Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-22-2017, 06:57 AM   #1

2003 Cummins ISC-350HP "CAPS" FUEL PUMP FAILURE (Fault Codes 277, 539, 111)

2003 Cummins 8.3L-ISC-350HP, CAPS FUEL PUMP FAILURE (Fault Codes 277, 539, 111)

Note: In 2005-2007 Winnebago/Cummins uses a High Pressure Fuel Rail system, but the location of the ECM is still the same.

This thread addresses the cost and time it takes to repair and/or replace components of a CAPS FUEL PUMP (Part #4076442) -- and I would like to hear from other owners who have replaced these parts!

MY STORY:

It happened last month. I shut down the engine as usual the night before, and the next morning my engine DID start... but quickly shuddered, coughed white smoke, and died in 10 seconds. Later diagnosis shows Fault Codes 277 (Stator), 539 (Suppressor Diode), and 111 (ECM)

My 2004 Itasca Horizon 40AD has a 2003 Cummins 8.3L-ISC-350HP, CM554, Serial # 46321341, with 73,000 miles and a CAPS fuel system.

Note: The previous owner replaced the CAPS-Accumulator in 2009, at 45,000 miles, and Cummins-Billings, MT charged 5.5 hours time. This same owner also added a second fuel filter to address a known algae problem. ...And all these costs of repairs for part & labor seems right ($1,500 for the Accumulator; and $850 for the second fuel filter conversion).

Today, there is 73,000 miles on my coach, and I have another CAPS fuel pump problem, only this time the Cummins-Coburg location wants to bill me 12 hours to replace just ICV-STATOR (Fault 277); and the Suppressor (Fault 539) ... that the Cummins-Billilng shop did in 5.5 hours before. Note: Both repairs require troubleshooting and removing the CAPS-Accumulator. So if you ask me I'm getting charged double this time around!

...But with a stranded coach, I approved the charge. I also expressed my disappointment in labor time to upper Cummins-Coburg upper management, but they basically said told me in a very rude way to take my coach somewhere else if I did not approve the Estimate.

Of course, it cost me $1,000 to tow the RV to Cummins-Coburg, Oregon and would cost me $2,000 to tow it to Cummins-Portland so I kissed their ring and ask them to repair the RV. (BUT WHAT A NIGHTMARE IT HAS BEEN!) Cummins-Coburg has had my coach for 42 days now... and counting!

THE 1st ATTEMPT TO FIX MY ENGINE PROBLEMS COST $2,000: Cummins-Coburg, Oregon replaced the Stator & Suppressor, but after the engine ran rough again, they then said the Fuel Distributor could be out of time. They also warned me that debris probably broke the Distributor Hub and "sediment" could have damaged other parts of the pump.

Cummins-Coburg then said they could re-time the distributor and replace the ICV ($1,532 part's price), and replace the ECM ($1,200) to eliminate fault code 111; and Cummins-Coburg said they could get my engine running again for $4257, but warned me I should also need to replace the Low Pressure Fuel pump for another $1,000 if I did not want to experience another catastrophic failure on the road in the future. So we now we are at $5,357.

I think Cummins-Coburg, Oregon is just "working-me" at this point, so I would like to hear from members who have repaired or replaced their CAPS fuel system and ECM? I would like to know, I think we all would like to know, what you paid and how much time is involved for these types of repairs?

***I would very much like to hear from other 2004 and 2005 Winnebago owners, because Cummins-Coburg is saying these high prices are due to the lack of working space... unique to my coach.

Note: I have not yet approved this estimate for $5,357. And I don't want to pay for another CAPS fishing expedition, especially if this fix may fail in 5,000 miles. Therefore, I'm thinking the better alternative may be to replace the entire CAPS fuel pump... since I will still have 73,000 miles on the high pressure side of the pump if I approve this $5,357 repair and only replace the ICV & Re-time the fuel distributor and replace the low pressure side of the CAPS pump... and ECM too.

ALTERNATIVE

The parts cost to replace a 100% rebuilt CAPS fuel pump (Part #4076442-RX) is $3,900. However, Cummins-Coburg wants a whopping 19 hours of labor ($2,470) to replace a pump and ECM. That total comes to $6,993.

THESE LABOR QUOTES SEEM VERY HIGH TO ME. Cummins says there is no room between the side of the engine and the Freightliner Evolution Chassis so that accounts for the added time.

The space is tight, I will admit.. but only when it comes to the lower half of the engine. I know for a fact that when you remove the bedroom engine compartment lid, which is very large, there is a lot of room from the top-side of the engine.

Does anyone have any repair bills for replacing just the ECM?

Does anyone have any repair bills for replacing just the Injection Control Valve (ICV) on the pump?

Does anyone have any repair bills for replacing the entire CAPS Fuel Pump?

If so, please provide your make, model, and year, of both your coach and the engine type? Better still please let us know the name of your repair facility and how much labor time was involved? (Part's are expensive, but not the focus of this thread.)

Thank you all for your quick reply. I have to make a decision this week on what to do; and I would like someone with CAPS experience to share the time it takes to make these repairs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cummings CAPS Engine Diagram Valves.jpg
Views:	2330
Size:	191.1 KB
ID:	169100   Click image for larger version

Name:	Injection Control Valve (ICV) Wiring Diagram.jpg
Views:	825
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	169101  

imnprsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 03:14 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Are they the only repair place in town?
It sure sounds like it.
Might be worth it to have it towed to the next stopping place.
Old 10-24-2017, 06:32 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

I took my 2000 Dynasty to Cummins NW for a "loss of power" issue. It took them 5 weeks and $13,000 to repair the ISC. I will never visit that dealership again. They incrementally jacked the price of the repair, never telling me that the coach was safe to drive off their lot. First the alternator, then a $4000 fuel pump, then this and that and finally the charge air cooler. Total lack of professionalism.
norwestie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 07:14 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

I can certainly understand your frustration and going forward, I'd suggest you read thru these reviews on RVServiceReviews, scroll down for Colberg. Than perhaps act to remove your RV from where you are now...mainly because you burned up some of the goodwill you might have had there...to a different shop. One that has an 'Excellent' rating rather than just a 'Very Good' rating.

I've always avoided Cummins, Freightliner and now Cat factory shops just because of what they're doing to you. Seems their rule with RVs. Freightliner once quoted me $2800 for a bad master cylinder. I did the job myself in 2.5 hours and $500 in parts, and I'm not a mechanic.

Depending on your resources, you may want to search further afield from where you are now.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 01:10 PM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

05 Vectra Cummins 8.9L - 19,000 miles. We really need a forum that compares what each shop charges. Transpower, Valdesta Georgia replaced my ECU Part#4921776RX fand pressure relief valve Part # 3947799 for $3,419.00. But it did not solve the coach stalling issue. They ran tests which showed rail pressure at 19k psi rail pressure at 1,200 RPM. Then at 2,000 RPM the pressure builds to about 24k then slowly drops to 6k psi. They then replaced the Mechanical Gear Pump Part# 2872545RX and conducted several tests which did not solve the issue for another couple of thousand. Its hard to criticize as the manager is a super nice guy. This is not a place to take an RV. It's not something their mechanics know how to deal. Moved the coach to Cummings in Albany Georgia, though I think it could be something as simple as a restriction in the fuel lines or vent at the fuel tank since the problem occurs only when there is higher demand for fuel at higher RPM's. LMK how you make out on your repairs and I shall do the same.
05VECTRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 08:38 PM   #6

UPDATE: I'm so sorry I did not post a conclusion sooner.

I ended up replacing the entire CAPS injection pump, because I had no confidence in the Cummins-Coburg, OR tech's ability to rebuild my old pump.

If you find a qualified CAPS mechanic who can overhaul this system I would break it down into several parts that could need an overhaul... but only if you are blowing "white smoke" after you start the engine:

* Replace the Stator and Supressor diode
* Replace the Accumulator if you suspect algae and install a 2-filter system
* The gear pump shaft has been known to fail (normally caused by water in the system), but if you have fuel pressure then this is not your problem.
* Last resort: Replace your entire fuel pump and possibly the ECM too.

If you engine starts and then stops it's probably sucking air in through the lift pump gasket. This condition will not blow "white smoke" and it is easy to fix. Just tighten the 3 Lift Pump Bolts (not too tight) by accessing the top of your engine from inside your bedroom.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4d Lift Pump Fuel Lines.jpg
Views:	1148
Size:	113.8 KB
ID:	171881   Click image for larger version

Name:	4a Lift Pump Fuel Lines.jpg
Views:	460
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	171882  

Old 10-27-2019, 12:57 AM   #7

New news for caps owners! How to upgrade your lift pump!!!

All my troubles led me to this solution!!! I only wish I did FASS'd sooner...

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f123/cumm...mp-458337.html

And then we "Chipped" our engine and turned our 350HP-ISC into 420HP!

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f123/cumm...-a-466584.html

Tags
cummins, fuel