Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2019, 05:15 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

2 year old gelcoat damaged by sun.

hello,
I was excited to get my 2017 winnie drop in gorgeous blue. figured if I kept it clean, applied whatever protective stuff, it would last forever. not. the fenders are a shiny silver, so the sun damaged a semi circle above them. noticed the fade a bit, but too inexperienced to jump all over it, so I cleaned the awning with an rv awning cleaner. this cleaner ran into where the coating burned off and streaked/oxidized it horribly. no soap would take it off. tried clay bar. nothing. polishing compound worked on a tiny test area to an extent...I guess I need to buy an orbital, buff the @#$% out of it and find some clear coat?

so whats the deal with this space age gel coat? seems pretty delicate to me. guess Ill buy a cover or get covered storage. 20+ years with aluminum coaches never a problem 1.5 with the expensive gel coat? disaster. any secrets of the trade out there? im considering a boat shop, just let them do their magic. anyway, any tips would be appreciated. and yeah. the picture is upside down. perfect. lol

thanks...
nrg~~~~
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	faded.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	158.6 KB
ID:	171913  
nrg2brn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 10:27 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrg2brn View Post
hello,
I was excited to get my 2017 winnie drop in gorgeous blue. figured if I kept it clean, applied whatever protective stuff, it would last forever. not. the fenders are a shiny silver, so the sun damaged a semi circle above them. noticed the fade a bit, but too inexperienced to jump all over it, so I cleaned the awning with an rv awning cleaner. this cleaner ran into where the coating burned off and streaked/oxidized it horribly. no soap would take it off. tried clay bar. nothing. polishing compound worked on a tiny test area to an extent...I guess I need to buy an orbital, buff the @#$% out of it and find some clear coat?

so whats the deal with this space age gel coat? seems pretty delicate to me. guess Ill buy a cover or get covered storage. 20+ years with aluminum coaches never a problem 1.5 with the expensive gel coat? disaster. any secrets of the trade out there? im considering a boat shop, just let them do their magic. anyway, any tips would be appreciated. and yeah. the picture is upside down. perfect. lol

thanks...
nrg~~~~
There is probably nothing you can do, to (even if you repair the gel coat, that it will not happen again.) unless you modify your the surface of your wheel fenders (black enamel paint, for instance.

There is another option though...that we who also own motorcycles have used as a solution to faded or paint damage by our clothing upon the tanks and saddle bags. The word----> good looking camouflage. Instead of spending time, money, and effort to bring back (which most likely you won't ) to factory glaze condition...I suggest that you think of taking it to a local motorcycle paint artist, and have him do a semi-circular painted scene of nature, like a forested lake, or river scene with mountains in the back ground. That would hide the gel coat damage, and he could use a good UV handling paint that we use for that purpose on our bikes. That's one option. The other option, would be to to attach a circular shield surface (polar white acrylic) that would not only look nice, customize your Drop...but would protect that vulnerable area from any further need of preventative or repariative nature. Also, a very nice oval scenery could be placed into the center of the polar white oval and looks simply great, and custom. That is what I most likely would do to effect not only a 'repair' but to avoid any further deterioration of that specific x/y coordinate of your side wall, and gel coat application.

Good luck, with anything you end up doing. Drops are nice trailers!
Sun_Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote