Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-03-2009, 06:04 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

2001 Loose Roof edges

Just purchased (direct from owner) and found on forums notifications to check roofline. Found edges/sealant loose. Have sealant removed from one side and am now slowly working to clear the channel of debris. Plan on using alcohol , air compressor and dremmel with a homemade scrubber to remove the black mildew in track. Found Manus 75-AM bright white to be factory original adhesive. Am I on the right track? Not ready for the bondo or screws just yet!
mking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 06:49 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

It sounds like you're on the right track. We had our coach serviced in Forest City last month. Part of that servicing was checking the caulking around the roof edges. They performed almost the same procedure you describe, and replaced about 6" - 8" of caulking. THis is the first time any caulk has been replaced since we bought it new in 2001.
Old 04-04-2009, 08:45 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Just finished preping the passenger side. The sealant order is turning into keystone cops. Local dealer had one tube of white. Ordered more, got nothing but alum grey!
Masco distrubutor will not order as minimum order is case of 32??? With all the work I am doing, I want white in my channel!
You mentioned 6" to 8", I found the entire roof edge on both sides to be movable.
Be careful.
mking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 07:43 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

There are some advantges of storing our coach in doors. Things seem to last longer out of the sun and rain. When the people at Forest City told me it could take up to 8 hrs to reseal the roof (@ $95.00/hr) I was glad we spent a the money for the garage.

We've had a minimum of problems related to age and weather. We actually wore out our first set of tires rather than have to replace them for weather checking, and haven't had any problems with carpet and furniture fading & deteriorating due to sun. Even the caulking around the windows and doors have lasted longer than most.
Old 04-05-2009, 09:34 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

I would say forget the caulk and use Eternabond on the seams.
zippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 01:19 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Yep, you are on the right track. Manus Bond bright white is the original stuff, and the area has to be clean and dry. I did mine a few years ago, and as I recall, it took a little more one tube. I ordered mine thru Lichtsinn Motors parts dept, and they were quick to ship, and the price was decent. Funny thing about the shipping though; the 2 tubes came in a big box that was wrapped with wide, black and yellow tape, with "Caution; Hazardous Materials" printed all over it. I wonder what the UPS guy thought I was doing!

When you are ready to caulk, push the nozzle forward, rather than pulling it behind where you caulk. This forces the material down into the space, and leaves no voids. Mine has held up well for several years, but my motorhome is stored under an RV port here at home, so that may help preserve things.

It's not a hard job. It just takes time to do it right. Sounds like you are almost there.
Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 12:39 PM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

For heaven's sake use ETERNABOND!! Then you won't ever have to worry again! Do a search for ETERNABOND and you will see.
kd9877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 10:14 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Bought my Suncruiser new in '02, MY 2003. I have re-caulked several times, no bigee, very easy. Bought the 2" white Eternabond intending to use that, but found very little area beneath roof/side wall in rain gutter to adhere to. I did not like the looks of 2" tape on my top. Call me anal. I inspect my roof at least every six months, and simply push on the roof from the side wall to determine roof adhesion. Then finding a loose area, remove the old caulking, clean the area with alcohol swabs, wipe, then caulk. Not really a big deal, and gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling afterward
2003 Jeep GC Overland in Tow
FDchief is offline   Reply With Quote