Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2008, 11:31 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

I presently use a Brake Buddy in my 1999 CR/V when towing it behind my 2006 Adventurer 35A. I am considering replacing the BB with a permanently installed system. It seems that the US Gear system and the SMI Stay-IN-Play DUO would both meet my needs. Hence the decision boils down to:

1. Cost an complexity of installation.
2. Cost and complexity of moving the system to another dinghy when the CR/V dies.

While both systems are extensively discussed on the web, I have not seen these issues addressed. Any feedback that you may have would be appreciated.

Arne

https://www.irv2.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=664&cat=2
ARNE-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 11:31 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I presently use a Brake Buddy in my 1999 CR/V when towing it behind my 2006 Adventurer 35A. I am considering replacing the BB with a permanently installed system. It seems that the US Gear system and the SMI Stay-IN-Play DUO would both meet my needs. Hence the decision boils down to:

1. Cost an complexity of installation.
2. Cost and complexity of moving the system to another dinghy when the CR/V dies.

While both systems are extensively discussed on the web, I have not seen these issues addressed. Any feedback that you may have would be appreciated.

Arne

Old 01-21-2008, 12:23 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Get the Roadmaster system. I have one one mine. It utilizes the power brakes on the tow vehicle and is a plug-in when you hook up the power cord. Really a great setup
Old 01-21-2008, 12:39 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

ARNE-T, you have a 9 year old vehicle that you are contemplating replacing a device that you can move to a new vehicle with one that will be permanent? I have a brake buddy and it is perfectly fine and the best part is that I will be able to move it and the tow bar to my next car (which is still probably 4-5 years down the road). Will the permanent install add to the resale value? Will it add to the functionality? Does the convenience of permanent install out way the hassle of putting in the brake buddy? Just my 2 cents.

2005 Honda Element
bjbkkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 02:07 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

bjbkkb. You state my question very well: What does it take to move either of these system to a different car. Now for some answers..

Arne

Old 01-22-2008, 02:57 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Love our SMI Stay in Play. Works exactly as advertised and no problems after about 12,000 miles. Easy to adjust how aggressive you want breaking to be. Like being able to take the box out when we're not towing for awhile (1 plug and 2 air line disconnects). If it has been removed, it takes less than a minute to plug back in. Takes up almost no room in back seat floor. Can unhook car from coach without messing with the SMI. I frequently forget to turn it off and it does not drain the battery. Great customer support, if needed (I had 2 dumb questions). They called me after about 6 months to see if it was working as advertised.

Installation was very easy...I did it myself and I have zero skills under a hood. The hardest part was deciding where to drill through the firewall, and on many cars you would not need to since you can usually run the wires through an existing hole. Wiring is easy...very good directions. Next hardest thing was finding the hot side of the brake light switch. A call to SMI and it was done. You tap into a vacuum line so that is easy and not scary. The cylinder that "pushes" the brake pedal down clamps out of the way and easily removable. This is the only mechanical aspect of installation: 2 screws.

I could have mine uninstalled from the jeep in about 15 minutes and it would take about 1 hour to reinstall.

I can't speak for the other system. Steve
Old 01-22-2008, 03:21 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Belqique. Thanks for the helpful info. What did you have to do to the rig?

Arne

Old 01-22-2008, 04:38 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I have the USGEAR product. It is not easy to move from car to car. I recommend it only to those who are not contemplating a change in towed vehicle.

The USGEAR product does work outstandingly and I am very pleased with the one plug hookup and un hook.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 05:39 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ARNE-T:
What did you have to do to the rig? Arne </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Arne: Nothing to do in the coach but stick the remote RF receiver somewhere (cigarette pack size with a tiny 10" antenna). You have to tap into a 12v wire somewhere. This receiver senses if the TOAD brakes are activated for more than 30 seconds (I think) and buzzes and turns on a tiny red lite. The idea is that if you're doing a long brake it will buzz but you don't care since you know the car brakes are on; however, if it buzzes and you're not braking, something is wrong (and it never happened to me).

You plug the TOAD into the coach like normal. As part of the hookup, clearly explained in the instructions, the SMI taps into your TOAD brake lights. Steve
Old 01-22-2008, 06:57 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

I also have the smi. I love the fact that all I have to do is flip a switch in toad and off we go. also great support. I had a small problem and they offered for me to take to shop of my choice and they would pay for it. we were able to work it out over phone. Installation doesnt look to bad. the only reason I didnt do it myself was because of 3 back operations.
Old 01-24-2008, 11:02 AM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

I echo was Gary said. I have the US Gear product and it does work great. I was going to install it myself but after receving the parts, no way. Too complicated. The coach side is pretty easy. Tap into a couple of wires under the dash, then either use the wire supplied by the chassis builder to connect to rear plug or run another wire to the rear from front of coach.

However to install in the toad, you must add a vaccuum pump under the dash, then install the solenoid under the seat or passenger side dash, then run a cable to the brake pedal.

I think I paid for about 6 hours labor to have it installed. Would not want to transfer to a different toad. Did transfer the coach part myself and that was easy since the wires were all provided by Spartan in the new coach.

Of the two, it sounds like the SMI is easier to transfer.

Hope this answers your question.
RUFINIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 11:30 AM   #12

We also have the US gear. That was the system that was recommended by the tech that does all of our "stuff". I an sure it is a bugger to install, but he did it, not us. There is a vacuum pump mounted on the floor between the seat and the driver side door. It is a one plug event when it's time to hook up, and we like that. There is an indicator light and control on the dash to adjust the breaking if needed. We will be putting on our new coach when it gets here.
glenda1908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 03:57 PM   #13
Winnebago Watcher

I have just removed my US Gear system from my 1998 Tracker towed car and it took me about 2 hrs to remove.One reason why it took so long is that it was 10 Degree Celsius below 0 and all the wires were very stiff as were my fingers.No problem to remove the system , all wire connection are spade terminals to push on . I will re-install in my 2007 Suzuki Grand Vitara when it gets to at least 10 Deg. above 0. One thing I learned is to use stainless steel bolts to anything that will be exposed to outside mud,snow ,salt and sand. The bolts to hold the Selenoid to the floor pan under the seat and the bolts that hold the pulley to the firewall to direct the cable square to the brake pedal,these are two with which I had problems and eventually had to cut them off.
Any thing else is a piece of cake. The vacuum pump mounts under the hood somewhere where you you can hold it in place using cable ties. Wires are easy as well and fit within an existing crommet to connect to an electronic box under your dash board.Install the Break away switch on the front bumber at some convinient place and you are done.
Gerry