Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2018, 10:36 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

2002 Sightseer - leak hunting.

I didn't need a moisture meter. For anyone looking at one of this model, pull the screws and remove the vertical plastic trim (on the inside) between the windshield and front side window on both sides - slip a thin screwdriver behind the interior panel and see if it hits sponge wood. (this one also had a stain at the front/forward corner on the co-pilot's side - that I removed) I pretty much knew what I was getting into. I think the rule of thumb should be: "It's worse than you want to think it is." ...then be pleasantly surprised if you can limit the damage.

Aside from the layout, mostly plain interior, 'real' bed and the price, I was enthralled about having a molded FRP roof. I didn't spend much time examining how Winnebago merged the molded front/back caps and then attached the roof to the sides.

The front/rear caps appear to simply lap-joint with no moisture deterrent beyond the caulking the purchaser may, or may not, add to their maintenance list.

I have caulked all four corners - the center sections of both the front and back seem to not get the same workout you would imagine the contortions the coach makes during its travels. I'm considering my options about how to deal with the wet plywood under the exterior skin...

Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cap_leak1.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	297.1 KB
ID:	169399   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cap_leak2.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	293.4 KB
ID:	169400  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Cap_leak3.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	284.6 KB
ID:	169401   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cap_leak4.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	256.5 KB
ID:	169402  

Wetstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 10:24 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I'm not sure what to tell you about the plywood. In my case the bathroom skylight leaked and I was able to reach the damaged plywood by pulling pieces out from the edge of the skylight cutout and sliding replacements in. It's only 1/8" thick so you might be OK by just letting it dry out.

I've spent a lot of time researching leaks and recommended repairs and have decided to go the Eternabond route for the roof caps, vents, etc. After removing all the excess, and different types of, caulking from my front end cap, I was pleasantly surprised to see that the caulking between the cap and roof was sound. I covered the joint with Eternabond, which hopefully will last the remaining lifetime of my 2002 rig. I also used Eternabond on my new skylight and new vent. Next in line are the roof edges and rear cap, to be followed by the balance of the roof penetrations.

Before you go wild with caulking, make sure you understand the proper way to do it. You might want to read my post "Caulking Rant" on IVR2:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f84/caulk...nt-376721.html
BobC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 06:49 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Bob, I read your posting and agree; we went to the same school. I was on the early crew of SAIL in 70's and worked for a couple of boat companies. (even shot decks with a chopper gun for OMC Corp in the 60's) After that inflationary period about the mid-70s, there were also a ton of boat companies that shared the build quality of manufactured housing to achieve volume.

I need to get this ship out of drydock... Once it gets stabilized I'll do as you did - with eternabond. It was perhaps the 4th thing I purchased. It'll be tricky drying out the space between the windshield and side window in this climate. I can hardly find a 4-5hr period I can shoot paint. I may simply put a hairdryer on shorepower and let it work.

There's a highly liquid epoxy https://www.rotdoctor.com/products/cpes.html that I have used before. I may inject it down low where there is some 'puffiness' and put pressure on it to flatten it back out.

I could never buy new - I like projects and enjoy learning new skills. Cheers.

Jim
Wetstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 08:53 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

It's nice to meet a kindred spirit, I've spent innumerable hours with SAIL over the years. Most of my RV friends are sailors, although most of us have sold our boats.

There are quite a few useful postings on delamination repair on this, IRV2 and other forums. Some have even repaired it from the inside. I have two or three small areas, maybe a foot square or less that I'm leaving alone for now since they're old, dry and stabilized. Fortunately, most are close to the edge of an outside wall panel if I decide to repair them.

Thanks for the epoxy recommendation and keep us posted on your progress. Also, edit the tags on your post so the right key words are there for future searches, and the wrong ones are deleted. The automated choices aren't always the best.
BobC is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, sightseer