Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > General Maintenance and Repair
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-24-2012, 09:03 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

2 Piece Ladders, I DON'T Like 'em...

Like I guess most coaches, ours has a 2 piece ladder, with the bottom portable part stored in an outside bay. I just don't like it. I don't know about the rest of you, but I seem to want to get up on my roof on a fairly regular basis. Our coach is stored un-covered at home and we have a lot of tall trees. The wind blows and I have small branches on top of the coach that need to be removed as well as regular cleanings. But, mostly, when I fuel up, I often like to clean the camera glass. I hate getting out the bottom portion of the ladder just to wipe off the glass. I guess I know why manufacturers make the 2 piece, but maybe I'm wrong. They are trying to ensure no one else has access to climbing on the roof and possibly injuring themselves? Is that it? I do recall a time when I was stopped at an intersection in a different coach we owned. I looked in the rear-view mirror and noticed a kid on a skateboard hanging onto the ladder and yes, when the light turned green he was still with me. Hung on for about half a block. I thought it was kinda cool!

I would like to permanantly install a lower portion, but don't really want to do it with the existing part I now have and I don't want to replace the whole ladder. Does anyone know of an existing solution? I'm thinking something similar to the lower half but that doesn't have the large openings to attach to the upper half. I just want something that will attach to the upper portion and then install a couple screws/bolts and I'm done. Anyone?

Thanks, Phil
Old 05-24-2012, 09:21 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

The bottom part is removeable to gain access to the engine to check oil, coolent, etc.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:49 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickandcheryl View Post
The bottom part is removeable to gain access to the engine to check oil, coolent, etc.
HA! I read that and it was like a revelation. How could I miss that obvious need? I immediately went out and took a look at my coach. Nope, that is not the case. Even with the engine door open it still clears even the upper portion of the ladder and there is plenty of room for the lower portion, too. So, at least on my coach, I still don't see the need for a 2 piece ladder.
Old 05-24-2012, 10:00 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

My ladder does not block access either, I choose not to carry the bottom half, I have a fold up space saving ladder that I install my sun screens with. One ladder can do both. I use my fold up to gain access to my rear ladder. I'm with you on the rear camera lens, I rain-x mine once a year and this helps tremendously! Just one more thing I don't have to do while traveling.
Old 05-24-2012, 10:04 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 336muffin View Post
I choose not to carry the bottom half, I have a fold up space saving ladder that I install my sun screens with.
BINGO. I don't even carry the bottom half with us either....matter of fact, I've never even used it!
MntDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 10:09 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
My ladder does not block access either, I choose not to carry the bottom half, I have a fold up space saving ladder that I install my sun screens with. One ladder can do both. I use my fold up to gain access to my rear ladder. I'm with you on the rear camera lens, I rain-x mine once a year and this helps tremendously! Just one more thing I don't have to do while traveling.
Thanks for the reminder about Rain-X, I forgot I was going to do that. Good to know it helps. I also carry a fold-up ladder, but that is still something I would need to go get just to climb my ladder. I'm really looking for a more or less permanant solution with my existing ladder.
Old 05-24-2012, 04:40 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via ICQ to W8RLM
On my Journey, the bottom portion attaches to the top section and the support pad on the bottom section rests against the "bumper" - probably like everyone else. I also did not like storing the bottom part. Behind the "bumper" there is a steel plate for support of the ladder pad. I mounted the bottom portion, drilled two holes through the pad on the bottom section and the bumper and steel plate and used stainless steel bolts and nuts to permanently mount it. Its been on there for over a year, and everything is fine.

W8RLM - Bob
Old 05-24-2012, 05:43 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by W8RLM View Post
On my Journey, the bottom portion attaches to the top section and the support pad on the bottom section rests against the "bumper" - probably like everyone else. I also did not like storing the bottom part. Behind the "bumper" there is a steel plate for support of the ladder pad. I mounted the bottom portion, drilled two holes through the pad on the bottom section and the bumper and steel plate and used stainless steel bolts and nuts to permanently mount it. Its been on there for over a year, and everything is fine.

W8RLM - Bob
Ok, Bob, thanks, that's kinda what I had in mind. I just wasn't sure if it would look "funny" with the big loops of the lower section permanantly attached to the upper portion. Actually, I'm to the point where I don't care what it looks like, I just want to be able to use my ladder without going to get it, first!
Old 05-24-2012, 05:57 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

I believe the reason the manufacturers went to the two piece ladder was for security reasons. One of the easiest access points to gain entry into the coach is through the shower skylight. I leave my lower portion at home and use my collapsible ladder on those rare occasions when I need to get on the roof while I'm away from home.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 06:21 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

I spend a lot of time under trees as well, so I need roof access often. This is kinda crazy on my part, but for the last two years, I've been lazy and just left mine hanging on the bottom. It doesn't seem to move, as I can clearly see it through the rear camera. No scuffing of paint, no other problems. It would have to swing WAY out to disconnect, and that is unlikely.... Not a good solution, I suppose, just expressing another option. I don't like pulling it out of storage, then having to clean it up to put it back later. (I know, being lazy again. )

