Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2016, 12:41 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

What to tow and how to tow it???

We have a 2010 Winnebago Sightseer 33c...first time RVers. Learned a lot already but have soooo much more to learn.

We're ready to start towing something but not sure which vehicle would be best to tow and what "system" we should use to tow it.

Vehicles we have to choose from are a 2013 Ford F150 and 2015 Ford Edge.

We want to flat tow. We've checked our vehicle owner's manuals and flat towing is ok for either.

Recommendations?

I'm new to the site. If this question has been asked a gazillion times already, forgive me...just point me in the right direction, please.
JillDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 12:44 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

If you are indifferent as to which vehicle, I would go for the lighter one. Might be more utility with the PU if you ever need to carry a golf cart. Good luck
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 12:56 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

If you go to Motorhome magazines website, they have a pretty comprehensive list toads and their restrictions. I would pick the one easiest to tow with the least restrictions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JillDS View Post
We have a 2010 Winnebago Sightseer 33c...first time RVers. Learned a lot already but have soooo much more to learn.

We're ready to start towing something but not sure which vehicle would be best to tow and what "system" we should use to tow it.

We want to flat tow. We've checked our vehicle owner's manuals and flat towing is ok for either.

Recommendations?

I'm new to the site. If this question has been asked a gazillion times already, forgive me...just point me in the right direction, please.
jrpend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 01:48 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrpend View Post
If you go to Motorhome magazines website, they have a pretty comprehensive list toads and their restrictions. I would pick the one easiest to tow with the least restrictions.

Thanks for that tip!

Visited their page and found the "Downloadable Dinghy Guides"...lots of good info! Ended up subscribing to the magazine.
Old 06-13-2016, 02:12 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

What to tow.....what is your gross vehicle weight rating? What is your gross combined weight rating? What is your hitch rated for? How much does each vehicle (truck, car, & motorhome) weigh ready to travel. With this information, we can help you with a more informed response.

Towing either vehicle 4 down will require a tow bar, base plate, and braking system.
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 02:15 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmac View Post
If you are indifferent as to which vehicle, I would go for the lighter one. Might be more utility with the PU if you ever need to carry a golf cart. Good luck

Yup, some things that are taller than the Edge can carry would be a reason for the F150. Having more security from theft and weather would lean towards the Edge.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 02:21 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Send a message via Yahoo to rk911
Quote:

Recommendations?

before you buy anything or decide which vehicle to tow it would be a good idea to spend some time learning about your motorhome's actual weight and weight ratings as well as the actual weight of each of your potential toads.

- GVWR (gross vehicle weight rating): the maximum weight the chassis can support including itself.

- GCWR (gross combination weight rating): the maximum weight the vehicle can propel including itself.

- GAWR (gross axle weight rating): the maximum weight each axle can support. each axle will have a different GAWR.in a MH the sum of the GAWRs will usually, but not always, equal the GVWR.

- GVW (gross vehicle weight): the total weight of the MH as you have loaded it for travel.includes food, fuel, fresh water, clothing, supplies, people, pets and stuff.

- GAW (gross axle weight): the total weight of the above loaded MH on each axle.please note that the GAW on a particular axle should not exceed that axle's GAWR.

- Empty Weight: the weight of the MH with full fuel and LP tanks but which is otherwise empty of food, fresh water, clothing, supplies, people, pets and stuff.

- Payload: the difference between the GVWR and the Empty Weight and represents how much additional weight can be added.

in general, the maximum amount of weight you can safely tow (diesel or gas) will be the lesser of the following:

• the GCWR (gross combination weight rating) of the MH minus the actual weight of the MH as it is loaded for travel (includes fuel, fresh water, food, clothing, people, pets, supplies, etc.)

• the weight rating of your tow bar

• the weight rating of your hitch

this is why it's vital to know what your MH weighs...by axle...as it is loaded and configure for travel before choosing a toad.

load the MH as you would for a trip including fuel, water, food, clothing, pets, supplies and people. get individual axle weights and compare them to the GAWR for that axle. if either axle is overweight then either move weight to the other axle or eliminate the weight altogether. you need to check individual axle weights because it is possible to be under the GVWR of the MH even if one axle is overweight. I know 'cuz it happened to us.

