Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Towing, Hitching and Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-13-2020, 10:46 AM   #1
Winnebago Master

What type of ball hitch

The height of the 2" ball on the current hitch we have when mounted on our 2018 Winnie Fuse is 19" off the ground. The dollies we have been looking at suggest anything from 12-16" (depending on the model) so I have to install a drop-down hitch to lower the height.

I have found 2 different types of extension for the ball itself - one is a 90 degree adjustable that would position the ball directly below the end of the receiver and the other is an angled drop-down that places the ball further back from the end of the receiver.

If I remember my Physics correctly there would be more torque applied by the angled ball hitch but I might be overthinking this whole thing. Does it really make any difference if I am towing a 400 pound dolly with a 2600 pound car mounted on it? The hitch on the Winnie Fuse is rated at 5000 pounds but the Fuse itself has a tow limit of about 3400 pounds at the way we load our RV.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dropdown1.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	172719  
Attached Images

AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 05:46 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I had pretty much the same set up...so I put an 8" drop angled hitch which works very well with my Master tow dolly..When loading or unloading there is a pin to pull which allows the rear to swing down (pivot) and makes it easier to drive the vehicle up onto the dolly.. the design of the dolly does not put a lot of weight on the tongue..Your fuse will handle the rig very well..happy trails
Reniram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 04:14 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

No facts just my thoughts. I prefer the angle for this reason. If you have to brake hard the angle hitch has a brace that will help with the stopping force the dolly will have. The right angle does not have that. Having to do two very hard quick stops I felt better. Yes my dolly has brakes that help all so.
be happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 09:52 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

The longer the lever on the ball mount the more force it will apply to the receiver. Archimedes stated it simply over 1,000 years ago - "Give me a long enough lever and I will move the world" so you would want the shortest overall length that will still drop the ball to an acceptable height.

As long as the drop adapter is rated for a 3,000 lb or greater load along with matches or exceeds the tongue weight of the dolly or anything else you might tow then you should be good. Extra capacity on the height adapter won't hurt aside from a few lbs extra weight but you are wise to limit leverage due to unnecessary additional length.

That Curt angled model pictured is re-enforced that way due to the lighter duty materials its made of and longer overall length so it has a lower tow rating than the straight one which likely has at least double the capacity if not more. The angled Curt has more capacity than needed in this case when used as a drop being rated at 5,000 lbs GTW and 500 lbs tongue hitch weight. While the shorter straight one may be rated at 10,000 to 12,000 lbs GTW and 1,200 lbs tongue weight. The straight drops will be around 9 inches long while the angled ones can be close to or greater than 12 inches long.

See:
https://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Bal...7E_8_Inch.aspx

Listing of 8 inch drops:

https://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Bal...7E_8_Inch.aspx

For expert advice you could also just ask E-Trailers Techs.
Old 01-23-2020, 01:48 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilV View Post
As long as the drop adapter is rated for a 3,000 lb or greater load along with matches or exceeds the tongue weight of the dolly or anything else you might tow then you should be good. Extra capacity on the height adapter won't hurt aside from a few lbs extra weight but you are wise to limit leverage due to unnecessary additional length.

That Curt angled model pictured is re-enforced that way due to the lighter duty materials its made of and longer overall length so it has a lower tow rating than the straight one which likely has at least double the capacity if not more. The angled Curt has more capacity than needed in this case when used as a drop being rated at 5,000 lbs GTW and 500 lbs tongue hitch weight. While the shorter straight one may be rated at 10,000 to 12,000 lbs GTW and 1,200 lbs tongue weight. The straight drops will be around 9 inches long while the angled ones can be close to or greater than 12 inches long.
The tow weight I am dealing with is about 3100 pounds (car = 2650, tow dolly = 450) with a tongue weight of about 150 pounds. I had thought I would use the angled Curt but noticed that it is welded and wondered if a single formed piece might be stronger than a welded one. I just don't know since I never really dealt with this kind of thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilV View Post
For expert advice you could also just ask E-Trailers Techs.
Perhaps I should call them to ask but I always end up asking myself if they are giving me straight answers or steering me to the item with the highest profit margin. Perhaps I am being too suspicious.
AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote