Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2007, 09:40 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

I was impressed with the new 32' Voyage with its longer wheelbase (220") and larger chassis options. I felt finally someone at Winnebago was taking notice that some of us want smaller not larger. Then the new Diesel lineup came out. We were very disappointed that not only did Winnebago not bring out a smaller diesel but eliminated everything under 37 feet.

Others have expressed this same concern and I just wish someone at Winnebago would give us their reasoning on this.

That's my 2 Cents!!
bellsharbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 09:40 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I was impressed with the new 32' Voyage with its longer wheelbase (220") and larger chassis options. I felt finally someone at Winnebago was taking notice that some of us want smaller not larger. Then the new Diesel lineup came out. We were very disappointed that not only did Winnebago not bring out a smaller diesel but eliminated everything under 37 feet.

Others have expressed this same concern and I just wish someone at Winnebago would give us their reasoning on this.

That's my 2 Cents!!
bellsharbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 12:14 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Undoubtedly the dropped it because it didn't sell.

One issue that surfaces with very short diesel pushers is driveability and stability. A rear engined coach needs a given amount of room in the back for the engine, transmission, a short driveshaft, and eventually the rear axle. This fixed length needs to be offset with some part of the coach forward of the rear axle. If it's perfectly balanced it's a teeter totter and you do wheelies when you hit the foot feed and slam the nose back down when you hit the brakes. Okaty, so maybe that is an extreme example but it does serve to illustrate the issues that affect 32' DPs. You may wind up with a 190" wheelbase on that coach and you'll find that there is very little weight on the front axle and it darts around all over the road. Granted, this is a generalization and there's always exceptions in a few coaches but the vast majority of short DPs just aren't pursued because the ride of a longer wheelbase coach is much more desireable by those looking to buy a DP. That's one of the reasons why the FRED chassis is fairly popular in the shorter wheelbase coaches. You get the benefits of a DP with a shorter chassis and cheaper price tag. It's not at the same level of a DP, but then it's not priced in that league either.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 02:44 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

I sure would like to see the sales data from Winnie for the last 5 years on DP's by length. I do not have this data, but it seems to me there are more forum members here with 34' and 36' Journeys than 39'.

There are a lot of us who prefer the shorter coaches but also prefer the benefits of the DP.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 06:54 PM   #5

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">There are a lot of us who prefer the shorter coaches but also prefer the benefits of the DP. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

And maybe it's just me, but why do MH's have to have so many slide-outs? My first MH didn't even have a slide, then it went to one slide, then two and our current one has three. Do I need a MH with four? Not me, but looking at the nicer models (that I can't afford anyway!) it seems that most of them now have four slide-outs. Sure, I understand that's where the market has gone, but it sure seems that others don't want so many slides too. Ah, right?? Oh, man... I'm wrong again?!
Richard 34A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 10:23 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Took a good look at a Voyage 32H at our dealer. Love the length and some of the features of the floorplan. Don't like the cheap basement compartments, but I do like how open they are. Don't like the half upper cabinets all along the full wall slide, not much storage up there. Don't like the price. $140 MSRP. Almost $30K more than our '04 Adventurer. Features almost match, but even then, a 30% increase in 4 years? Other manufacturers haven't gone up that much. Newmar's line seems cheaper where it was a lot more a few years ago.

Still waiting for a Voyage with bunks...

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 02:24 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Send a message via Yahoo to vicsryd
My local dealer is not happy about the lack of anything &lt; 37' for a DP from Winnie. He says he sold a lot of 34H's to "campers" coming up-scale. Also, he would sell 2-3 a year to dog breeder/dog show types. Apparently the 34H with the lounge chair option is perfect for stacking kennels when the chair is removed.

Country Coach still makes a 34 foot Inspire 360.

vicsryd is offline   Reply With Quote