Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2012, 07:28 AM   #21
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by davismills View Post
Fire Up: You make good points. My CRV was under warranty at the time and I was told that if I cut into the existing wires, I would void Honda's warranty. So as Sinatra sang, I did my way. Happy RVing to you too. I see you got the Navi model of CRV. How do you like that feature?
davismills,
It's kind of "Hidden" issue or problem. You see, you can wire it your (and many others) way and, when you do a "light check" both at the initial test after the wiring's completed and, prior to each departure from home or a camp spot or where ever, this problem does not appear. The reason, there's no "inertia" in your lighting tests. Meaning, the brakes (and brake arm/pedal) of the toad is not being applied as it would be during braking of the coach while driving.

So, the brake lights of the toad, being activated by the toads brake pedal, do not show until you're under way. So, that's how the system works. Now, some folks will simply say well, that's no big deal. Well, it is a "big deal" because it can easily confuse a driver following one wired that way. Now, I don't know if any accidents have been caused by this situation but, I just simply chose not to take a chance and wire it the way I did.

As for Hondas warranty, I guess you could say I took or, am taking a chance at a possible void. But, if one really wants to get down to "brass tacks" so to speak, I guess it's possible that Honda could say it's voided too because of drilling into the housing and adding lights, maybe not. But, that's all hypothetical and most likely would not happen. I'll take my chances in wiring it my way. Besides, when done my way, and resistors are correctly placed, there's no chance of faults created by my style of wiring it for towing. It's been like that, in this car, for 7 months now and all's well. As state previously, I've done many other tow vehicles the exact same, and all's well with those too. So, it's a preference thing.

Now, as to your question on the NAV in the CR-V. Well it's kind of a long story but, the short version is, we wanted as nice of a car in the newly chosen toad of the Honda CR-V as we traded in, in our '07 Grand Cherokee Overland. It had every bell and whistle imaginable. That included NAV and blue tooth accessories and operations. Well, the Honda's NAV includes blue tooth and, steering wheel controls for phone, radio, volume, climate controls and more. The NAV screen is good and, one more feature that comes with NAV is, automatic back-up camera which, incedentally, is just like the Grand Cherokee.

So, that's why we pursued the CR-V EX-L due to it's level of options. Plus, we wanted AWD too. So, there you have it.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 07:55 AM   #22
Winnebago Camper

Get the Blue Ox bulb kit, BX8869, easiest way to go. You don't tap into the vehicle wiring at all. You use a 1" hole saw to cut a hole int the RED lens tail light area and install the new bulb, then run the wires to the front and put on whatever plug you want. The Blue Ox kit comes with a 6 way. No converters or other parts needed.
camper33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 08:10 AM   #23
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donovan View Post
Thank You for your information. I have a 2012 CRV with seperat turn signals and brake lights. I too want to use all of them. The tail light conveter box on your diagram; where can I find them?

Vehicle to Vehicle Taillight Converter Tow Ready Accessories and Parts 118158 $25.00

Dick
Old 06-10-2012, 11:07 PM   #24
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theberrys View Post
Yep,
That's the same one I listed and use. It's a simple system to install and all lights work correctly.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wiring