Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2007, 09:51 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Hi,
I've been lurking around here for a while and finally had a reason to post.

My 90 Chieftain is having issues with the windshield wipers. Specifically, they never turn off. For a while, I would start it up and they might run. Or they would occasionally turn on randomly. But now, they are running constantly. This happened on our last trip. I ended up pulling the fuse to stop them for the short term. But, I'd prefer to get a longer term fix.

I do notice a clicking sound that seems to emanate from a silver/gray box that is mounted to the wall near my left foot. The clicking gets worse (more frequent) when I wiggle the wires going in there. Anyone know what that box is or how hard its going to be to open and/or remove for inspection?

Thanks!
JonathanL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 09:51 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Hi,
I've been lurking around here for a while and finally had a reason to post.

My 90 Chieftain is having issues with the windshield wipers. Specifically, they never turn off. For a while, I would start it up and they might run. Or they would occasionally turn on randomly. But now, they are running constantly. This happened on our last trip. I ended up pulling the fuse to stop them for the short term. But, I'd prefer to get a longer term fix.

I do notice a clicking sound that seems to emanate from a silver/gray box that is mounted to the wall near my left foot. The clicking gets worse (more frequent) when I wiggle the wires going in there. Anyone know what that box is or how hard its going to be to open and/or remove for inspection?

Thanks!
Old 07-25-2007, 03:25 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Check Winnebago's wiring diagrams. You should be able to identify the item in question. Go to www.winnebagoind.com. Go to resources and you should find how to get to the diagrams.
Hope this helps.
Old 07-25-2007, 04:49 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

I've got the diagrams. Winnebago sent them to me. The diagram for the 31RQ chassis doesn't have the wiper on it. There is another diagram for the N series that does. It looks similar to what I have and I have traced it back to the fuse block and also to something called "Smart Stick Wiring". There's nothing else on the diagram for that.

Any ideas on what a Smart Stick is?
Old 07-25-2007, 05:20 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Followup. The N Series diagram is the proper diagram. But, it still has the wiper controls going to something called a SmartStick. Is this the stick on the steering column with the controls for the wipers??

Any idea where I can get the diagram for that? Google has yielded nothing so far.
Old 07-25-2007, 08:00 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I can say my 1990 Elandan has done the same thing sinse I got it three years ago, I have had the wiper control knob box rebuilt 2 times and it still comes on for a short time then stops. The rebuild helped the problem but did not solve it I tried to order a control knob box but cant find any.
Next time I am going to get it hard wired to the on possition and a toggle switch to turn it off, not much speed controls that way but at least I can stop it if I want to.

DFW, Texas
Dougmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 04:39 AM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Is the wiper control knob box the silver box down near the floor mounted to the wall near my left foot (if I was sitting in the drivers seat)?

If so, then I think that is the culprit.