Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO TECH & TOW > Towing, Hitching and Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-27-2017, 01:31 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

VW Golf GTI on the flat

Does anyone have any knowledge or experience on towing a VW Golf GTI manual transmission on the flat? I have been told it is not possible because it has electronic brakes (as opposed to hydraulic brakes), and in order to tow, the car must be turned on and the battery runs down.

Thanks,

Cary
Cary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 02:40 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

All brakes are hydraulic, however it could well have an electric power assist. In any case, there may well be other reasons that towing is not recommended, like axle shaft configuration, transmission bearings when the motor isn't running, etc.

Wish I could tell you more but that's all I know.

Perhaps there's a tidbit of info you can use here: Dinghy towing - TDIClub Forums
CJBROWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 07:01 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for your response. Not looking forward to towing with a dolly. Sounds like much more work than on the flat.
Old 10-30-2017, 07:01 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cary View Post
Thanks for your response. Not looking forward to towing with a dolly. Sounds like much more work than on the flat.
We towed the Wife's Passat for years on a dolly with little problem. We now tow my Explorer with a tow bar though. If that's the car you prefer to tow, don't let the things you hear about a dolly stop you.

The only thing I didn't like was getting underneath to hook up the safety chains, and for that I carried a creeper in the trunk of the car. I could load, strap down, and fasten the chains quicker than I can hook up the tow bar.

A good dolly with surge brakes eliminates the need for additional braking in your car. We used a Demco Kar Kaddy III.
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 08:51 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooperhawk View Post
We towed the Wife's Passat for years on a dolly with little problem. We now tow my Explorer with a tow bar though. If that's the car you prefer to tow, don't let the things you hear about a dolly stop you.

The only thing I didn't like was getting underneath to hook up the safety chains, and for that I carried a creeper in the trunk of the car. I could load, strap down, and fasten the chains quicker than I can hook up the tow bar.

A good dolly with surge brakes eliminates the need for additional braking in your car. We used a Demco Kar Kaddy III.
Thanks, Cooperhawk. I have read so much on what a hassle it is to use a dolly. I appreciate your more optimistic opinion and recommendations.
Old 10-31-2017, 09:15 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

The single biggest issue with a tow-dolly is simply it's presence - when you're parked, stored, camped, wherever your RV is you got this extra piece of hardware to deal with. If you can get past all that they work just fine.
For me, our setup, how we use the RV, and where we travel, it is simply not a viable option.
CJBROWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 02:56 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I am new to RVing. I plan to purchase a class C Tiffin Wayfarer. With a small RV. Like that, can’t iI just leave it attached.
Old 10-31-2017, 03:16 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cary View Post
I am new to RVing. I plan to purchase a class C Tiffin Wayfarer. With a small RV. Like that, can’t iI just leave it attached.
Sure if you have a pull through or you are good at backing it up attached like that. I would just unhook it and push it back into the campsite and then either rehook it up or back over the tongue if there wasn't enough room.

It wasn't that hard to back up manually if the ground was level. If I had kept it I would have put a trailer hitch on the Passat to move it around with.
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 08:48 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Will have to see how difficult to push the dolly around by bruit force. That's a good thought, to move it around with the toad vehicle. We just bought the Kia Soul !Exclaim model (curb weight 2900 lbs) with automatic transmission That will be our dollied vehicle. Thanks again for your thoughts.
Old 11-08-2017, 06:20 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

You don't say what year. I have 2000 Manual TDI that I have been flat towing for 6 years. Seems wear tires out a little faster, but I appreciate not having to mess with a dolly. If you have a 2000-2004 Manual Golf, I would be surprised if you couldn't 4 down it.
Alex
AlexP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 08:32 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

It is a newer model and according to VW, it can’t be towed flat.
Old 11-10-2017, 02:08 PM   #12
Winnie-Wise

According to VW, none of their models can be towed flat. You really need to talk to a VW mechanic is knows their transmissions. The issue is where is the transmission lubricated from - the input shaft (can't be towed) or the output shaft (can be towed).
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 04:13 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

I was told by a VW dealer that the problem is with the steering system. It use to be mechanical but now is electronic. Therefore when towing, you must leave the electrical system on and the battery runs down.
Old 11-14-2017, 10:49 AM   #14
Winnie-Wise

You either disconnect the battery or add a charge line from the motorhome to the car. Most US cars with electric steering advise disconnecting the battery to depower the steering.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 11:22 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for your response. Now may be towing a Kia Soul automatic. So think have no other option than a dolly.