Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-03-2009, 03:12 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

2000 Journey fiberglass roof replacement emergency!

In an earlier thread I described how the fiberglass roof off my 2000 journey was peeled back in a wind storm. Just the fiberglass sheet itself was peeled back. ripped in a few places and damaged. Its covered by my insurance. I took it to a local dealer here in corpus christi tx (no winney dealer local) they told me they were not able to order new fiberglass for the roof and want to do a rubber roof? I called winney 800 number. The first tech told me yes they can ship the fiberglass sheet. I informed the dealer and he called winney and they than told him no they were wrong the sheet was no longer made... The dealer went back to pushing rubber at me after that. I then told him about brite tek (he had not heard of it) He is now investigating that option.. He is the only decent dealer here at the end of the earth in Corpus so Im stuck with him. Does anyone have any advice for me? Has anyone recently ben able to order this fiberglass sheet? Does anyone have any experience with Brite tek vs rubber.. Im getting frustrated to say the least! HELP
capt mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 04:09 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Check boat dealers/repair facilities. Several years ago I was on the east coast doing volunteer work when a tree branch damaged my roof. This was a minor crack that could be repaired not like your situation however. There were no RV dealers anywhere on the Outer Banks at that time so I asked around about a reputable boat repair. They did a great job and were doing some major repairs on boats much larger than our motorhomes. I would not want anything but a fiberglass roof if at all possible.

Also local dealer may have been told by Winnie he would have to go through one of their dealers and may not want to do that. It just seems hard to believe your roof can't be replaced. I would call Winnie again to confirm that.
Numbers 6:24-26
Olive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 04:39 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Capt Mav

Don't let them put a rubber roof on. Just today while traveling on I95, a 5vr traveling in the opposite direction looked like a had two very large grows on the roof. Apparently air was being forced under the rubber and the roof was separating. Just a thought!
Good Day!
jDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 04:52 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Call Winnebago personally and see what they recommend. I think you should certianly get a fiberglass roof. You might even think of taking the motor home to a dealer in Houston, Tx

2002 36GD Journey DL
Robert Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 05:06 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Here is a thought. In 2008 our coach (2004 Sightseer 35N) took a lightning strike. The exterior roof was not penetrated, however the interior roof expanded/cracked the headliner & interior insulation was pushed down several inches into the coach for several square feet. The local Winnie dealer who I may say is a very competent facility, said without hesitation at first view of the damage that it had to go to the factory for repair. In addition to the roof many electronic boards/systems failed. At any rate what I am getting at is the factory can remove & replace the entire roof as they did with ours. It takes a while to schedule a roof replacement, one reason (there may be other reasons) for that is that they build the roof before you get there. The other issue is transportation to the factory is not covered. If you have someone transport it to & from it is expensive. We opted to take it ourself, while the work is being done you need to stay at at a hotel.
pace89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 05:23 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

It may be that Winnebago will only supply the whole roof assembly. We had a hail storm here and a friend had to have his roof replaced. Winnebago sent the whole roof to the dealer, Pleasureland in St. Cloud, MN. You couldn't tell it wasn't the original roof after it was replaced. Actually in our WIT state club, two members had their roofs replaced after wind damage.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 05:23 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

where is the factory that I would take it to????

nnnnn
Quote:
Originally Posted by pace89 View Post
Here is a thought. In 2008 our coach (2004 Sightseer 35N) took a lightning strike. The exterior roof was not penetrated, however the interior roof expanded/cracked the headliner & interior insulation was pushed down several inches into the coach for several square feet. The local Winnie dealer who I may say is a very competent facility, said without hesitation at first view of the damage that it had to go to the factory for repair. In addition to the roof many electronic boards/systems failed. At any rate what I am getting at is the factory can remove & replace the entire roof as they did with ours. It takes a while to schedule a roof replacement, one reason (there may be other reasons) for that is that they build the roof before you get there. The other issue is transportation to the factory is not covered. If you have someone transport it to & from it is expensive. We opted to take it ourself, while the work is being done you need to stay at at a hotel.
Old 11-03-2009, 05:33 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

The Winnebago manufacturing facility in Forest City, Iowa, is where we took ours for roof replacement. The electronic boards/system failures along with the transmission control module replacement were completed locally.
Old 11-04-2009, 08:31 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Go to the factory in Forest City, Iowa. Call them and talk to them but I thought that the roof had a 10 year warranty. That is of course if you have done your part on it's care.

The factory can and will replace the roof but you will be out of the coach for about a week. There is a local hotel right close to the factory as well as a bunch in nearby Mason City, Iowa. There are also electric hookups at the factory and dump and water nearby.
Savannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 08:47 AM   #10
doc
Winnebago Owner

We had Winnebago coach for years and I have to agree - take it to the factory. These people know their business and will likely have you in and out before you can even get an appointment and the roof ordered from a dealer.

I wonder does the new roof (if done at the factory) start the clock running again on the roof warranty. That might be another plus in letting the factor do the work. Besides that, the factory is pretty cool to tour.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 11:15 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Hi Doc. FYI I had the roof replaced at the Forest City location in October 2008. I was told by the Rep. who cordinated my project & the "New" roof has a six month warranty. Go figure ???
Old 11-04-2009, 11:44 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Find out what it'll cost to put it on a train to Forrest City and see if you can sell it to the insurance company

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 11:48 AM   #13
Winnebago Camper

brite tek roof estimate

Looks like I am stuck with installing the brite tek roofing, Iowa is a non starter...

Dealer is saying total cost for new roof is about 8000,,,, does that sound right?
Again this is just peeling off the old fiberglass and installing the brite tek
Sounds way high to me?
Old 11-05-2009, 01:19 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt mav View Post
Looks like I am stuck with installing the brite tek roofing, Iowa is a non starter...

Dealer is saying total cost for new roof is about 8000,,,, does that sound right?
Sounds way high to me?
Price sounds about right for what you are getting. I would be worried about the brite tek adhering properly to the existing foam. You said in original post that it was broken in some areas. The only way you are going to regain the original roof integrity is to replace the roof. There must be a repair facility within driving distance of your location.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 04:53 PM   #15
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt mav View Post

Sounds way high to me?
I think you are throwing good money away with a non standard roof. Get it back to the factory for a new roof.

Jim

Our Webpage
jimandsue60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 05:05 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Hi capt mav. As I mentioned before I had the entire roof replaced at Forest City, IA. My replacement included a complete roof assembly, they take the whole assembly off & install it as a new assembly that is made specifically for your model coach. Fiberglass top/ac ducting/insulation/new headliner/roof ac,s removed & reinstalled/new refrigerator vent/bath & lounge fans & vents removed & reinstalled/new Bat wing. Cost as I remember was $14,000.00. I think it took 3 days but I wanted to leave it cure for 24 hours before I moved it, so it stayed inside for one more day. Matter of fact the photo in my avatar is with the new roof.
Old 11-05-2009, 05:14 PM   #17
Winnebago Master

I would certainly agree with most of the folks responding to the question....find a way to get the coach to Forest City and let the experts at Winnebago replace the roof. I realize that is certainly an inconvenience but you indicated insurance would be covering the cost. Perhaps they might help with the cost of travel to/from Iowa.

Another option is to talk to Bryan Funke at Winnebago. Bryan has been very helpful to many of us here. I'd ask him if there is any full service Winnebago dealer near you who he would recommend doing a roof replacement. For example, he told me some time ago that Bill Plemmons RV in Winston-Salem, NC could do most any repair they can do at the factory. You can contact him at [email protected].

Good luck.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 06:38 PM   #18
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
I would certainly agree with most of the folks responding to the question....find a way to get the coach to Forest City and let the experts at Winnebago replace the roof. I realize that is certainly an inconvenience but you indicated insurance would be covering the cost. Perhaps they might help with the cost of travel to/from Iowa.

Another option is to talk to Bryan Funke at Winnebago. Bryan has been very helpful to many of us here. I'd ask him if there is any full service Winnebago dealer near you who he would recommend doing a roof replacement. For example, he told me some time ago that Bill Plemmons RV in Winston-Salem, NC could do most any repair they can do at the factory. You can contact him at [email protected].

Good luck.
You said that a whole better than I did, Thank You.

Jim

Our Webpage
jimandsue60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 01:58 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

The dealer is wrong. Have them check part number 108535-05-706. That is a roll 108"wide by 435" long. Winnebago part number and that is in stock at Winnie!
forest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 11:05 AM   #20
Winnebago Camper

Ok
Latest from dealer is that the damaged fiberglass cant be peeled back and off so they are going to repair the areas of damage with fiberglass and then put the Brite Tek roof on top of the glass??? Has anyone heard of this???? Now Im really confused....