Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2013, 09:39 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

04 Itasca 40AD Wall Stud Broken Weld

This diagnosis of a broken weld on wall stud was presented to Winnebago by my
dealer to see if they would fix it. They came back with it is out of warranty.
Also so the aftermarket warranty denied the claim.

The only way this was diagnosed was from a slight crease just at the front lower
corner of the bedroom slide; which now starting to open into a crack and the
movement of the slide while driving has rubbed 2 small groves into the frame at
the bottom front of the bedroom.

The estimate to fix is $3,000.00 As you might guess the exterior wall must be
removed to get to the problem.

History we bought this last fall with just under 24,000 miles and looking
extremely nice for a 8 year old MH. We asked for a warranty to cover future
problems and were provided with a Cornerstone warranty; which has paid for a few
small problems already.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Margaritaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 07:51 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaritaman View Post
This diagnosis of a broken weld on wall stud was presented to Winnebago by my
dealer to see if they would fix it. They came back with it is out of warranty.
Also so the aftermarket warranty denied the claim.

The only way this was diagnosed was from a slight crease just at the front lower
corner of the bedroom slide; which now starting to open into a crack and the
movement of the slide while driving has rubbed 2 small groves into the frame at
the bottom front of the bedroom.

The estimate to fix is $3,000.00 As you might guess the exterior wall must be
removed to get to the problem.

History we bought this last fall with just under 24,000 miles and looking
extremely nice for a 8 year old MH. We asked for a warranty to cover future
problems and were provided with a Cornerstone warranty; which has paid for a few
small problems already.

Any advice would be appreciated.
I had a Journey for 8 years before we recently traded it. I would recommend you get that problem fixed since it is only going to cause more expensive issues down the road.

If possible, I would take it to the factory in Forest City, IA for the repair. They might give you some break but not likely at this point.

I am curious about your Cornerstone warranty. We purchased a 4 year Cornerstone warranty for the coach we now have since it is a rather complicated beast. Why did Cornerstone refuse to help with the structural repair? What other items have they paid for?
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 12:02 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
I had a Journey for 8 years before we recently traded it. I would recommend you get that problem fixed since it is only going to cause more expensive issues down the road.

If possible, I would take it to the factory in Forest City, IA for the repair. They might give you some break but not likely at this point.

I am curious about your Cornerstone warranty. We purchased a 4 year Cornerstone warranty for the coach we now have since it is a rather complicated beast. Why did Cornerstone refuse to help with the structural repair? What other items have they paid for?
Dealer seems to be quite familiar with the problem. sidewall was opened up yesterday and there was no broken weld just flex caused by using plywood for a brace instead of a metal plate. One of the braces has flexed and is warped. dealer is going to weld a couple of plates over the offending corners.
By the way the crack had leaked although it did not look as if it was big enough to let any moisture in, and several layers of the plywood were damaged. They will be replaced by the plate.
Craig
Old 07-06-2013, 12:06 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post

OOPs failed to answer the Warranty question. They said they did not cover the stucture built around the coach, only the mechanical.
Old 07-22-2013, 10:24 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Update on Wall Prob;lem and Main slide

I just came from McClain’s RV in Rockwall Texas after looking at the work they have done on my damaged sidewall just in front of the bedroom slide it looks fabulous. The color blending appears to be perfect and the support they put in the wall should eliminate further flexing. Note: upon removal of the fiberglass in the damaged area we found that this had been repaired before but no support had been added.
They are about to tackle the damage to the main slide behind the driver’s seat to replace the Nylon glide that tore up and came out on my last trip. The Body shop foreman and his assistant are very competent and I have confidence that that will also work out well. I found out that Cornerstone is reconsidering the claim and may cover the repair. I sure hope so.
I also can recommend the service department. The service foreman and his crew are also very good.
Bottom line I would recommend these guys. The Service manager and his assistants are very good to work with and have done everything they can to keep me informed and satisfied.

Craig Matthews aka “Margaritaman”
2004 Itasca Horizon AD
Old 05-17-2016, 01:25 PM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

cracks around bed slide

Has any cracks come back since you had them fixed??
I am having same issues with crack on front of my bed slide.
dixieland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 02:16 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Sidewall Cracks

Dixieland;

I first took it to a friend in the auto body business. He did a beautiful job cosmetically, but it lasted only until a couple of slide sequences.

We are in Vermont, with minimal choices for repair facilities. Camping World is about it. They claimed they had done this type of repair before. The results were poor cosmetically and the crack[s] reappeared, tho' lesser in scope. They said their work was warranteed, and I took it back. It has now been repaired to where I might have to point the area out to someone...not perfect, but acceptable.

The problem was there when I bought the unit, but I was too blinded by its otherwise pristine condition and an unbelievable price. It is obvious to me that the slide was overextended at some point [or points], causing the problem. I'm sure that correcting the slide travel had the biggest effect in correcting things.

Not sure about a broken wall stud weld. I don't think they went that "deep" into the wall structure. I just hope that procedure is not in my future.

Feel free to call with questions or for pictures [if I can find them].
Ron

Tags
itasca