Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2017, 02:11 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

2008 Destination MH Blinds

The blinds in my 08 Destination MH are being damaged by the strings per the attached picture. Winne parts says the blinds are no longer available and they don't know who manufactured them.

There is a plastic strip under the metal and the strings have "sawed" thru the plastic. I "fixed" one of the blinds by reinforcing the plastic strip but would like a better solution if possible.

Anyone else with this problem, if so how did you fix them? The only suggestion Winne parts has is to replace the blinds with MCD shade or blinds for homes.

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 08:09 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I recently had to restring two of my day/night shades. I contacted the folks at Fix My Blinds and they were very helpful in getting the job done. The really seem to know their business and may have some suggestions for your problem.

www.fixmyblinds.com

Good luck!
Old 06-02-2017, 09:39 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

I find lots of info on day/night blind repair but nothing so far on night only blinds. I will contact fix my blinds to see if they have any suggestions.

Old 06-03-2017, 11:43 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I repaired a couple of the Day/Night blinds on the Adventurer when we picked it up last week. Had to disassemble and restring them from top to bottom. My blinds had a small round hard plastic bushing where the string penetrated the plastic middle and bottom dividers. All of my bushings were in good shape so I didn't replace any. The kit I bought for the repair had plenty of extra bushings and string and parts in it. The instructions said to inspect the bushings closely and make sure they were not grooved or missing.

Not sure if this helps but it's worth a shot.

This image shows what the bushings look like in the lower right corner.

http://www.liveworkdream.com/wp-cont...efirstaid2.jpg
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 02:30 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

The strings sawed thru the bushings and the thru the plastic strip that is inside the metal parts. The plastic strip needs to replaced and reinforced so the string won't just saw thru again. I cut some small pieces of aluminum and super glued it to the plastic for reinforcement and repair on one blind. I am going to see how that works for now.

Old 06-03-2017, 03:01 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO Pilot View Post
The strings sawed thru the bushings and the thru the plastic strip that is inside the metal parts. The plastic strip needs to replaced and reinforced so the string won't just saw thru again. I cut some small pieces of aluminum and super glued it to the plastic for reinforcement and repair on one blind. I am going to see how that works for now.
Roger that. I had a feeling it might be that the strings sawed through the bushings based on the repair instructions I read in the repair kit.

You probably already thought of this when you made your aluminum bushings but the hard plastic bushings are chamfered on the top and bottom of the bushing so as not to prematurely wear the cord out. The cords are under quite a bit of tension and a sharp edge on the bushing could wear the cord out quickly.

Good luck.
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 03:13 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

I used plastic bushings and used the aluminum to repair the plastic strip that was sawed by the string. I rounded the edge of the aluminum so if the line cuts thru the bushing again it won't hit a sharp edge. I should have taken some pictures of the repair.

Old 06-09-2017, 09:41 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Here is a picture of the damage done by the string:

Here is a picture of the temporary repair I fabricated.

Hopefully I can find the manufacturer if my temp fix doesn't last.

Old 06-09-2017, 10:26 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

The Dirty Blind Man kit includes all that is needed, string, bushings, etc. Have you checked with him at www.DirtyBlindMan.info ? Parts Pack is available.
Jerry J is offline   Reply With Quote