
Since the roof has a warranty from the manufacture, Im being told by the dealer they will have to use what the factory recommends to make the correction. I ask that the entire seam be done, as opposed to just the section, to make the area look uniform, and cover/or prevent future issues..

Thanks once again for all the great responses, I will keep you posted...