2016 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 04:36 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

While you are travelling from on spot to another

1) What items will you want to transport inside the toad?
2) What items will you want to transport that could be outside the toad?

Once you reach your destination you will park the rig and drive the toad.

1) How many people will you want to be able to ride in the toad?
2) Consider the comfort of the folks riding in the toad
3) Will you be taking long excursions in the toad?
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 06:09 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Sightseer/Sunova 33C Weight Ratings and weights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockwood27 View Post
What to tow.....what is your gross vehicle weight rating? What is your gross combined weight rating? What is your hitch rated for? How much does each vehicle (truck, car, & motorhome) weigh ready to travel. With this information, we can help you with a more informed response.

Towing either vehicle 4 down will require a tow bar, base plate, and braking system.
The 2010 Sightseer/Sunova 33C has the following weights if it has the Ford F53 22K chassis and most of them do:
GAWR front=8,000 lbs
GAWR rear=15,000 lbs
GVWR=22,000 lbs
GCWR=26,000 lbs
5,000 lb rated hitch, 500 lb vertical

Fully loaded for an extended trip with four persons the MH was 20,260 lb. Steer axle was 6,580 lbs and the drive axle was 13,680 lbs. The Jeep Wrangler was 3,920 lbs. Total gross combined weight was 24,180 lbs.
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 02:05 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Quote:

Recommendations?

Well your F150's will put you in the 4 - 5k range as far as weight, that is base according to FORD.
The other thing you need to consider is do you want 4 wheel flat towing?
Don't trust the dealers, read the owners manual to be sure. Some you have to run the engine every 500 miles, which isn't bad if you drive that far in a day and disconnect when you get to a campground.
There are a lot of things to think about so don't listen to me get busy and get to reading.
Old 06-14-2016, 07:21 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGewl View Post
There are a lot of things to think about so don't listen to me get busy and get to reading.
Trust me when I tell you...we've been reading sooooo much. Lots to learn.

Thanks everyone for all the information.

I've discovered we can tow 5000 lb so the F150 would be too heavy....we'll be towing the Edge instead. We'll be hauling the fishing gear, corn hole game and odds and end in the toad...not much at all.

GVRW is 22000 lb
GARW front is 7500 lb
GARW rear is 15000 lb
Old 06-14-2016, 07:29 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockwood27 View Post
So this is what we'll be getting....tow bar, base plate and braking system to tow a 2015 Edge.

Any brands we should lean towards/stay away from?
Old 06-14-2016, 07:46 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via AIM to JohnFreyja Send a message via MSN to JohnFreyja
Just a note of assurance....I tow a 2014 Edge Sport. Easy set up tows great and I'm using "Air Force 1" brake system.
JohnFreyja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 08:05 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Thanks, John! Will research the "Air Force 1" brake system.
Old 06-14-2016, 09:23 PM   #15
Winnie-Wise

Quote:

I've discovered we can tow 5000 lb so the F150 would be too heavy....we'll be towing the Edge instead. We'll be hauling the fishing gear, corn hole game and odds and end in the toad...not much at all.

GVRW is 22000 lb
GARW front is 7500 lb
GARW rear is 15000 lb
I would rethink the Edge if its the 2.0L

Recreational Towing
2.0L EcoBoost vehicles with automatic transmission (6F35) CANNOT be flat-towed (all wheels on the ground) as vehicle or transmission damage may occur.

But it's OK if

You can tow your 2.7L EcoBoost or 3.5L (6F50 or 6F55) equipped vehicle with all four wheels on the ground.

That's straight from the 2016 Owners Manual.

Now you have chosen the car, now you need to choose the type/Brand of Tow System you want and the Type/Brand Base Plates and Braking system and Lighting System.

I would suggest, if possible on the brake light system to spend the extra money and get one that is plug and play. That way no cutting of wires and having to add diodes and such.
As far as the Braking system, If I were to do it again I would go with system that is permanently installed so I don't have do anything but plug it in to the MH(Stay-IN-Play Dou; Brake Buddy Stealth; Roadmaster Invisi Brake). They work with any type of MH without having to do any mods to it.

Good luck and Keep Reading.
Old 06-14-2016, 09:55 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

I've used BrakeMaster for years. Partly because their factory was 20 miles from home plus they make great products. Now they've moved and are only about 10 miles away. Still using the original Sterling towbar and BrakeMaster unit I originally purchased some years ago.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 06:07 AM   #17
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGewl View Post
As far as the Braking system, If I were to do it again I would go with system that is permanently installed so I don't have do anything but plug it in to the MH(Stay-IN-Play Dou; Brake Buddy Stealth; Roadmaster Invisi Brake). They work with any type of MH without having to do any mods to it.

I like that idea...permanently installed, just plug it in.

I have a 3.5L (6F55) in the Edge. Read my owner's manual and visited RV & Trailer Towing Guides | fleet.ford.com to read even more. Good to go, 4 wheels down with the Edge.
Old 06-15-2016, 08:17 AM   #18
Winnie-Wise

Quote:

GVRW is 22000 lb
GARW front is 7500 lb
GARW rear is 15000 lb
You may know this stuff already, but if not, it's a bit interesting. The Winnebago Sightseer 33C is identical to the Itasca Sunova 33C, Winnebago just put different badges on them after they came off of the line.

Here's a little quirk in the 2010 Sightseer/Sunova 33C's. Ford did not make an F53 22K chassis in 2010 that was designated as an 2010 chassis. The F53 22K chassis that were built in 2010 were designated as 2011's. So the 2010 33C's were built on what Ford designated as the 2011 F53 chassis. A Workhorse chassis was available as an option for your unit in 2010. The emblem on the steering wheel will tell you which chassis you have. I would assume that you have the Ford chassis.

The chassis Model Year is designated in the VIN. The tenth digit designates the Model Year, a "B" in that position means that it is a 2011 MY chassis.

This can be confirmed for your unit by checking the placard below the driver's side window. There were a few changes to the chassis from the 2009 chassis to the 2011. They upped the fuel tank capacity from 75 gal to 81 gal. Some promotional materials say 80 gal but the official EPA sticker on the engine says it's an 81 gal tank. Also Ford upped the GAWR for the front axle from 7500 lbs to 8000 lbs.

Just some info that might come in handy sometime down the road. Also, congratulations on your unit. We have had ours since new and have about 24,000 mi. on it. We really enjoy it and I enjoy messing around with it as it has become sort of another hobby for me.

https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas...011/specs.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_6284.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	318.9 KB
ID:	130307   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_6285.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	384.1 KB
ID:	130308  

aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 12:16 PM   #19
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by aauummm View Post
The chassis Model Year is designated in the VIN. The tenth digit designates the Model Year, a "B" in that position means that it is a 2011 MY chassis.
Thanks!

I entered our chassis VIN at www.vin-decoder.org and determined we have a 2009 Ford F-550 Super Duty Stripped Chassis. Our tenth digit is a 9.
Old 06-15-2016, 01:51 PM   #20
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via AIM to JohnFreyja Send a message via MSN to JohnFreyja
Jill & Steve,
I have thought of a couple other considerations for the Edge. I read that on long drives (towing) the Edge must be in Accessory position and the Battery tends to run down. My installer said it is easy to add a power wire via the normal wiring that will keep the Battery fully charged. Also, I would have recommended the "M & G" braking system but there isn't room under the hood of the Edge. Both M & G and Airforce One are installed units so one connection with an air hose plus, brake-away, and safety cables. My Base Plate, "Demco", company advised me that their base plate will not work if the Edge has the "Adaptive Cruise Control" system. That may have changed by 2016 and of course wouldn't be an issue if you have just the regular cruise control. Not sure if other manufacturers have the same issue or not.
Hope this helps,
John
JohnFreyja is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow