Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-17-2009, 09:24 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Question 2000 Winnebago 35U Squeaky Dash

I am the second owner of a 2000 35U, Ford F53 Chassis, Triton V10, 18000 miles. I've driven this MOHO about 12,000 miles and ever since I've had it there has been a SEVERE squeak in the Lift-up Dash.

While parked I can lightly press on the outer dash plastic and it makes a squeak. While driving @ 45 to 60 MPH the squeak is constant. This is a plastic-to-plastic type of squeak.

I've searched this Forum, but the "squeaks" posted here are about support bracket issues. My lift-up Dash sits on top of a solid area and is hinged in the back for easy access.

I have tried double sticky tape around the bottom of the Dash lip, the industrial version. That idea was suggested by a Winnebago Customer Service Tech, but it made no difference.

I tried 1" thick foam insulation tape around the bottom lip before I tried the double sticky tape, I also tried Industrial Strength Velcro - No help there either.

If I hold down on the dash while I'm driving, the squeak completely goes away. So I tried a temporary ratchet style strap to hold down the dash but that only made the problem worse. I think my hand acts like a shock absorber.

I also tried some silicone spray between the two layers of the plastic parts of the dash - that helped for about 2 minutes, then the squeak reappeared.

Anyone have any ideas?? (other than always holding down the dash with my hand)

Does anyone else's Winne Dash have squeaks?

Thanks in advance. David
2000 Winnebago 35U, Ford Triton V10, F53 Chassis (39,000 miles). Toad: 2000 Honda Odyssey (384,000 Miles), Home Made Trac Bar, Firestone Ride Rites, 5 Star Performance Tune, Cheap Handling Fix, Magnum Auto-Start Generator kit, King Quest VQ4100 (Direct TV)
David Kanoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 02:17 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

maybe get a "mechanics" stethoscope and have your dw try to pinpoint exactly where the squeak is coming from. then try a layer of silicone sealant on both sides at that point. let the sealant dry before closing the dash.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 08:19 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

We had a similar problem on our 01 Adventurer. I put a piece of "Trim-Lok edge guard around the entire perimeter of the upper section of the dash. It's been quiet ever since. The part# is 100B 3x1/8.

It's sold several places including Camping World in 25' rolls. I think you can order it directly from the compny

They have a web address: www.trimlok.com
Old 03-20-2009, 06:25 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Hikerdogs,

Thanks for the info. I don't have a CW near me, but after checking out the Trimlok on the link you provided, I found something similar at a local Advance Auto Parts store. I installed it around the outside of the top bezel of the dash per the enclosed picture. Is this where you installed your trim? I haven't been able to take the MH for a test drive yet, but just pushing on the dash with my finger still causes noticable squeaks, but maybe not quite as bad as before. Hope to get a test drive in this weekend.

David

(Looks like I'm not smart enough to post a picture.) Maybe this will work.
http://www.irv2.com/photopost/showph...0&limit=recent
2000 Winnebago 35U, Ford Triton V10, F53 Chassis (39,000 miles). Toad: 2000 Honda Odyssey (384,000 Miles), Home Made Trac Bar, Firestone Ride Rites, 5 Star Performance Tune, Cheap Handling Fix, Magnum Auto-Start Generator kit, King Quest VQ4100 (Direct TV)
Old 03-20-2009, 06:54 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

I opened the hinged section of the dash and held it up with a piece of wood. Then slipped the Trim-lok around the entire surface where it comes in contact with the permanent flat padded part of the dash. (Not between the black plastic faceplate and the painted part on the hinged section of the dash where the arrow in your picture is pointing)

The Trim-Lok extends from the piano hinge on the right, around around the painted part (where the cable is in your picture) then down around the black plastic part over to the steering column. There's a second piece on the left side that also goes from the piano hinge around to the steering column. The only part of the hinged section that doesn't have the Trim-Lok is just above the steering column.

In our case the black plastic faceplate section of the dash either warped slightly in the sun or was slightly mis-moulded and rubbed the permanent part of the dash on both sides where it makes the radius from the horizontal to the vertical

Looking at your picture it appears you have evidence of chaffing in the same area.
Old 03-20-2009, 07:17 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Hikerdogs,

Thanks for the quick reply!

I'll order the same Trimlok you used from CW and try again. (The trim I got from Advance isn't wide enough for the bottom lip of the dash.)

I'll let you know the outcome.

Thanks again, David
Old 04-01-2009, 04:20 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Don't know if you've solved this one yet, but here is what I did with the same squeaky dash problem, though mine was in a Pace-Arrow but on the same chassis. I cut pieces of pipe insulation (the cheap gray tubes you buy in 4 foot sections at Home Depot), split open the seams with my fingers, lifted the dash and then pressed the pipe insulation on the bottom edges. I trimmed the ends with scissors so they tapered off, and it really looked pretty good. I also put some on the lift hardware under the dash. No more squeaks in the dash. If you haven't already got it fixed, you might try this one.
steelheadbluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 05:16 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

No problem on my 02, but the pipe insulation sounds good. My thought was rubbing it with an old tapered candle. The wax sure helps draws in the house if you rub the slides. Any car wax should help if you wax both the top and bottom. If you try this be sure and clean the surface with alcohol before applying any adhesive. Good Luck
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote