Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2009, 03:17 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

2002 Winnebago 35U heater core

Has any one replaced there heater core. Mine has a leak and i want to replace it my self.
cryoman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 08:39 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Had mine replaced, under extended warranty, mechanic pulled whole unit, said it was easier. About 3 hours labor. I wouldn't want to try it.

One note to ALL, when you service anything in the heater core area, check the
?vacuum? unit on the bottom of the housing, mine quite working, thought it was under extended warranty, was not, due to rust, my cost, $570.00, and was told was part of the housing, could not just replace ?vacuum? unit. I'm not sure what it is called.

The ?vacuum? unit on the bottom of the housing is out of site, out of mind, and can rust enough to freeze up. Check regularly. See note above.
2002 W-22 266"wb, Winnebago Chieftain 39T, UltraPower, Koni's, Helwig bars, Nuvi 660, Sirius, Scan Gauge II, Sentry TM. 2003 LW300 Saturn toad, Sterling towbar & Apollo brake. And Hannah the Princess and Stevie the Dude!
Daysu47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 10:29 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Hi Ho: We have two heater cores in our coach. One is the one that comes with the truck, the second is part of a "heater-aid" that is behind the water heater and heats the coach with an auxilary heat exchanger/blower. Which one do you mean? Or do you only have one?

Dirk
dirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 10:42 AM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

Do you have good SAM warranty? If so did they pay except for the deductible
Old 06-02-2009, 10:43 AM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

I have two as well, its the one for the dash heat that has a leak.
Old 06-02-2009, 05:42 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryoman1 View Post
Do you have good SAM warranty? If so did they pay except for the deductible
No, we have another after market warranty, but yes, they did pay for all except my $75.00 deductible.

Good luck.
2002 W-22 266"wb, Winnebago Chieftain 39T, UltraPower, Koni's, Helwig bars, Nuvi 660, Sirius, Scan Gauge II, Sentry TM. 2003 LW300 Saturn toad, Sterling towbar & Apollo brake. And Hannah the Princess and Stevie the Dude!
Old 06-02-2009, 08:07 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Winnebago 35U Heater Core

I replaced mine in my 2002 Journey....Searched this forum and found specific instructions on how to remove or better yet tilt forward the front cap...Once I located and removed all the fasterners, I titled the cap forward against a step ladder....Important not to remove the 2 bottom cap fastener bolts as this lets you tilt it forward....next step was disconnecting the hoses and then removing all the clips that hold the core plastic box together...Open the box and remove the old core....Getting the new one in a a bit harder...best to leave off the in and out nipple pipes and put them in after the core is in..then button up the plastic box with the clips... About a 4 hour job for one person with a second person helping on the cap tilt forward....I installed 2 NAPA shut off inline valves in case it leaked on a trip...shut the valves and be good to go till you can fix it..good luck....RKL
RKL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 08:11 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

winnebago 35U heater core

cryoman..forgot to add that I had to tilt the front cap as on my 36GD there was absolutly no room to take the plastic box apart to remove the core....Mine is a diesel, perhaps with a gas there is more room to work....RKL
RKL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 08:33 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I think when they replaced my core they took it out the bottom, not sure but they did not do anything with the front end cap. Also, I noted they tools on the floor in front of the passenger seat.

As said, I wouldn't want to try it, maybe 20 years ago, but not now, older and wiser!!
Old 06-25-2009, 12:44 PM   #10
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryoman1 View Post
Has any one replaced there heater core. Mine has a leak and i want to replace it my self.
Just want to update everyone about my heater core. I purchased my replacement from SCS Fridgette. They made the original one. The price was $90.26 + shipping, also bought 12 retaining clips for.27 ea. I had a friend help and from the time we opened the hood it took us 1.5 hours. Just removed two hoses and the retaining clips, unscrewed the two 3/8" hose adp and removed the two hoses. The unit seperated nicely. Removed the old unit and installed new one. The new one Doesn't have hose adap. to install. It has one piece tubing, just slide the hose over and clamp.
The part # for the heater core for a 2002 Itasca, gas eng, 8.1 workhourse is
084-00305
The people at scs were very helpfull. Everything went some for a change.