I've thought of mounting it permanently, but am put off by the narrow width at the top of the bottom section, and also put off by using the rings for connection. IMO, it just wouldn't look right, and probably not be as strong, not sure. I may rebuild the bottom portion with some chromed tubing to widen it out, then attach. Or just cut them off to get the same width as the upper, though I would give up some length. Or I could use some tubing to 'sleeve' both sections and restore the full length.... Any thoughts?
steelheadbluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 07:22 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelheadbluesman View Post
I spend a lot of time under trees as well, so I need roof access often. This is kinda crazy on my part, but for the last two years, I've been lazy and just left mine hanging on the bottom. It doesn't seem to move, as I can clearly see it through the rear camera. No scuffing of paint, no other problems. It would have to swing WAY out to disconnect, and that is unlikely.... Not a good solution, I suppose, just expressing another option. I don't like pulling it out of storage, then having to clean it up to put it back later. (I know, being lazy again. )

I've thought of mounting it permanently, but am put off by the narrow width at the top of the bottom section, and also put off by using the rings for connection. IMO, it just wouldn't look right, and probably not be as strong, not sure. I may rebuild the bottom portion with some chromed tubing to widen it out, then attach. Or just cut them off to get the same width as the upper, though I would give up some length. Or I could use some tubing to 'sleeve' both sections and restore the full length.... Any thoughts?
Yeah, see, that's what I was thinking. Someone must have found a solution and is marketing it. I'll be first in line when you get your idea fully developed!! I like the "sleeved idea, best.
Old 05-24-2012, 07:32 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Be aware of children, grand children and some one else's children that just can not resist climbing! I always thought that was the reason for two piece ladders....Liability!
Old 05-24-2012, 07:35 PM   #13
Winnebago Watcher

I've had my eyes open looking for the hinge like is used on the folding boarding ladder on a boat. That way it would be held up with a clip until I fold it down.
1995 F53 35U Bounder, Wide Body-Large Vertical Windows-NO SLIDES, Front Axle-Davis Tru-Trac Bar, Rear Axle-SuperSteer Trac Bar, TowBar/Brake System-NSA ReadyBrute Elite, Family Motor Coach Association F 513--F 513s
Dwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 07:41 PM   #14
Winnie-Wise

On our 39K, I wanted the storage area clear of the ladder extension. I can carry a 6' aluminum step ladder in the third bin on the curb side as it is a pass thru on the top part. Fits perfectly. Now I just get it out and it leans up against the mounted ladder to give me access. Plus, I have a "real" step ladder for other things.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:40 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight View Post
I've had my eyes open looking for the hinge like is used on the folding boarding ladder on a boat. That way it would be held up with a clip until I fold it down.
This is a good exchange. I like this idea, Dwight, because it keeps that lower ladder portion where I want it, yet it would be secured.... Whadaya think, Madrona, I kind of like this one.

Good hit, Dwight.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:47 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Be aware of children, grand children and some one else's children that just can not resist climbing! I always thought that was the reason for two piece ladders....Liability!
336 - I think you make a good point, and it adds value to Dwight's plan, I think. The hinge gets it up in a safe position. Plus, I'm thinking the folded -up part could be a platform of sorts to anchor folding chairs or other gear just above, bungied to the upper section, you know, to keep them from sliding down....
Old 05-25-2012, 01:57 PM   #17
Winnebago Master

I have seen them where the bottom part could be "Swung up" that the top of the bottom part was a curcular thing that went around a lug on the top part..

Just swing it up and bunjee it down.
Old 05-25-2012, 04:10 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelheadbluesman View Post
This is a good exchange. I like this idea, Dwight, because it keeps that lower ladder portion where I want it, yet it would be secured.... Whadaya think, Madrona, I kind of like this one.

Good hit, Dwight.
Well, I may not understand this, exactly. Seems like a loooong reach to "un-latch" it? Might need a ladder to get at your ladder??
Old 05-25-2012, 05:52 PM   #19
Winnebago Owner

Yeah, I get that.... Let me see if I can explain my thinking, Phil - The bottom of my ladder that is attached to the rig is about 4 1/2 feet off the ground with the leveling jacks down. My extension that hangs from the lowest rung is about 3 feet in length. If I hinged the two parts together at the bottom of the fixed ladder, so the extension could swing out and up, then I could "pin" (or bungy) them together at about the mid-point of the extension portion, maybe a bit higher. That 'pinning' point would then be at about 6 feet from the ground, and should be plenty strong for such a light load as well as within comfortable reach. I think this would work well, since the ladder stays on the back rather than in the compartment and is always easy to use. Also, the security/childproofing issues mentioned earlier are (mostly) satisfied.

The problem is the hinge.... Boat ladders use various metal hinge mechanisms on each side, and I'm not sure how to fabricate them, but it should be easy, although they might create a weak link. Meantime, I'm thinking about just flipping my extension piece upside down, while keeping the loops on the bottom rung (like a jackknife) and then bungying it to the main section. I think this is what wa8yxm is talking about. Wait a sec

Okay, I just took a break, went out to the MH, swung the extension up, and it just touches the siderails on the fixed portion; they are plenty close enough to be tightly secured, and I can easily get a bungy around it while standing on the ground. So, unless I want a "cleaner" hinge-and-pin job, it may just stay that way. Not too bad, I might be done.... Let me know if you try it, Phil... Thanks, all!
Old 05-25-2012, 06:05 PM   #20
Winnebago Camper

On one of these forums a few months ago, it was posted that we store the bottom half of the ladder in the bedroom closet. It would then be easy and quickly available to use as an ladder to get out of the emergency window.

I have not done it but still seems like a good idea. From those windows down is a big drop and most of us are not as flexible as in years past.
okgc is offline   Reply With Quote