Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-06-2015, 05:25 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

18 gal Manchester propane tank

We bought a 2012 Class C and have found that the valve does not shut the propane off and the entire tank has to be replaced. We have owned 5 other units and never had this problem before. Actually never heard of it. Am wondering if it may have come from the factory like this and no one ever noticed. This was the only thing we didn't check on our full day PDI. Has anyone heard of a recall on this tank and are their any known other problems with this model. Winnebago 2012 Chalet(Access) 24V. Thx)
Old 11-06-2015, 05:28 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

I don't understand why a faulty valve would require the whole tank to be replaced? Most every valve I've seen screws into the tank and the valve alone could be changed out. It will require draining the tank, but again, why does the tank have to be removed?

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2015, 05:41 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Beats me, I talked to 2 different dealers and my propane dealer all said the same thing. We thought the same as you, just change the valve.
Old 11-08-2015, 04:19 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

How many gallon tank? It does seem strange.
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 04:12 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Beabop, even Winnebago outdoors sells the valve.
Manchester V20373/V21202 LP Service Valve : Appliance Parts
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 09:06 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Thx GRT I saved the site and printed out the pic to show to the propane tec in the spring. If he will do it I'm sure much cheaper than my 250 deductible for a tank.
Old 11-10-2015, 09:10 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

To clarify as it was posted on another site, I did find a company in a nearby city whose certified tec will look at the MH in the spring.
Old 12-19-2015, 11:53 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

I have a similar problem. My 2006 Monaco Cayman was stored about two months with no power supplied. I had to Jump start chassis battery to get started. Didn't check House until I had driven to site and parked. Plugged in power then noticed frig was not getting propane. Tank level is about 3/4 full but no gas is getting past solenoid valve at tank. After tapping, switching on and off with no success I ordered a new valve from Nashfuel to replace defecting valve. Now my problem is, how do I drain propane so I can install new valve. I have searched for ways to salvage the propane but haven't found and suggestions. I have hooked up a remote 5 gal tank for heat but sure need the larger tank. Help!!!
worob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 12:07 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

On my tank there is a manual shut off valve and then the solenoid valve. The solenoid valve is operated by a switch in my rearmost compartment where the propane filler port is located.

Check to see if yours is like that. Check to see if the manual valve is counterclockwise open, and the switch operating the solenoid is in the On position.
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 12:08 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

If you want to be ecologically incorrect, you could just vent it to the atmosphere. If you and a few friends have propane gas grills, you could gift (Christmas?) them gas.

If you go to the YouTube page linked here, you'll see other strategies. You could also contact a local LP gas distributer and ask them, they have trucks with pumps that could pump your tank out for you.

Bob & Donna
Old 12-19-2015, 12:24 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

I found this picture on the web. Does yours look anything like this set up?
You can see the manual valve, then the regulator then the solenoid valve.

One more thought, are you sure the tank is full? Sometimes the gauge can stick. Does the tank have it own mechanical gauge?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	11039.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	159.7 KB
ID:	114485  
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 12:34 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

propane tank

The temp is in 20s at night and 40s during day. Transferring propane doesn't seem like a good option the way shown on youtube.
My on/off switch is next to the fill valve and I can hear it clicking the solenoid and the solenoid gets warm. Nashfuel, who makes valve thought the plunger from solenoid is stuck and suggested a new valve. I have it on order.
My tank does not have a shut off to the tank before the solenoid. They are all in the same valve body. Thanks for quick replys
Old 12-19-2015, 12:37 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
I found this picture on the web. Does yours look anything like this set up?
You can see the manual valve, then the regulator then the solenoid valve.

One more thought, are you sure the tank is full? Sometimes the gauge can stick. Does the tank have it own mechanical gauge?
doesn't look anything like this setup. I don't have a shut off valve at tank. It is in valve body with Solenoid
Old 12-19-2015, 12:44 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
If you want to be ecologically incorrect, you could just vent it to the atmosphere. If you and a few friends have propane gas grills, you could gift (Christmas?) them gas.

If you go to the YouTube page linked here, you'll see other strategies. You could also contact a local LP gas distributer and ask them, they have trucks with pumps that could pump your tank out for you.
Saw this on You Tube also but gas want transfer because solenoid valve is not letting any gas get through. The only way I can think of to drain tank to replace valve is through Overfill Valve. I would want to be in lonely spot with good breeze because it would take awhile to get pressure of tank.
Old 12-19-2015, 02:49 PM   #15
Winnie-Wise

The video is in warm weather, note the shorts and T-shirt. In cold weather, you would run hot/warm water on the donating tank and the pressure will increase and push into the accepting tank.

Bob & Donna
Old 12-20-2015, 03:52 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

Unless you have a liquid valve on your tank it's almost impossible to transfer the propane from one tank to another. We had a slow leak in the 28 gallon Manchester tank of our 2001 Adventurer. When the local gas company came out to drain the tank they found it only had a vapor fill port not a liquid fill port.

The only choice was to run a vapor line from the leaking tank to other empty tanks. We had 5, 200 lb. tanks full of vapor and hardly even touched the liquid level in the tank on the RV. After filling all the tanks the technician brought we decided it was a lost cause.

We followed him to a open field about 20 miles out of town. He connected 200' of vapor hose to the tank and ran it out into the field. It still took over half an hour to drain the entire tank. It might have been technically ecologically incorrect, but a leaking LP tank in an RV park on the 4th of July weekend could have been even a bigger disaster.
Old 12-20-2015, 06:37 PM   #17
Winnie-Wise

A 18 gallon propane tank can only be filled to 80% of that capacity to allow for expansion. That means your tank could at most hold 14.4 gallons of propane. Propane weighs about 4.2 pounds per gallon, so you have a maximum of ~60 pounds of propane. You're in Pennsylvania, my home for my first 16 years. Propane in PA last week was running about $3 (minus taxes) for residential use. Your whole tank would be about $43 if full. Call around and see if a local distributer can either transfer your gas or what they suggest.

Bob & Donna
Old 12-20-2015, 07:26 PM   #18
Winnebago Camper

Since your RV tank is made to take gaseous LP from the tank to your RV there is no way to remove the liquid propane unless the tank is dropped and rotated so the tank pickup is down in the liquid. I have seen some LP service centers where they have a flare stand where they connect a long hose to the LP tank and then run it to a tripod supporting a very large burner held straight up 5-6' in the air. For those concerned about the ecology, the burner flares the gas to carbon dioxide and water and a lot of BTU's of heat so no harm there. I've also seen repairs done on the huge tanks dealers have, and the flare burner there is positively huge. Of course they can pump most of the liquid propane in those tanks out but there's considerable residual left that's burned off.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane, tank