Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2018, 02:27 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

1977 Winnebago Brave 26' Will Not Start

Hello, we've recently acquired a 1977 Winnebago Brave 26' with a Dodge 440 engine. It has sat unused for 17 years however, after my husband replaced plugs, wires, gas, radiator, tires, etc it started up & we were actually able to drive it around a few times. Then suddenly it will not start up at all. It's getting spark & fuel, rebuilt carb & replaced numerous parts (I'll get a complete list from my husband) but simply cannot get it to start. Any advice or direction will be GREATLY appreciated, thanks!
BudnJulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 04:21 PM   #2

Find the oldest mechanic you can or an old Dodge car club member to work on it.
LarryW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 01:13 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Just a guess, and couple of things to try / consider - pull off one of the valve covers and see if the rocker arms are moving. If not, it's likely a broken timing chain. The other thing that comes to mind... I've "rebuilt" several carburetors and they still wouldn't run right. There are so many passage ways, jets, etc in there that you could soak it in carb cleaning for a month and still not get all of the junk and varnish out of there. It could be that something broke loose while you were driving it around those few times and clogged up a passage or a jet. I would see if maybe you could find a replacement carb - maybe get a newer Edelbrock carb and an adapter plate..? Just food for thought.
WarrenJA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brave, winnebago